Speech Pathology-General Information

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 327)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Victoriaslp in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Hello, I have been a Speech Pathologist for 15 years, and it seems there has always been a shortage of speech pathologists across the country/planet. I would be happy to answer everyone who has questions about this rewarding career.
Before choosing a career path, please research speech pathology! Thanks and my replies will be answered daily on this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hi there, just received your reply. Cons of SLP vs OTR/PT: In speech pathology, you have to have a Masters degree to practice, and PT is now requiring an MS in a few states and nationally soon. An OTR is still a 4yr degree. An OTR and PT both have assistants (COTA and PTA) who work under the direction of the OTR/PT. These are 2 year programs. So, this allows the PT/OTR to do all the evaluations and plan of care on patients so that the assistants have the majority of time w/patients. This is mostly the scene you see in nursing homes/skilled nsg facilities and other work environments where there's tons of patients. Out of all 3 therapies, ST and PT make the most money. Also, I have heard and seen that in a few years, PT will phase OTR's/COTA's out since they incorporate the whole body and healthcare changes won't want to pay for 2 therapies that just PT can do, and PT's are not only seeking their Masters degree but also a Doctorate. Speech Pathologists' and our national association have NOT allowed speech assistants in the past which means we do all the evaluating and the therapy. We are also specialized in so many areas that Speech Paths have always been in high demand and always will be until more University programs seek accreditation from ASHA (American Speech/Hearing Assoc.) SLP salaries and hourly rates have doubled over the last few years and are now in the triple digits. We all know, money can't buy happiness. But the reward of helping people speak again or eat orally again since their stroke or car wreck, now that is worth millions!

Check out www.asha.org for more info.
Hope this helps, let me know if u have more questions,

Victoria L. Hant, MS.,CCC-SLP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Another Career Changer in Chandler, Arizona

73 months ago

Hi Victoria,
I have been researching ST as well. Would you mind sharing with me the areas in which you have worked (e.g. schools, hospitals, etc.)? What do find most rewarding? How did you decide on the career? Do you have a lot of patient interaction? What is a typical day like? How much paperwork is involved? What are the major challenges?
I live in Tempe, AZ and have been considering applying to the Master's Program atr the state universities. I graduated with a BA in Spanish and Political Science, but really want to transition to working in a direct service field that has tangible results. As I did not have previous courses in hearing/speech sciences, I would have an extra year in my program. Would you mind sharing any insight that you have gained?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

JT in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

73 months ago

Hi Victoria,
I too have considered to change career and am currently looking into SLP.
I heard from a friend of mine that a native would have higher chance of being hired than an Asian like me, because SLP deals with speech & accent. Is that true?
Does a job as an SLP mentally demanding? Does it needs a lot a patience? Is your daily work something routine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lielite in Newark, New Jersey

71 months ago

Does any know a company of the name Manhattan Center for early learning? How is working for them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lielite in Newark, New Jersey

71 months ago

I am finished my Masters of Speech and i want to look for a great place to work in New York or New Jersey. I am a bilingual therapist. I have been working as a TSSLD 4 years ago. Thanks for the Information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MaggieinNC in charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Victoriaslp in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Hi there, just received your reply. Cons of SLP vs OTR/PT: In speech pathology, you have to have a Masters degree to practice, and PT is now requiring an MS in a few states and nationally soon. An OTR is still a 4yr degree. An OTR and PT both have assistants (COTA and PTA) who work under the direction of the OTR/PT. These are 2 year programs. So, this allows the PT/OTR to do all the evaluations and plan of care on patients so that the assistants have the majority of time w/patients. This is mostly the scene you see in nursing homes/skilled nsg facilities and other work environments where there's tons of patients. Out of all 3 therapies, ST and PT make the most money. Also, I have heard and seen that in a few years, PT will phase OTR's/COTA's out since they incorporate the whole body and healthcare changes won't want to pay for 2 therapies that just PT can do, and PT's are not only seeking their Masters degree but also a Doctorate. Speech Pathologists' and our national association have NOT allowed speech assistants in the past which means we do all the evaluating and the therapy. We are also specialized in so many areas that Speech Paths have always been in high demand and always will be until more University programs seek accreditation from ASHA (American Speech/Hearing Assoc.) SLP salaries and hourly rates have doubled over the last few years and are now in the triple digits. We all know, money can't buy happiness. But the reward of helping people speak again or eat orally again since their stroke or car wreck, now that is worth millions!

