SLPA positions in Houston , TX

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Ashley C in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

I recently graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Commuication Disorders (Lamar University in Beaumont, TX) in May 2010. I am having a difficult time getting into a Masters program for Speech, because of high levels of competition, and not many openings in my area, so I relocated to Houston, in hopes of finding an SLPA position while waiting for acceptance into a program, somewhere/anywhere! BUT I am having no luck finding a position. SO frustrating! I took a position as a nanny in November, just to have a job, but I want a career with my degree. What am I doing wrong?? I have done countless internet searches, searched every school in the Houston/Beaumont area, called every number listed under Speech Pathologists in the West University phone book. Either they are not hiring SLPAs or they want bilingual Spanish, which I am not. HELP!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Perla in Texas in Mcallen, Texas

45 months ago

In my intro class I asked 2 SLPS what the SLPA job market was like. They said it wasn't that great in Texas. There was one girl that mentioned that she was super frustrated because she had been looking for an SLPA job for months but wasn't getting anywhere.
The only advice one of the SLPs gave her was to try searching under "therapy technician". Not sure if that helps or not but neither SLP seemed to think there was much hope for anyone to be an SLPA in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SANANTONE in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

Hello, although I am not a SLP or SLPA, I have to say that I agree with you that there are not many SLPA positions that I see posted other than contract jobs. Have you tried applying with a therapy agency for a possible contract in a school? I am sorry to hear what a difficult time you are having finding a job. I totally understand the frustration in finding jobs that want bilingual help. Im here in San Antonio and most jobs here also want bilingual staff, which I am not. Don't give up searching though, the economy is still not great so jobs are scarce, but they are out there. Keep looking and eventually you will get your chance to show what a great SLPA you will be.
I am also sorry to hear what a difficult time you are having getting into a masters program. I saw you graduated from Lamar, congratulations on your achievement, I'm sure you did already but I will ask, did you try to get back into Lamar for a masters? I was under the impression if you graduated from the same school you plan to go to for a masters that your chances of acceptance would be better than non Lamar students? You may have to apply to multiple schools in other areas besides Beaumont & Houston to better your chances. Good luck in your search :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dez

40 months ago

Have you tried helling children's center? It's on the east side of Houston. They are always looking for SLPs, assistants, OTs and Pts. Tell them Desiree referred you. Another is Wise Therapy pls let them know I referred u also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joneisha in Houma, Louisiana

40 months ago

No I haven't, do you have the contact information?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

Ashley C in Houston, Texas said: I recently graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Commuication Disorders (Lamar University in Beaumont, TX) in May 2010. I am having a difficult time getting into a Masters program for Speech, because of high levels of competition, and not many openings in my area, so I relocated to Houston, in hopes of finding an SLPA position while waiting for acceptance into a program, somewhere/anywhere! BUT I am having no luck finding a position. SO frustrating! I took a position as a nanny in November, just to have a job, but I want a career with my degree. What am I doing wrong?? I have done countless internet searches, searched every school in the Houston/Beaumont area, called every number listed under Speech Pathologists in the West University phone book. Either they are not hiring SLPAs or they want bilingual Spanish , which I am not. HELP!?

Ashley, I'm not sure why you're having such a difficult time, nor why others are giving you discouraging information. I've been an SLPA for several years and have always been able to secure a job in the Metro Houston area. Home healthcare is the best way to go; there are many private companies and clinics that are always looking for SLPA's. I worked in HISD, they hire SLPA's all of the time, so do some of the school systems in the North or Northeast side. Channelview school district used to, I don't really keep up with nor have the desire to worry about school systems any more. There are clinics all over always looking for SLPA's though. My friends that are Assistants always do well, we are F/T salaried SLPA's. Check with clinics, like Cole Therapy, MedCare, check the others to start. There are a few others that I can't recall the name of. Houston has a very competitive market and it's a great area to find a job in our field. A friend of mine just got a job w/ECI, another w/EBS as a contractor but in school system. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

Renee in Houston, Texas said: Ashley, I'm not sure why you're having such a difficult time, nor why others are giving you discouraging information. I've been an SLPA for several years and have always been able to secure a job in the Metro Houston area. Home healthcare is the best way to go; there are many private companies and clinics that are always looking for SLPA's. I worked in HISD, they hire SLPA's all of the time, so do some of the school systems in the North or Northeast side. Channelview school district used to, I don't really keep up with nor have the desire to worry about school systems any more. There are clinics all over always looking for SLPA's though. My friends that are Assistants always do well, we are F/T salaried SLPA's. Check with clinics, like Cole Therapy, MedCare, check the others to start. There are a few others that I can't recall the name of. Houston has a very competitive market and it's a great area to find a job in our field. A friend of mine just got a job w/ECI, another w/EBS as a contractor but in school system. Good luck!

Hi, are there any home health companies that conduct a large portion of their business in the African American community?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Houston, Texas

16 months ago

Robert in Houston, Texas said: Hi, are there any home health companies that conduct a large portion of their business in the African American community ?

Yes Robert, many of the companies have a large variety of patients, there are a lot of home health agencies owned by African American therapists that focus on the needs of the underserved minority population. I'll try to get the name of those for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

Ashley C in Houston, Texas said: I recently graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Commuication Disorders (Lamar University in Beaumont, TX) in May 2010. I am having a difficult time getting into a Masters program for Speech, because of high levels of competition, and not many openings in my area, so I relocated to Houston, in hopes of finding an SLPA position while waiting for acceptance into a program, somewhere/anywhere! BUT I am having no luck finding a position. SO frustrating! I took a position as a nanny in November, just to have a job, but I want a career with my degree. What am I doing wrong?? I have done countless internet searches, searched every school in the Houston/Beaumont area, called every number listed under Speech Pathologists in the West University phone book. Either they are not hiring SLPAs or they want bilingual Spanish , which I am not. HELP!?

Ashley, I am a SLPA in Texas. I have been working for about 6 years. It is very difficult to find work as a SLPA if you are looking to work in only clinics. Basically, If you are a SLPA in Texas your only option is Home health, working in a school district can be hard to find and pays very little. There should be listings for home health, there won't be as many as SLPs however you should be able to find a job. Being bilingual does help but don't give up.
My next step is to go to grad school, unfortunately I didn't apply myself when I was in school and getting into grad school has been very difficult for me. I suggest you try to do the same though, it will open up so many more opportunities for you. Try not to base your like or dislike for the career on the fact that you have to drive around so much and go into ppls homes. I absolutely hate that about this career and that is why I'm going to to school, maybe I can work for a school and make enough money or work at a hospital

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLocke in New Braunfels, Texas

10 months ago

I've had a really hard time finding a job in my area as an SLPA. There are more jobs out there for PTAs or COTAs and they are only required to have an associates. I feel like I wasted time and money on my BA in Speech Pathology. I wish I had gone the PTA route. Having a Speech Pathology BA is useless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.