Graduate School advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

mftorslp in Camarillo, California

71 months ago

I have my bachelor or arts degree in Psychology and cannot decide what to get my masters in. I am torn between Marriage Family Therapy and doing play therapy or Speech Language Pathology. Any advice would be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

christinea5575 in Scottsdale, Arizona

71 months ago

I'm just finishing up a BA in psychology and going through the same process as well. There are SO many options at the MA/MS level in psych there are some specializations which I was not even aware of. I'm leaning towards Clinical or Forensic. In terms of counseling, I have a family member who started off on that path in CA and decided that the process to become licensed (since it varies by state) was just too much for him based on the both the length of the program as well as the number of supervised hours required. I also did some research on salaries for counselors and they average in the $50k's which is lower than what I thought. I've heard that speech/language pathology is a really good field.

Bes of luck to you whatever you decide :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Indianapolis, Indiana

70 months ago

Speech language will pay a lot more than psychological counseling (LCSW, LMHC, MFT). 50K would be a very generous salary, think capping out at 45K and starting at around 29-33K. Most people go into this field because they have a need to help others, and employers know it, so think zero money and a case load that makes no sense what so ever, people in my agency who provide therapy have 400 clients at any one time (and I work for one of the most lucrative jobs available for therapists), providing people an hour of counseling every six months or so. Not enough to make any difference. Private practice is competitive, and at the end of the day there is only so much you can collect from insurance, so many billable hours and you will still not make much money. Same if you have your ph.d, you still don't make a lot of money.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.