Check out www.asha.org for more info.
Hope this helps, let me know if u have more questions,

Victoria L. Hant, MS.,CCC-SLP

Victoria:

I'm interested in your comment that PT's will phase out OTR/COTA's in the next few years. Where have you heard this? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Columbus, Ohio

70 months ago

Victoria:

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. Forums can be so helpful!

Anyways, I'm planning on going to graduate school in Norman and my fiancee is planning on moving as well. She has her undergraduate from Oklahoma State and her masters from U Arizona in Tempe. She has been working as a Bilingual speech pathologist in Fort Worth, TX doing early intervention in the home health setting. She doesn't want to work in a school and would love to continue doing home health. Do know of any information out there on companies there in Oklahoma city?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hi there, I know there are numerous home health agencies in Okc, and since she is bi-lingual, she won't have any difficulty finding work. Did she do individual contracts with 2 or 3 HH agencies or did she work for a temp company? There are tons of options. Do you have an email address that I can send more info and resources? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Lawrenceville, Georgia

70 months ago

Thanks for the quick reply.

She did contract work with one company. The Fort Worth area has huge demand for Spanish, so there was never a shortage.

I'd love to have some information. My email is griffbrown@gmail.com...

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

XXX in Newark, New Jersey

70 months ago

HI, I am finished my Master In New York City, Does anybody knows a good agency to work for?
I am bilingual

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

speechy24 in San Antonio, Texas

70 months ago

Victoriaslp in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Hello, I have been a Speech Pathologist for 15 years, and it seems there has always been a shortage of speech pathologists across the country/planet. I would be happy to answer everyone who has questions about this rewarding career.
Before choosing a career path, please research speech pathology! Thanks and my replies will be answered daily on this forum.

I am seriously considering a career in slp. I do not have an under grad degree in CDIS and as such, will be required to level prior to starting the grad program. Do to the massive amount of prep and money and time etc etc.. I want to be relatively sure I am on the right path could you tell me the good, the bad and the terrible aspects of SLP I want to be fully prepared to make a decision thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

frances in Sussex, Wisconsin

70 months ago

Victoriaslp in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Hello, I have been a Speech Pathologist for 15 years, and it seems there has always been a shortage of speech pathologists across the country/planet. I would be happy to answer everyone who has questions about this rewarding career.

I am doing a paper on Speech Pathologist and wanted to get some information from you as far as how would you describe the career path to become a speech pathologist, or job progression. My son sees a speech pathologist, so I know how well and hard you work but how would you put together a career path?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in University Park, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Hi, I'm a junior at Penn State and I'm trying considering graduate school for OT or SLP. I'm not sure about which one will have better job prospects and such. If anyone can give me pros and cons it will be very helpful for me AND appreciated :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fulwood in Denver, Colorado

70 months ago

Victoria, I have a degree but not in SLP. I am an older student and HAVE to work. I am considering getting a 2nd bachelors degree in Comm Disorders and work as an SLPA in states which allow you to. My intent is then to pursue a Masters while working as slpa. I will look for programs that allow you to work - there are part-time and online Masters programs. Does this seem feasible - any different ideas you can give me? Thank ou.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

behindthesea7 in Boynton Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Victoria,
I am in school currently, but it seems there are no bachelor degrees for speech language therapy, just masters. What did you major in for your bachelor, or what would you suggest I major in before getting my masters in SLP? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joy Bella in Irvine, California

