What are the best solution architect qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a solution architect? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective solution architect?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Viresh Jain in Vancouver, British Columbia

81 months ago

i would like to know too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Portland, Oregon

53 months ago

AG in Khartoum has it right? A solution architect provides solutions to business or logistical problems using business analysis, systems analysis, and process analysis that may utilize technologies to solve the given problem.

Training and Certifications do not define a solutions architect, experience is what defines a quality solutions architect. And depending on your career experience, education, and subjects of interest, defining how to be a solutions architect can be hazing at best.

Some corporations or organizations may perceive a person with strong network/server and or programming experience as qualified for the title of solutions architect. In some companies perhaps that is all that is needed. But in my experience it requires someone with a broader view of business and technology, someone who has experience running a department or business, leveraging multiple technology platforms (and the pros and cons of each) and providing strategies and recommendations that meet the business goals.

In short a solutions architect provides a sign posts in a project and can provide a methodical strategy for identifying why, what, and how to accomplish a given task.

So ask yourself, what skills and experience are required? What knowledge would one need to support a given business issue that also involves technologies? I think it is having the right frame of mind that all technologies are created equal, that no one answer can solve every question.

If you are looking for a list of certifications, degrees, or job titles you must check off to get a job being a Solutions Architect the you may not have the right mindset to hold the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

graham in London, United Kingdom

21 months ago

The best solution architect training I know of is described at avancier.co.uk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.