re-entering the field after an absence

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Janet in Brooklyn, New York

87 months ago

I have been a medical social worker for 17 years in NYC hospitals, but resigned my job five years ago when the hospital I worked for (as did so many hospitals here) shut down their social work department and made their social workers case managers.

Since then, I have not been able to find work, as my resume is all medical social work. Does anyone have any ideas for an older person like myself, who, although has tons of experience, has been unemployed and "phased-out" of their particular niche of social work? Or are there any other older social workers out there with whom I can connect?

Thanks, Janet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tara in Toms River, New Jersey

87 months ago

Janet in Brooklyn, New York said: I have been a medical social worker for 17 years in NYC hospitals, but resigned my job five years ago when the hospital I worked for (as did so many hospitals here) shut down their social work department and made their social workers case managers.

Since then, I have not been able to find work, as my resume is all medical social work. Does anyone have any ideas for an older person like myself, who, although has tons of experience, has been unemployed and "phased-out" of their particular niche of social work? Or are there any other older social workers out there with whom I can connect?

Thanks, Janet

Good day Janet. Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, has an outstanding Social Services Department & Montefiore has always been willing to hired seasoned professionals such as yourself. A friend (52 yrs. old) holding MSW took a chance and went directly over to Montefiore unannounced, (7 yrs.ago) without any scheduled appt. with resume in hand - advocated for her self & made her own contacts by approaching a few "friendly" nurses who led her to the dir. of s.s. dept. the dir. was open to listening to her story. My friend since then has pass away, but, she did tell me, she was happy over there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Brooklyn, New York

87 months ago

Thank you so much, Tara! I will definitely look into Montefiore...especially if they are open to older workers...

Janet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tara in Toms River, New Jersey

87 months ago

Janet in Brooklyn, New York said: Thank you so much, Tara! I will definitely look into Montefiore...especially if they are open to older workers...

Janet

You are truly welcome! By the way, please try to remember that for those hospitals that are seeking a social worker, you have what they desire, which is, well, to quote you "tons of experience". How does one achieve tons of experience? by being in the trenches for years, thats how & thats a great thing to be proud of and brag about! Do focus on your most position attribute, work experience. You have what the young ones only dream to have. Please do not get discouraged. Good Luck Janet. Keep in touch & update me.

Timothy Fish in Kansas City, Kansas

71 months ago

tara in Toms River, New Jersey said: You are truly welcome! By the way, please try to remember that for those hospitals that are seeking a social worker, you have what they desire, which is, well, to quote you "tons of experience". How does one achieve tons of experience? by being in the trenches for years, thats how & thats a great thing to be proud of and brag about! Do focus on your most position attribute, work experience. You have what the young ones only dream to have. Please do not get discouraged. Good Luck Janet. Keep in touch & update me.

Dear, Tara
My name is Timothy Paul Fish and I am a Senior student at JC Harmon High school in Kansas City, Kansas. I was just wondering if you could give me some advice about what to expect in five years and in 15 years as a social worker. If you could email me back I would really like that.

Toni in Morganville, New Jersey

71 months ago

Hi,
I am looking for some practical advice. I graduated with my MSW in 1997. I did two great internships in grad school, but did not work long after grad school. I had my kids, one of whom was diagnosed with autism. He is 9 years old now. I have been teaching psychology part time at a local community college. I want to get back into social work, but don't have enough post-grad experience. Also, I feel "rusty" and not as self-assured since it is so many years out of school. I feel like I need to do another internship or something to get back on track. Anyone have ideas about how I can get update about the field and find someone who will take a chance on hiring me. I am committed, motivated and dedicated. I know once I get back into the work I will fine. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas!
Thanks,
Toni

Kalima in Brooklyn, New York

71 months ago

Toni in Morganville, New Jersey said: Hi,
I am looking for some practical advice. I graduated with my MSW in 1997. I did two great internships in grad school, but did not work long after grad school. I had my kids, one of whom was diagnosed with autism. He is 9 years old now. I have been teaching psychology part time at a local community college. I want to get back into social work, but don't have enough post-grad experience. Also, I feel "rusty" and not as self-assured since it is so many years out of school. I feel like I need to do another internship or something to get back on track. Anyone have ideas about how I can get update about the field and find someone who will take a chance on hiring me. I am committed, motivated and dedicated. I know once I get back into the work I will fine. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas!
Thanks,
Toni

Hunter has a certificate program for MSWs who want further education. That might be a way of getting your foot in the door. You can also apply as a case manager to get your feet wet, and then apply for MSW level jobs. Volunteering may also be a good idea.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Thank you for the advice. Others have recommended volunteer work, too. I will give it a try.

Andrea in Victoria, British Columbia

60 months ago

Hi Toni. I am in a very similar situation and was wondering how you are doing. I too stopped working to be home with my children, and I am looking to re-enter the field. Let me know how the orientation and job search process went for you.

60 months ago

Hi,
I landed a job! Today I am working at this position for 3 months. I waited until I found something that would help me get the supervision I needed for my LCSW. That was an important factor for a job for me. I am glad I waited. The best thing I did was not to apply to every social work job. I stayed focused and only applied for those that met all my criteria and I invested more time and energy in those interviews & follow up calls & letters. Good luck with your search.
Toni

Andrea in Victoria, British Columbia

60 months ago

Thank you for your response, Toni. So glad it worked out well and it is a comfort to hear our degree is still so marketable!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.