What are the best spanish teacher qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a spanish teacher? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective spanish teacher?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

I would like to know what I need to do to have certification for teaching Spanish.
I have a Master in Education. After having send my papers to the Illinoi State Board of Education I was told that I need to get 32 credit in an Specific Social Science (EJ: Psychology), a field work and the following tests:
Basic Skills, APT, Specific Social Science and, in order to have the endorsement done in Spanish, I need to do the English and Spanish tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Margarita in Salamanca, Spain

73 months ago

As far as I know you need to take the GRE.... if you have not taken it yet... then... what you need is only 18 hours of Spanish at te masters level. This is to teach in college (first 2 years). University level you need to have a PHD. For High school level you have to take the spanish certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriel in Redmond, Washington

72 months ago

Hello all,

I would like to know what do I need to do, or have, in order to teach spanish after my regular job..? I was thinking like, nights at a community college, for example.

Any ideas...?

Thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Margarita in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

If you have a Bachelors degree you can apply to teach in a continuing education. I you want to teach at college level you need to have a Masters degree with 18 hours of Spanish.
Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gabriel in Kirkland, Washington

72 months ago

Margarita in Houston, Texas said: If you have a Bachelors degree you can apply to teach in a continuing education. I you want to teach at college level you need to have a Masters degree with 18 hours of Spanish.
Good Luck

COOL....Great...yes, I do have a BS degree....thanks for the info....I will double check with our local Community Colleges.

Have a nice weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Moorefield, West Virginia

71 months ago

There is a Spanish teacher job available in Hard County, WV that requires WV certification in spanish.

Magnolia New in chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

Hello
I was wondering if you all could give me some honest advice. I am really not sure what to do. You see I am at a point in my life which should be one of the happiest but I am very distressed.
I have overcome many obstacles to achieve my lifelong dream of being an bilingual/Eel Elementary teacher.
I have overcome a very weird background where I was brought up in sex cult and given no schooling.
I had to start from scratch, I studied GED books on my own and then moved off from that to college.
I will now be graduating in one month and while I am really proud of myself I am also so incredibly sad.
I have done a lot great things in my life such as working with the sisters of charity in India and also Nepal, a trip which I had to raise funds for all on my own.
The problem I am having is there is one thing that I did which was so stupid!!!
I let my brother talk me into becoming an exotic dancer.
He received a half paid for scholarship to go Virginia law school but he wanted to be able to go to school comfortably.
He suggested that I work as a dancer and help pay for him and them when he graduated he would pay for me to finish school.
I decided to do this and ended up dancing for three years. This was a terrible lonely scary time in my life and I almost did make it out.
I did though stay true to myself by maintained my pride throughout the whole ordeal by never doing anything stupid like drugs, drinking or in moral I simply just danced.
Well my Brother ended up dropping out law school so this plan of his never panned out but I decided to not let them keep me from following my dream.
I took out loans and now I can almost see the reward.
I am currently student teaching and I am so happy. I love teaching these children.
I am especially committed to their success because I never want any of them to go through what I went through.
I want to make sure they are set up with the tools they need to stand up for themselves and make good choices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Magnolia New in chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

Sorry this is getting really long; I guess I have a lot on my mind.
I was just wondering what I should do.
I don't want to have to lie on my resume but I don't know what else to do.
I don't want to have accomplished so much and come so far just to be defeated.
Also I trusted some roommates with my information and they took advantage to it and even when I moved out left everything in my name.
So my credit is also not the best. I don't have any bankruptcies or any other major things but my score is awful.
Any advice you all can give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you so much in advance!

loju31 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

52 months ago

Maria in Chicago, Illinois said: I would like to know what You said:
I need to do to have certification for teaching Spanish.
I have a Master in Education. After having send my papers to the Illinoi State Board of Education I was told that I need to get 32 credit in an Specific Social Science (EJ: Psychology), a field work and the following tests:
Basic Skills, APT, Specific Social Science and, in order to have the endorsement done in Spanish, I need to do the English and Spanish tests.

My comment: I really fill its is too strong. Here in Oklahoma Teachers should get their Certification in a College, during the second year's study you have to take OGET. Whell you are trying to get this it's recomended to do a double major. It's mean you have to take a specialiation. Than you will be graduate in a double major. This mean that you have to take the 32 UC of Spanish, Math, ort etc. etc. After getting your Double major Teacher Certification, you have to take the OPTE, OSAT. This is not the end of tests. If you are contracted to teach in a Public School, you should be ested twice a year in all your teaching time. No matter thirth year to eigth years student have to take the Standar test to past their year. This what I know untill now, I am just taking my first semester of Double major Spanis K-12 teacher!

52 months ago

Magnolia New in chicago, Illinois said: Hello
I was wondering if you all could give me some honest advice. I am really not sure what to do. You see I am at a point in my life which should be one of the happiest but I am very distressed.
I have overcome many obstacles to achieve my lifelong dream of being an bilingual/Eel Elementary teacher.

My Comment
I am so sorry telling about your working background. Before spending your money in a College to study this career, you should speak with an adviser or counselor.
Maybe you will be censured because of some or what about the job you had done. Teachers may not to be seen with a cup of liquor in their hand. Teacher may not being seen in some kind of Club, example, such as the place were you was dancing. If some body keeps a picture of you, it can be an evidence of your old job.
Think about it.

Magnolia New in Crest Hill, Illinois

52 months ago

Thank you for your reply
I just wanted to clarify a few things that I might not of being clear about when I originally posted this.
I already almost have my degree, I will have it in a month.
I also never had a photo taking by anyone in this kind of establishment.
This also happened about five years ago.
I don't know if any of this makes a difference but I just want to clarify it.
I am just worried if it will show up on the credit checks because I know that if is information that I turned in when I filed my taxes.
If the do credit checks on me they might find out about it.
Will this be a problem?

52 months ago

Each state has it regulation. Here in Oklahoma © 2008.
Oklahoma State Department of Education. All rights reserved.
Consumer Credit Reporting Reform Act (1996) is an amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act. It requires free credit reports for the unemployed, persons on public assistance, and fraud victims; the full name of anyone requesting a credit report within the past year; and credit bureaus to share corrections to your file. It also clarified when the seven-year period for negative information begins and raised the limits on what information can be reported longer than seven years (jobs paying $75K or more and loans or life insurance of $150K or more)
I recomend you read some about this kind of commentaries @ the website theteacherscorner.net

And find or ask some experiences similar as yours. Keep me inform about any of this or any other problem you got. Remember your problem is any other person problem.

Magnolia New in Crest Hill, Illinois

52 months ago

Thank you so much for this advice.
I will definitely keep looking into this and check out this website.
Thanks for the ideas and directions as to where to look.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.