What is the pay increase if you have a Master's degree over a Bachelor's?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Brian in Huntington, West Virginia

61 months ago

Well as of right now I'm in my second semester of my CS degree aiming for a job in software engineer. My current situation though is wondering if I should go to graduate school or not(the graduate degree would be MS software engineering).

I know it is something that is almost guaranteed to make your resume look better but the thing I'm worried about is the starting salary increase. I know money isn't everything when it comes to careers but if I'm going to spend an extra $30,000+ plus 2 years more of my life on further education I would at least hope there is a pay benefit to it.

So in your experience is there an average amount that a master's will yield over a bachelor's?

And another question: How often do you get raises in this field? I'm aware the pay is salary based in most cases, not hourly...but is there a annual pay increase? Or do the majority of companies do it on a performance based system?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

( The living area where this job will take place is Pittsburgh, PA by the way )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Whether or not a masters matters depends on where you work. If you're looking for a massive company (e.g., Intel, Google) then a masters will help get a job, and have higher pay. I'm not talking massive pay over a bachelors; seems like it's normally only a few grand more per year. If there's a specific field of CS you want to study then go for the masters, if you just want to code then get a job.

As for raises, my current company is 2x a year, each raise is ~3-10% depending on performance. Most companies I know of are 1x a year. Most of my software engineering friends see consistent raises until they hit a certain threshold. The threshold varies greatly depending on your industry and company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.