69 months ago

A Bachelor's Degree in Communication Disorders.....or if you already have a Bachelor's in another area,, you can return to school for 30-36 units of prerequisites to then apply to a Master's Program in Speech Pathology and Audiology. There are a few programs online to complete the prerequisites although expensive at approximately $800 per unit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aman in Hayward, California

69 months ago

Hi,

Thank you for being so helpful for those of us that are exploring a new career. I am contemplating starting a MBA program in SLP but wanted to see what people as yourself already in the field have learned. I currently hold an undergrad degree in Business Admin with a finance option. I recently was laid off of my job and this is the first time ever I felt like I didnt know where I wanted to go careerwise. Even though we are in an economic "depression" I'd like to think that even if we werent, I am still not enjoying the luck of the draw with climbing the corporate ladder. Most of these business jobs with Fortune 500's are hard to come by and now I just want to do something I enjoy.

I love kids. I always thought of speech pathology and at my Univ there is a MBA program, it will take me 3 years, im 29 years old now. Im not married or have any kids, but really do not look forward in living like a "student" again.

I did see an online program through Northridge University as well. What do you recommend? I am assuming this job is VERY rewarding? I tend to care about peopel very easily, and feel like this career change is something that I may FINALLY be able to settle with.

The change is huge for me, because I can probably go for an MBA in business in a shorter amount of time. I still have no specific area I would be focusing on (maybe finance) which is a catch 22. No experience no job, all the education and still no job.

SLP, get paid really well on the government level. But I also see so many p/t floaters? Is the demand high

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vicky in Seattle, Washington

69 months ago

I'm in a super early mid-life crisis and am exploring if SLP would be a good fit for me.

I've always been into the communication field. I've done marketing, PR and sales. Now, I'm an interpreter. From my experience working as a medical interpreter, I fell in love in the social environment in oncology. That thought led me to think about entering a field that amalgamates medicine and communication. That's why I want to explore SLP. With your experience, do you think I have the right understand of the field?

Also, I wonder if there is any opportunity to work as a SLP in the corporate world instead of a health care setting? For example, can a SLP be a speech making trainer or something like that? I guess my underlined question is the proportional balance in the syllabus of the SLP programs between learning and curing diseases and enhancing speech.

Besides SLP, I'm also considering at the back of my mind, being a health educator. How do you compare the two fields?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

you realize that slp requires a bachelors, and then a 3.5 year masters degree right? LOOOOOOTSSSS of work and $$$.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

behindthesea7 in Boynton Beach, Florida said: Victoria,
I am in school currently, but it seems there are no bachelor degrees for speech language therapy, just masters. What did you major in for your bachelor, or what would you suggest I major in before getting my masters in SLP? Thank you!

Hi, I'm sorry I could not respond sooner to your post/question. I have my Bachelor degree in special education. I would suggest getting either education or special education with core classes being in speech/lang. ie..audiology I and II, phonetics, etc. Hope this helps, it has been 13 years since I was in school. Some universities may make it where you just get a Masters only. My degree is M.Ed.,CCC-SLP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer r in Middlesex, New Jersey

69 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: I am finished my Masters of Speech and i want to look for a great place to work in New York or New Jersey. I am a bilingual therapist. I have been working as a TSSLD 4 years ago. Thanks for the Information.

Hi!!! At the moment I am a interpreter for early intervention with alot of different therapist. I would like to looking into speech pathology. Any university that you can be able to recommend me?? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Yes, i am finished my Master at LIU unisversity in Brooklyn. It is a private school. Do you want to go to a private school?
are you bilingual?
This school gives you an special certification for bilingual persons. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

NO, and Melissa,..this particular forum is for exchanging information, support, and advice in the field of Speech Pathology and not a place for staffing companies to recruit. Indeed.com is the greatest(and only)site where medical professionals can find all current opportunities posted nationwide!!! WOW So..please..we know how to find you. thank you

69 months ago

What's b.t.w.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jandacsu in Washington Court House, Ohio

69 months ago

For those of you thinking about majoring in Speech Language Pathology at the Undergraduate or Graduate Level...

