How to train as a social worker

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

BonBon in Liverpool, United Kingdom

84 months ago

I am wondering if anybody can help me out with advice regarding training. I am a graduate (English not social work) and I currently work with young offenders for a local authority. I need to leave my job to become qualified but i'm concerned about financially supporting myself as I have a mortgage to contend with. What I want to know really is if any of you have done the MA, how many hours was it? Could you have fitted part time job in as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ronald Neslon in Bronx, New York

83 months ago

I'm a senior at the College of NewRochelle and is expected to apply to graduate school for social work. I have a solid background working in the field of social service for 5 years. I would like to know if a social service organization can hire me with a Liberal Arts Degree until achieving an MSW.

The purpose of this question is because I would very much like to work in the capacity of group homes, juvenile intake or outake programs. This is a passion that I'm pursuiing and do believe that I can make a difference in an At-Risk childs life.

When I think of social services, words that come to mind are life saving, life affirming, social responsibility, empowerment, and quality services. These words also come to mind when I think of my work history, educational background, and future employment goals. With this in mind, I am confident that, as an employee of any social services organization, I would be an added asset and would be able to enhance the quality services that have become the hallmark of what social services represents.

Sincerly,

Ronald Nelson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Allison

83 months ago

Ronald, you could get an entry level BA job in social work. Try looking at social service.com. But if the posistion requires that you need a MSW , they pretty much want to see that you have the degree, and some places want to see that you get licensed by taking the MSW license test on the computer after you complete your degree. I did my internship for my 2nd year of the MSW program in a county jail and it was very rewarding. However, they would not hire me unitl I got my LMSW or in other words until I got licensed. So explore your options. There are many positions open for bachelor level socilal workers in Manhattan the the bouroughs. I live on Long Island, so I am very familiar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allison

83 months ago

Bon Bon,
The Masters social work program I completed at the State University of New York was a 64 credit 2 year program. You took about anywhere between 3 to 5 classes a semester in addition to a 14hour a week internship every semster. I did work during this, but it was hard to fit everything in. It is possible though, but plan to get a little stressed out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jlynn64 in Bristol, Tennessee

75 months ago

I am currently pursuing an online bachelor's degree in Psychology with Kaplan University. I am wondering if I will be able to get into the field of social work with a Psychology degree. Could anyone advise me? I have 12 years' experience in the medical field. I am trying to decide if social work or child Psychology is my niche. I have worked as a foster parent and I know that it can be very challenging. Yet, I would love to be able to help these children.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Angelize in Staten Island, New York

74 months ago

Hello,

I'm a Licensed Social Worker who received a BA in Psych - I then went to NYU for my Master degree in Social Work.

So, yes, you can get into a Masters Program in a School of
Social Work with a degree in psych.

However, that's provided that your BA was obtained from an ACREDITED Program - I don't know if Kaplan's online study is considered as such.
I would contact a local School of SW to inquire.

In certain states, you will need to to be licensed to practice Social work - that's once you have completed a Masters Program and have your degree.

You can research the subject further at the National Assoc. of Social Workers - NASW. They have a website, and every State has it's own chapter, so you'll know exactly what is required to become a Social Worker in your State.

I hope I helped.

Good luck with this....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Thank you so much for your comments. Kaplan is an accredited school. I plan to go on and attain a Master's degree from another university, once I am finished with my bachelor's. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

alicia

74 months ago

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I am a college senior, next May I will hopefully have my B.S. In psychology from Mercy college. I am interested in becoming a social worker. Can I become a social worker with only my bachelors in psychology or will I have to earn a masters degree?
Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angelize in NYC, New York

74 months ago

Hello,
You must have a Masters to become a Licensed Social worker.

You may also work as a social worker with a BA in social work - without being licensed - in some areas such as Nursing home.
Good luck!```

74 months ago

I am also pursuing a Bachelor's in Psychology. I have been told that I will have to have a Master's degree in Social Work to work as a social worker. I hope that this helps you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ilr0712 in Radcliff, Kentucky

73 months ago

I 'm considering the field of social work and wanting to know all the options I have as far as the places that social workers can work in.

