Career Change

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

vansgirl in La Jolla, California

59 months ago

Hello. I am considering a career change. Just a little background: I am 26, graduated in 2006 and I have my Bachelors in Communications. I currently work as an editor. I despirately want to get from behind the computer and help people!

I know that at this point I need to take pre-reqs and apply to a Masters program... BUT, what are some common pre-requisite classes that I can take in the meantime and can cross-over into another allied health field??

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kate in Fox Lake, Illinois

51 months ago

I'm taking prereqs right now. To give you a sampling they consist of Introduction to Language, Speech, Hearing Development, Phonetics/Phonology, Anatomy of Speech and Hearing, Language Science, Language Disorders, Language Science, Audiology, etc....

What other Allied Health fields are you wanting cross over to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Briennbe in Macomb, Illinois

51 months ago

Normal child development, phonological development, alternative and augmentative communication (AAC), fluency, voice, cleft, Neuroanatomy for the SLP. Psych/counseling classes....

MackenzieSLP in Raleigh, North Carolina

30 months ago

Pre-reqs will depend on the masters program you matriculate into. Generally: normal speech development, Phonetics, Anatomy, Language Disorders, Speech Science, Audiology, Statistics, and Intro to Speech. Neuro, Voice, and Fluency are usually taught at the masters level. Look into the masters program you want to get into and take those specific courses. Or see if they offer a provisional acceptance and take the pre-reqs from them.

Nyslplover in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

MackenzieSLP in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Pre-reqs will depend on the masters program you matriculate into. Generally: normal speech development , Phonetics, Anatomy, Language Disorders, Speech Science, Audiology, Statistics, and Intro to Speech. Neuro, Voice, and Fluency are usually taught at the masters level. Look into the masters program you want to get into and take those specific courses. Or see if they offer a provisional acceptance and take the pre-reqs from them.

Provisional acceptance? I thought most programs don't offer that. I am also looking to take my leveli g courses and would gladly do this! I live in my and have not heard of any program offering this. Does anyone know of a program in nyc that at least favors applicants that took the pre reqs at their college?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.