BA unrelated to SLP...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

cyo in Modesto, California

60 months ago

I'm about to become a senior in college. My major is English, but I've decided to take a different route, and I'd like a career in Speech-Language Pathology. The problem is that my university doesn't offer any of the courses required for the major, so I'm stuck. I don't want to take on a second Bachelor's degree. Is it really necessary to have an SLP-related Master's? Can I graduate with a BA in English, and then complete any prerequisites for grad school? Would it be advisable to possibly take on a Linguistics minor in order to become a better candidate? Any advice would be very beneficial. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cyo in Modesto, California

60 months ago

Monika Smith in sanfrancisco said: It is always a good idea to go for courses that are related to the career you want to pursue. If you seriously want a career as SLP. Then I suggest you to go for an SLS related masters and you can have a great career ahead.

Thanks for replying. Would obtaining a BA in English w/a minor in Linguistics make me eligible at all as an SLP Master's candidate? I'm willing to take prerequisites, but I don't want to take on another Bachelor's.

bilingualslp44 in Hendersonville, North Carolina

58 months ago

You can have a BA in something else - I did it! It might take you a year of undergrad level courses to "catch up" then a 2 year masters but you dont need to do another bachelors. Apply to grad programs and they will work with you to get you what you need! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in San Antonio, Texas

56 months ago

cyo in Modesto, California said: I'm about to become a senior in college. My major is English, but I've decided to take a different route, and I'd like a career in Speech-Language Pathology. The problem is that my university doesn't offer any of the courses required for the major, so I'm stuck. I don't want to take on a second Bachelor's degree. Is it really necessary to have an SLP-related Master's? Can I graduate with a BA in English, and then complete any prerequisites for grad school? Would it be advisable to possibly take on a Linguistics minor in order to become a better candidate? Any advice would be very beneficial. Thank you.

You will need to take all of the courses related to speech/language/communication to include normal language development, language disorders, articulation and phonology, speech science, fluency, hearing, etc. plus, get experience in doing therapy with clients/students after observing therapy sessions. You will want to see the list of courses required for a bachelor's degree.

mslinzyann in Mishawaka, Indiana

46 months ago

How did you pay for those courses at the bachelor's level?

bilingualslp44 in Hendersonville, North Carolina said: You can have a BA in something else - I did it! It might take you a year of undergrad level courses to "catch up" then a 2 year masters but you dont need to do another bachelors. Apply to grad programs and they will work with you to get you what you need! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.