NY_LMSW in NYC, New York

73 months ago

ilr0712 in Radcliff, Kentucky said: I 'm considering the field of social work and wanting to know all the options I have as far as the places that social workers can work in.

Google it!

Actually, Social workers are in schools, hospitals, home care, Mental health clinics, dialysis centers, police dept. even the corporate field, etc, etc, etc, - we are EVERYWHERE!! (:-})

I have been in all fields, except police & corporate.

ilr0712 in Radcliff, Kentucky

73 months ago

Although you have not worked in those fields, do you know what we do in the police and corporate fields?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

In NY, Social Workers are Team Mates with Special Victim's Squad - Sexual Assault, Domestic violence, Child Abuse.

Yolanda in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

Having a BSW is not enough in the field of Social work. The field is not well paid unlike other field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

m86bj in Syracuse, New York

67 months ago

I have been working as home health aide ,Cna and many direct care jobs . I have just finished my AAS degree in humane services. I am 44 years old and been working in these area for 20 years. Although i completed several internships because of many obstacles it has been a while .I have the skills and experience but i do not know where to start.Any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

m86bj in Syracuse, New York said: I have been working as home health aide ,Cna and many direct care jobs . I have just finished my AAS degree in humane services. I am 44 years old and been working in these area for 20 years. Although i completed several internships because of many obstacles it has been a while .I have the skills and experience but i do not know where to start.Any suggestions.

As everyone in this forum is saying, you really can not get into the field of Social work without your Masters/licence.

Although some agencies will accept BA level. I would suggest that you try casework with such city agencies as: Children's Services (ACS) or in the private sector, such as nursing homes - you'd need a BA in most nursing homes, however. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MySecretDream in Lakefield, Ontario

66 months ago

Do you need an Honours degree in Psyc. to take MSW, of would a general degree be okay? How many years does it take to finish MSW?

66 months ago

MySecretDream in Lakefield, Ontario said: Do you need an Honours degree in Psyc. to take MSW, of would a general degree be okay? How many years does it take to finish MSW?

Hi "Dreamer",
You may get into a Masters social work program with a psych degree ("honours" or not). A Masters program is 2 years. Then you must get your license to practice as an LMSW - or a LCSW if you have enough clinical hours (under supervision, of course). Good luck!

aguilee in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

You can get a MSW in California in 1, 2, 3, or 4 years. If you have a BA you could apply to get a MSW but you at least need some psy, soc, or behavioral classes.

Hard Working in Johnson City, New York

65 months ago

I am currently applying for my MSW. My career goal is to become a School Social Worker. Is the process obtaining an MSW and then taking the test to become licensed...then I will be an LMSW?

Thanks.

65 months ago

Hard Working in Johnson City, New York said: I am currently applying for my MSW. My career goal is to become a School Social Worker. Is the process obtaining an MSW and then taking the test to become licensed...then I will be an LMSW?

Thanks.

That's correct, you must obtain your Masters in Social work, then take the licensing exam - you will then have an LMSW.

For school SW, you will need to contact the Board of Ed and obtain certification for a School Social Worker.

Good luck.

ambarish.k in Bellary, India

65 months ago

I have worked as a Psychiatric counselor in the department of "Child mental Health". Now project was ended. So plz inform me any options available for me.

Jean Luc Picard in London, United Kingdom

64 months ago

Hi my name is Mark, I just registered/join this forum, I currently have six years experience working in the social housing/supported housing field here in london, working with a range of clients with different issues and support needs. I also pursuing a Bachelors Degree in Sociology and Psychology at Middlesex University in London, UK. I Graduate 2011, I want to move to the US and work as a social worker. Would like to make contacts with social work students/professionals in US. From looks of things may have to seriously consider doing a masters degree in social work.
You can contact me by e-mail: mmarkmatrix4@aol.com. Look forward to hearing from any one

beth in Syracuse, New York

64 months ago

sorry can not help you. things are real tough. they cut 1800 jobs for troopers . many of them that recently graduated can not get jobs. same with our field. every one is being cut.

