What should I major in?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Curious2010 in Harrisburg, North Carolina

17 months ago

I am currently going to a community college but I want to become a social worker and help others. I plan to transfer to a four year university in South Carolina.I know for sure that I want to major in Spanish and become fluent. Should I also major in Social work,or can I get my bachelors in Spanish and then get my Masters in Social Work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

thompson in Thunder Bay, Ontario

17 months ago

Curious2010 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: I am currently going to a community college but I want to become a social worker and help others. I plan to transfer to a four year university in South Carolina.I know for sure that I want to major in Spanish and become fluent. Should I also major in Social work,or can I get my bachelors in Spanish and then get my Masters in Social Work?

I just got my BSW, and I sort of new at the beginning that jobs would not be plentiful. I was planning on getting my MSW, but I am putting on the brakes and thinking about getting the Registered practical nurse, which is the same as an LPN in the USA. I find no use of getting an MSW in this environment of cut backs. The government is only going to keep front line workers, why? How else will it pay for all the boomers that will need health care. Besides child welfare and drug treatment centres, social work could disapear. Nursing is front line like police and fire. To go for a MSW and just end up in Child Welfare would be academic suicide. Think before you start a social work degree. Its a disguised psychology degree, good for coffee talk.

What do you think, BSW/LPN or just an MSW??????????????? it makes no sense to go forward in a deadend area with little jobs to bounce around on and little choices. I have talked to many professionals and they said for me to compliment by BSW with an LPN would be the best I can do right now , and it would be more powerful then just a MSW. I would have more transferable skills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.