Getting a software engineer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing software engineer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

alfalfa in Minneapolis, Minnesota

77 months ago

I got my first job developing EDA (Electrical Design Automation Software) for a large computer manufacturer. This was very good for 17 years. Then I moved on to a company the produced EDA software. This was good for another 6 years. Now I live getting about 27 weeks of contract work for a 52 week period and I make 60% what I was making and have no benefits or raises for the last 7 years. Things are looking better as I now have a 6-month contract following a 3-month contract. But I have been seeing lots of contract positions looking for 35-80 hours in length (which does not look so nice. I was talking with the guy that helps UND students find work and he has been seeing companies hiring students as interns year after year but sees very few hires of graduating students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fred in Minneapolis, Minnesota

77 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing software engineer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

If you wish to work remotely, you will need to move outside the US as employers will allow people to work remotely outside the US; however, if inside the US, they want you to relocate (on your dime) to their location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.