Advice For Finding Spanish Interpreting Work In Gulfport/Biloxi, Mississippi?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

PJ in Biloxi, Mississippi

67 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I grew up in a bilingual household (english/spanish) and studied in Mexico during my summers growing up, so I can fluently speak, read and write in spanish. I currently live in Mississippi in the Gulfport/Biloxi area, and have only recently thought of working as a bilingual interpreter locally -most of my work experience doing this is from home. However, I have not seen any ads in the paper for this type of position, and although I have read here on this forum you can get this type of work with courts and other government offices, I have no idea on how to approach or do this. Do I just call up my local court house or social security office and ask them about these positions? Most of my experience has been in working with private business people from my home translating documents for them, but this type of work has dried up now, so any advice on how to find jobs doing this in my area would be greatly appreciated. Please leave your email address if you would rather contact me privately. Thank you and have a great day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

julie havelin in biloxi, ms in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

46 months ago

Please contact Julie at manpower. I am currently looking for an interpreter for one of my clients.julie.havelin@na.manpower.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruth Santiago in Brentwood, New York

45 months ago

i don't know if I would be helpful since I live in NY but I speak both languages,Spanish and English, fluently. Does this job requires by phone, email or in person. I'm very much interested.

Best Regards,

Ruth

Beatmatch in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

Hello,
Question for PJ in Biloxi. I read your post seeking information regarding Spanish interpreting positions in Mississippi.
I am actually considering moving to Mississippi and was wondering if you found a job or know more about State court jobs for interpreters.
Is there anything you would share with me?
Regards!!

PJ in Biloxi, Mississippi

44 months ago

Hi Beatmatch,
I wish I had good news for you, but I still have not found any good paying jobs doing this line of work here sadly. I had one offer, but it was only temporary job and it payed less than what I could make at McDonalds, so it wasn't worth it. If you find anything yourself please let me know, and I will do likewise.

Best Regards!

Beatmatch in Los Angeles, California said: Hello,
Question for PJ in Biloxi. I read your post seeking information regarding Spanish interpreting positions in Mississippi.
I am actually considering moving to Mississippi and was wondering if you found a job or know more about State court jobs for interpreters.
Is there anything you would share with me?
Regards!!

Beatmatch in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

Hello PJ!!!
Thank you for getting back to me.
I have been searching all day long and did not find any leads.
Currently, I'm attending an interpretation school to prepare me for the state exam, so I will ask my instructors.
I will let you know!!!

Alekz in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

Well, I hope these are good news for you in Mississippi, looks like their Judiciary is working on a program to have state-wide certification for interpreters so things are looking up for the future. I didn't read thru the whole document but I'm guessing they might join the consortium. That would seem like a logical thing to do instead of having to develop their own testing procedures, etc. So I can only imagine that the courts throughout the state will start hiring independents as soon as any of this gets approved and then permanent positions will likely follow. If you're already certified somewhere else in a consortium state they you gotta look for reciprocity information if they join the consortium.

I think the only bad thing is that the pay rates vary by state so you can make like $35/hour as an independent in CA but I'm not sure if you can come close to that in other states.

Here are a few links for you to check out.

www.mssc.state.ms.us/rules/rulesforcomment/2011/Ethics_for_Court_Interpreters.pdf

www.mssc.state.ms.us/news/2011/05.03.11interpreters.pdf

As far as jobs right now, it looks like courts make their own arrangements so I would go directly to them and ask what's needed to get on their lists. Also, check your local yellow pages and see if you can find agencies, out here in CA you can easily find them.

Good Luck!
Alekz
www.certifiedcourtinterpreters.net

PJ in Gulfport, Mississippi

42 months ago

Thank you Alekz for that information. The pay for this kind of work is horrible here..usually only about $8-10hr or less..and usually only temporary from a law office.

I can only hope one day MS will have a good program the way CA does. Hopefully this will happen as more spanish speaking people move into our state.

I will definitely read the links you gave me. If you hear anything more please do let me know, and thanks again!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.