Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing special events coordinator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

DBoz in Dallas, Texas

88 months ago

How did you get your start doing special events coordinator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Musarra in New York, New York

80 months ago

I started at a massive catering hall as a "Runner", then began watching alongside the managers as they toured the building with potential clients. Once I left the catering hall I volunteered all my time at a private loft in manhattan. I was properly trained by multiple role models over a 1 year span, and now I am in charge of coordinating all private events for our versatile space.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cbowpitt in London, United Kingdom

70 months ago

I started off at the Emirates stadium as a waitress. I sent my cv to all the managers including the HR dep to let them know I wanted to move into an events co-ordinator role should one become available. 7 months later, even after I left as the waitressing work became less, I have my second intreview for a junior role thats become avail.
Don't worry about the degree. If you can get into the bottom somewhere big, and show them your skills, if a role becomes avail, you'll be first to know about it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.