BS Mechanical Engineering but MS Software Engineering

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

hubertcy in Minneapolis, Minnesota

15 months ago

My situation is a little different. I have been working as a mechanical engineer for 3 years and making $60,000. I would like to be a software engineer so I can make much more. My friend just got his master degree in Software Engineering just got an offer at Amazon with a starting pay at $120,000. Besides money, I also see a deadend being a mechanical engineer but I need to fill my stomach. I know I'll never make that figure as a mechanical engineer since I don't intend to move up and be a manager. I was accepted to a grad program in software engineering. I am wondering if it's worthy or too late to change route because by the time I earn my degree in software, I'll have 6 years of mechanical experience. Would companies look at me as fresh graduate? or would they look at me as an experience engineer even though not in software field? Basically, will I just be wasting all the years I have been working as a mechanical engineer? Also, how do I use my mechanical experience as an advantage?

Thanks,

Hubert Chen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anjal in Toronto, Ontario

3 months ago

hubertcy in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: My situation is a little different. I have been working as a mechanical engineer for 3 years and making $60,000. I would like to be a software engineer so I can make much more. My friend just got his master degree in Software Engineering just got an offer at Amazon with a starting pay at $120,000. Besides money, I also see a deadend being a mechanical engineer but I need to fill my stomach. I know I'll never make that figure as a mechanical engineer since I don't intend to move up and be a manager. I was accepted to a grad program in software engineering. I am wondering if it's worthy or too late to change route because by the time I earn my degree in software, I'll have 6 years of mechanical experience. Would companies look at me as fresh graduate? or would they look at me as an experience engineer even though not in software field? Basically, will I just be wasting all the years I have been working as a mechanical engineer? Also, how do I use my mechanical experience as an advantage?

Thanks,

Hubert Chen

I am also mechanical engineer. I was thinking the same. I found that there are good chances if you learn c++/c programming, OpenGL, Image processing kind of work (which quite useful for taking the use of engineering knowledge). But If you want to work for facebook or google than you need to learn lots of extra stuff. I think for desktop softwares in scientific company you have better chance (autodesk, solidworks, etc) while web companies may required to start from zero. Let me know what your status is.

MsSmartMouth in San Francisco, California

2 months ago

60k for 3 years exp is too low. I'm a recent mechanical engineering graduate making 60k

Software engineering is a hot market, but I just don't see it as interesting or fulfilling as mechanical engineering

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.