Getting a special investigator job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing special investigator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Antionette M. Hart in Bronson, Michigan

76 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing special investigator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I have basicaly the same quesions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Antionette M. Hart in Bronson, Michigan

76 months ago

Is there an answer to the questions. I am not seeing any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Seattle, Washington

75 months ago

I'm assuming you're referring to Special Investigation Unit (SIU) which is generally insurance adjuster related and they related to fraud investigations. It's a slow process. Most insurance companies will hire entry level people as claims adjusters which are basically paper pushers, bill payers and investigators. It's a high volume work environment but after you've established yourself, usually 5+ years, you'll likely be in the running for the SIU positions. Other things that can help is having law enforcement experience. The two together are a huge plus. Education background is really non-specific. Most insurance companies just want to see a degree, typically a 4 year degree, but it does not have to be in any specific category.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

I had prior experience with a Police Department (25 years). I had worked as an investigator in a fraud unit for the Police Department for 15 years before I retired. I found that even with this experience and a college degree, most companies still want the Insurance experience. If you have law enforcement experience I suggest becoming an insurance adjuster to get the experience or to get your foot in the door. SIU is a very paper intense job, the freedom is great, but this is a high stress job. Be prepared to work your butt off. You’re very isolated, most SIU investigators work from home. You get a company car, but you have to realize if they give you a car, the company expects you to use it. You are on the road a lot, and still you have to find time to complete your reports, mostly at night in the hotel or when you get home. You are by yourself all the time so talk radio becomes your best friend. SIU is a great career choice, I have to admit I love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.