I'm considering writing a book on The Profession of Court Interpreting and posting here, in serialized form.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Master Interpreter in Union, New Jersey

68 months ago

Was wondering what your thoughts were...If I should do it. I have decades of experience as an interpreter, in the courts and elsewhere. My idea is to write one chapter a week and post it here. It'll have about 12 chapters, so in 4 months it will available in its entirety for the benefit of the forum visitors who are just starting out or are seriously considering getting into this exciting and exacting field.

Well, what do you think? Sounds good to you or not?

NJ Master Interpreter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Master Interpreter in Union, New Jersey

68 months ago

Sorry, I meant, in 3 months it will be completely finished.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Neil3 in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Master Interpreter in Union, New Jersey said: Was wondering what your thoughts were...If I should do it. I have decades of experience as an interpreter, in the courts and elsewhere. My idea is to write one chapter a week and post it here. It'll have about 12 chapters, so in 4 months it will available in its entirety for the benefit of the forum visitors who are just starting out or are seriously considering getting into this exciting and exacting field.

NJ Master Interpreter.

It all depends on how you decide to tackle it.

If you're going to expose the injustices & abuse of the American Judicial System and its "Pay to Play" basis then I say GO FOR IT. You could write about how low-income defendants always get hammered while the wealthy usually manage to get away with almost anything. Or you could write about how shyster attorneys in cheap black robes managed to re-create British Royalty thru demanding they be addressed as "your honor" when in actuality they are anything BUT honorable. Or you could write about the hipocrisy of a Judicial System that punishes some poor Mexican day laborer for not having a bicycle license yet allows a mass-murdering war criminal basstard like GW Bush to violate the U.S. Constitution over & over & over & over again will no ill effect.

IF on the other hand you're going to write a feel-good piece about how well the American Justice System functions and what a pleasure it is working for it, then save yourself the trouble because there's already TONS of science fiction books I could read instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Union, New Jersey

67 months ago

Master Interpreter in Union, New Jersey said: Was wondering what your thoughts were...If I should do it. I have decades of experience as an interpreter, in the courts and elsewhere. My idea is to write one chapter a week and post it here. It'll have about 12 chapters, so in 4 months it will available in its entirety for the benefit of the forum visitors who are just starting out or are seriously considering getting into this exciting and exacting field.

NJ Master Interpreter.

Hi I was just wondering what did you have to do to become an interpreter in the state of New Jersey?

Thank You

Lou05 in New Brunswick, New Jersey

66 months ago

Neil3 in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania said: It all depends on how you decide to tackle it.

If you're going to expose the injustices & abuse of the American Judicial System and its "Pay to Play" basis then I say GO FOR IT. You could write about how low-income defendants always get hammered while the wealthy usually manage to get away with almost anything. Or you could write about how shyster attorneys in cheap black robes managed to re-create British Royalty thru demanding they be addressed as "your honor" when in actuality they are anything BUT honorable. Or you could write about the hipocrisy of a Judicial System that punishes some poor Mexican day laborer for not having a bicycle license yet allows a mass-murdering war criminal basstard like GW Bush to violate the U.S. Constitution over & over & over & over again will no ill effect.

IF on the other hand you're going to write a feel-good piece about how well the American Justice System functions and what a pleasure it is working for it, then save yourself the trouble because there's already TONS of science fiction books I could read instead.

Take a chill pill big liberal. There are other places to spew your venom. Let the man write what he sees and in his own words, not yours! I say go ahead and do it, personally I would love to read it. I am studying to get certified myself and would love any help. Ignore this ignorant.

Neil4 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Lou05 in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: Take a chill pill big liberal. There are other places to spew your venom. Let the man write what he sees and in his own words, not yours! I say go ahead and do it, personally I would love to read it. I am studying to get certified myself and would love any help. Ignore this ignorant.

Take a pass at blowing gas from your azz. Are you absolutely SURE you're ready to move-up from reading comic books?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Chino Hills, California

66 months ago

Yikes, Neil4, do something about all that pent up self loathing.

Lou05 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

66 months ago

Neil4 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Take a pass at blowing gas from your azz. Are you absolutely SURE you're ready to move-up from reading comic books?

I won't stoop to your level of just insulting when you can't find ideas. If you so hate the system do something about it. Study and become an attourney. But wait.........that takes an effort and liberal only love to complain! Sorry. This guy has a great idea to HELP people and you have to put it down, how sad!

Neil5 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Julie in Chino Hills, California said: Yikes, Neil4, do something about all that pent up self loathing.

I'm loathing YOU azzwipes, can't you tell? Oh that's right you can't because you're an azzwipe.

66 months ago

Lou05 in North Brunswick, New Jersey said: I won't stoop to your level of just insulting when you can't find ideas. If you so hate the system do something about it. Study and become an attourney. But wait.........that takes an effort and liberal only love to complain! Sorry. This guy has a great idea to HELP people and you have to put it down, how sad!

You have SOOOOooooooooooooo much growing-up to do it's not even funny. "If you hate the system do something about it". What a crock. "Study and become an attorney". Right. That's EXACTLY what this country needs; more SHILLS. It must be wonderful to be a young, naive IDIOT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

NJ Master Interpreter.

Based on the suspected sofistication of your potential readership as exhibited here, be sure to preface your book by starting it with, "Once upon a time ..." and make sure to include lots of drawings & a box of crayons.

Julie in Chino Hills, California

66 months ago

Neil5, please correct your spelling error on line 1.

Quality Control in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

How about writing something like THIS:

"Judges Sold Children
Into Slavery
By: Jay Hand

Mark Clavarella and Michael Conahan, judges from Luzerne County in Northeastern Pennsylvania admitted to making more than 2.5 million dollars by selling children into prison. For at least 4 years, the judges took money from 2 privately operated children's prisons in exchange for imprisoning children in the prisons. Many young children were imprisoned with PA Child Care and/or Western PA Child Care. For each child the private firms were paid a substantial fee by the state. The judges were given a substantial kickback. Most of the kids shouldn't have been imprisoned at all.
The boys and girls, mostly minorities, were sold simply to make a buck for the judges!

For themslves, the judges accepted plea deals which included prison time and they admitted to fraud and related charges.

This is an example of why private prisons are so bad and why contracting with private firms to imprison people is so very bad. At the present time, there's no way of telling how many judges across the Commonwealth have given themselves bonuses by accepting money to put innocent children into private jails. There's also no way of knowing how many private prison companies are doing the same kind of thing. It's time the practice was stopped."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious S. in Azusa, California

49 months ago

NJ Master Interpreter.

what happened to the chapters?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.