Are sous chef job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most sous chef opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

dduncan in Saint Paul MN in Saint Paul, Minnesota

91 months ago

Recently, I have been doing a job search in Florida for a Sous Chef position with good results across the board. So, I believe Florida is one area with a growing market for this type of position. However, I also believe that within each individual company a different title may be attached to the actual duties of a Sous Chef. For example, I found that some companies simply use the term "Working Chef" or "Chef Manager" as a title for similiar duties performed by a Sous Chef. The title, Sous Chef, is a common title in the foodservice industry and, in most cases, a salaried management position with benefits. However, regardless of your title, if you are skilled at a number of kitchen operations, can train kitchen personnel, and perform any or all of the Executive Chef's duties in his absence, you are performing the job of a Sous Chef. My advice is, if you are looking at Sous Chef positions, don't go just by the title, look at the actual duties required and the benefits attached. As well, in your interviews, be specific about what you actually do in your present position. I believe the position of Sous Chef is one that remains stable in the industry. It is a position that requires the ability to "switch hats" at any given point, from a line cook to a manager in a moment's notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

1@mb0r3d in Upperville, Virginia

73 months ago

i think this was very helpful for my paper that i am doin thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sadomemovic@yahoo.com in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

n/a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

need jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

exp. 12 yers in all industry,hotel club hospital off shore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chefjeff in Spring Hill, Florida

62 months ago

Just recently moved to Spring hill fl. from Miami.
I'm an Executive Chef but also willing to work as a Sous chef or personal Chef, looking for work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Honey in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

49 months ago

chefjeff in Spring Hill, Florida said: Just recently moved to Spring hill fl. from Miami.
I'm an Executive Chef but also willing to work as a Sous chef or personal Chef, looking for work.

Jimmy Buffets Myrtle Beach South Carolina is looking for a Sous Chef until December 6th 2010. Is the closing dat you can apply on-line at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.