64 months ago

Hi everyone, its me mark, writing from London, for seeing the postings in regards social work, its clear that is not so easy, getting to social work in the US, I have already, e-mailed the NASW, and CSWE, who e-mailed me back saying that they dont evaluate non-social work degrees. I think that their are opportunities still,working in US Healthcare, as I am studying for a Bachelors in Sociology and Psychology, I may do a Masters in Health Psychology, and whilst doing that apply to work in the states. That with my work experience may give me an edge. Would welcome hearing from social work students or professionals in the US. As I looking to make friends as well as useful contacts. Dont be shy, drop me an e-mail, I will reply back, hope to hear from you.
e-mail:mmarkmatrix4@aol.com

64 months ago

Jean Luc Picard in London, United Kingdom said: Hi everyone, its me mark, writing from London, for seeing the postings in regards social work, its clear that is not so easy, getting to social work in the US, I have already, e-mailed the NASW, and CSWE, who e-mailed me back saying that they dont evaluate non-social work degrees. I think that their are opportunities still,working in US Healthcare, as I am studying for a Bachelors in Sociology and Psychology, I may do a Masters in Health Psychology, and whilst doing that apply to work in the states. That with my work experience may give me an edge. Would welcome hearing from social work students or professionals in the US. As I looking to make friends as well as useful contacts. Dont be shy, drop me an e-mail, I will reply back, hope to hear from you.
e-mail:mmarkmatrix4@aol.com

Hello,
If you've been reading the posts in here, then you must know that if you want a job in actual Social work, you MUST have a licence - therefore, you MUST have a Masters in SOCIAL WORK.

No other degree for a social work job will do.

Good luck!

haza500 in West Molesey, United Kingdom

64 months ago

Hi,

I want to train as a social worker but through a company and as a part time course. Where can i find employers that will help me???

64 months ago

Angelize,, thanks for the wise advice, I am considering doing as masters in social work, after I finish my bachelors degree in 18 months time. I am also flipping the script, by looking at working as an allied health professional, e.g rehab, community health counsellor. Of which I have skills and experience. The opportunties are greater being an allied health professional, working in the US healthcare field. Social work looks hard to get into even when you have transferable skills and experience. I do support plans, assessments, risk assessments, budgeting, life skills. which all the things a social worker in the US does. So will work towards that goal. Anybody have allied health contacts - drop me an -e-mail Mark

beth in Syracuse, New York

64 months ago

Try indeed.com and carreerbuilder.com also ckeck the financial aide site they are supposed to help with this. places inand near new york city ny usa have a lot of interships. you will have to travel.

muneca7706

61 months ago

Angelize in NYC, New York said: In NY, Social Workers are Team Mates with Special Victim's Squad - Sexual Assault, Domestic violence, Child Abuse.

i am a mom who would like to go back to school and get my bachelors in social work then work my way to my masters, after i get my bachelors will i be able to get a decent paying job while getting my masters? I live in new york.

tina e ojukwu492 in Potters Bar, United Kingdom

54 months ago

I thougt the information will get one into the social work education. It only listed other people's experiences.

keshav Dhakal in Nepal

36 months ago

BonBon in Liverpool, United Kingdom said: I am wondering if anybody can help me out with advice regarding training. I am a graduate (English not social work) and I currently work with young offenders for a local authority. I need to leave my job to become qualified but i'm concerned about financially supporting myself as I have a mortgage to contend with. What I want to know really is if any of you have done the MA, how many hours was it? Could you have fitted part time job in as well?

Better you explore internationally. Here in Nepal you got cheapest accommodation where as if you need any technical and vocational training than our organization provide free of cost training facility that will really counts for your careers in the days to come.

joansapa in Carrollton, Texas

29 months ago

I completed my masters in social work from India and I recived equvalency from council of education for my degree. Can I work as bsw with out writing exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sanassar in Macomb, Michigan

19 months ago

I will be getting a degree in sociology. I want to pursue a career in social work though. Was wondering if I could still get a entry level job in the social work field with a bachelors in sociology? I plan on getting my master's in social work.

sarita in Marina, California

2 months ago

Hi,
I have an undergraduate degree in biology but feel as if my life passion lies in social work particularily with senior citizens. I have volunteered since high school in elderly care facilities. What would I need to do to get a masters in social work?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.