Need experienced advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Dannarosanna in Hope Mills, North Carolina

43 months ago

This that are on the know with experience, would you be kind enough to share some of the characteristics that make up a good speech pathologist?

I don't work well with children and would prefer adult care, however my concerns are such that I love variety, high technology (understand that there has been little progress made in this regard to slp) and I enjoy a fast pace work environment. Also, I'e been told that the work can be rather lonely, working in the adult sector and that mist is swallowing issues with lots of feeding and slobber. Is thus true?

I thought about nursing, but the blood, guts and feces factor bothers me. Moreover I understand they get walked all over with little appreciation. Obviously making a difference in someone's life is important , but I need to get the full scope of this career.

Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dannarosanna in Hope Mills, North Carolina

43 months ago

Oops sorry, meant THOSE in the know. My ipad's spell checker goes berserk and I forget to Recheck the checker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

holly in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

41 months ago

I have been an SLP for 40 years. There are many, many different personalities that have excellent success as an SLP. This career does slowly refine your personality into an effective therapist. So don't worry about your personality. There are so many variations in jobs and their populations. You will be able to find just the right match. I have enjoyed most jobs, found several very challenging but I enjoyed the challenge. Have found a few stressful, but also managed to work out a plan that worked.
I agree with you about the nursing negatives and those are not a factor in SLP. With the exception of persons with tracheotomy, we seldom come into close proximity to open wounds, etc. Within a clinical setting, you at times will be required to wear a mask to protect both yourself and your patient from germs. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.