Looking to make myself stand out in the admissions process to master's SLP programs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

egl0722 in Swansea, Massachusetts

40 months ago

Hi everyone. I'm currently a student at UMass Dartmouth (majoring in political science), and I'd like to ask about some ways I can make myself stand out in the admissions process.

Right now, it looks like I'm a junior. I say that lightly because the situation is complicated. Here's a quick run-through of my academic history:
-- I started at UMass Dartmouth in Fall 2008, majoring in political science. I originally wanted to go to law school, but then I decided I wanted to be an SLP instead and I thought that transferring to Temple University and majoring in therapeutic recreation would increase my chances of getting into an SLP program. So, in Spring 2010, off to Temple I went. I fully planned on finishing up my undergrad at Temple (by August 2012), but I sustained a moderate concussion in August 2011 and I had no choice but to withdraw from school for the semester.

Well, Temple made things exponentially more complicated when I tried to formulate my academic plan for when I came back in the Spring. Instead of pushing me back just one extra semester, Temple decided that I would need to come back for TWO extra years, plus both summers in order to graduate with a degree in TR. I know this is ridiculous, especially when I was slated for August 2012 and I only had two more semesters of undergraduate work (plus a summer internship) to complete. I spoke with everyone from the faculty members to my personal supervisors to the Chairperson and Deans of the College. Nothing.

So, after some deliberation, I decided it was best to return to UMass Dartmouth, finish up my studies as a poli sci undergrad, and apply to graduate school as planned. I'm really hoping that withdrawing for one semester and then returning to my original school won't hurt my chances. It's not like I planned on getting a concussion, you know? So, how can I make myself stand out in the admissions process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

egl0722 in Swansea, Massachusetts

40 months ago

I forgot to mention that I just signed up for American Sign Language (ASL) classes. They're 6-week sessions per level, and I plan on making it through as many levels as possible prior to enrolling in graduate school (there's 18 levels total through the school I'm working with). I'm also hoping to use my internship experience at UMass Dartmouth to further certify my interest in SLP. I'm hoping to work at a non-profit for the deaf and/or blind or something along those lines.

Here are the graduate programs I'm applying to:
Boston University
Northeastern University
Emerson College
Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions
UMass Amherst
University of Rhode Island (URI)
Temple
Baylor
Eastern Washington University
NYU

I have good grades (my GPA from UMass Dartmouth is 3.27 due to one semester of 2 absolutely AWFUL professors, but my GPA from Temple is 3.98. I plan on getting straight A's from here on out at UMD -- I know all of the professors I'll be having for my upper-level classes, and I love every one of them). I did pretty well on the GRE (not Quantitative though). I'm studying 4-6 hours a day now and I plan on taking the test again in April (I took it last in July 2011), and once more if necessary. Do I stand a good chance of getting accepted to a program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.