Getting a solidworks designer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing solidworks designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

zx32tt in Stanfield, North Carolina

77 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing solidworks designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I transitioned from 2D to 3D while employed at National Oilwell in Houston TX. I started out many years ago as a machinist, and gradually worked into drafting and design. Any hands on shop experience will be a big plus in the long run. I always tell potential employers that I will not design something that I couldn't build myself. Many engineers / designers have no knowledge of how things are actually made, and what is required to make parts that will actually fit together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

carpentierobueno in Conroe, Texas

66 months ago

zx32tt in Stanfield, North Carolina said: I transitioned from 2D to 3D while employed at National Oilwell in Houston TX. I started out many years ago as a machinist, and gradually worked into drafting and design. Any hands on shop experience will be a big plus in the long run. I always tell potential employers that I will not design something that I couldn't build myself. Many engineers / designers have no knowledge of how things are actually made, and what is required to make parts that will actually fit together.

I started as a draftsman with NOV four years ago. I was hired based on my construction, and blueprint reading ability. Until I was hired, I had minimal CAD experience, but picked it back up very quickly. From there moved to SWorks, then to another, much higher paying company. I now use PDM, Cosmos, Enveloping and advanced modeling techniques. Pay is good (50K min), but with the state of oil, all of engineering is sweating our jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

carpentierobueno in Conroe, Texas

66 months ago

Get a copy of AutoCad 2009. If you know where to look you can find it free..... Start reading ANSI or ASME standards online to familiarize yourself, or take some classes at your local JuCo. Buy some cheap calipers and start drawing stuff, really anything, pens, toilets, whatever.

NJR Designs in Westerly, Rhode Island

43 months ago

I'm From the Northeast and things are still bad in this area for employment. Looking for advice or leads on where to find solid works jobs were I can work from home as a Mechanical 3D Model Designer. 28 years in the Engineering field plastics and sheet metal background. I purchased a seat of Solid Works. Any leads appreciated.....single Mom

Thank you

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan said: We are currently looking for a SolidWorks designer with 10 years product design experience. At least 5 years experience working with SolidWorks. This would be a contract position in Ann Arbor, MI and would last for about 6 months. For more information, please get in touch with me.

Thank you,
Justin

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.