Tips for software engineer interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming software engineer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Vince in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

The questions may not be verbatim, the concepts will be the same.

There are generally two sides of an interview. Technical and interpersonal. Technical would never be the same. The interpersonal portion will be the same and is just as important if not more so than technical.

Some examples:
Can the candidate function in a team or individually without much supervision? Can the candidate admit failure (some project or team that failed)?
What did the candidate learn from these experiences?
Did it change the way they approach working on a team today?
Can the candidate fit into the companies culture?

I've been on both sides of the interview table. These concepts were always talked about. I've seen good technical people passed by because of their answers.

Remember, if you dont know an answer to a question...just say "I dont know." It's better to admit ignorance than trying to throw some BS out there. You can lose the interview and the job on this alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nelson in Orlando, Florida

71 months ago

Vince in Jacksonville, Florida said: The questions may not be verbatim, the concepts will be the same.

There are generally two sides of an interview. Technical and interpersonal. Technical would never be the same. The interpersonal portion will be the same and is just as important if not more so than technical.

Some examples:
Can the candidate function in a team or individually without much supervision? Can the candidate admit failure (some project or team that failed)?
What did the candidate learn from these experiences?
Did it change the way they approach working on a team today?
Can the candidate fit into the companies culture?

I've been on both sides of the interview table. These concepts were always talked about. I've seen good technical people passed by because of their answers.

Remember, if you dont know an answer to a question...just say "I dont know." It's better to admit ignorance than trying to throw some BS out there. You can lose the interview and the job on this alone.

Vince give me a call. I have a position open in the Orlando area with a company that works with the DOD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rob

67 months ago

Research the company and research the position; know what the company does and what skills they are looking for. If you don't know what the acronyms mean, look them up. Something that I have started running across more recently is getting tested on the implementation language. Years ago, they used to ask for code samples.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

joseph_porter in Fremont, California

42 months ago

Check out this site - it helped me get my last software job:

www.programmerinterview.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.