I am an undergraduate student at Cleveland State University. Cleveland State provides competitive undergraduate and graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology. The professors have published numerous research and journal articles which are in the areas of Audiology, Phonological Awareness, and Literacy Development. Cleveland State is home to a Speech Acoustic and Perceptions lab. The lab is used to conduct research on basic speech and hearing issues. In the undergraduate and graduate programs there are numerous opportunities to experience a variety of settings. The on-site Speech and Hearing Clinic allows students to receive hands on experiences in assessing and providing intervention with individuals across the lifespan 75+/week. Students are not limited to the on-site clinic. Cleveland State contracts with numerous facilities in the community and the student has the opportunity to experience any of these opportunities. Unlike clinical supervisors at other universities, Cleveland State’s ASHA Certified Supervisors directly supervise therapy on average 90% of the time. This provides students with personal attention and help when conducting therapy. Besides our outstanding Speech and Hearing Clinic, Cleveland State is affordable and a great location for anyone. Cleveland State is in downtown Cleveland Ohio, accessible to shopping, entertainment and fine restaurants. Check out Cleveland State and the Speech and Hearing program at www.engagecsu.com. Go Vikes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

xxxx in Riverhead, New York

69 months ago

nice advertisement/ recruiting!! gimme a break

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joy Bella in Newport Beach, California

69 months ago

great information.......THanks for posting. An on site lab is invaluable for much needed experience in order to get into a graduate program ( very competitive) and to land a job ( becoming more competitive) Do you know of any other U.S. programs with a similar on site lab? for those of us who cannot move to Ohio?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lulu in Albuquerque, New Mexico

69 months ago

I'm trying to decide whether I should pursue a master's in SLP or a BS nursing. I currently have Bachelor's degrees in English and English Education. I've worked as a teacher, and now I work in a hospital. What do you think are pros and cons for nursing vs SLP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in San Clemente, California

69 months ago

Joy Bella in Newport Beach, California said: great information.......THanks for posting. An on site lab is invaluable for much needed experience in order to get into a graduate program ( very competitive) and to land a job ( becoming more competitive) Do you know of any other U.S. programs with a similar on site lab? for those of us who cannot move to Ohio?

Hi Joy,

Did you by any chance attend Cal State Fullerton? I am planning on attending this fall and getting my BA in Communicative Disorders. But I keep hearing about how hard it is to get into the Masters program, and it's making me nervous! Just wanting some extra info or to hear of your possible experiences with this. My email is
MHolmes425@yahoo.com. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jlipps in Inola, Oklahoma

68 months ago

Hello, I recieved my BS in CS&D at Kansas State University, and went 1 semester for my MA in SLP at Oklahoma State University, and discontinued my studies Dec 2000. (for family emergancy) Do you think it would be possible to get accepted back to graduate school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ada E. in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

I have stuttered my entire life and after YEARS of thinking what career I want to pursue(im 24) it hit me...SPEECH PATHOLOGIST!! I would love to help others how my previous SLP have helped and encouraged me throughout my life. I am just about to begin taking my Gen Eds in a community college in Chicago. Does anyone know of a good Univ. in Illinois or in the Midwest I can further pursue my education once I get mt Gen. Eds out the way? My long term goal is to get my Masters in SLP but was wondering what the benefits are on going all the way to get my Doctoral in SLP? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wannabeSLP in Whittier, California

68 months ago

Hi Aman,

I started the prereqs at 27 and am currently working on my master's at 29 years of age. I was unsure about the program, but have loved every minutes since I have started. I completed my undergrad/prereqs through San Jose State University, which has been discontinued due to budget constraints. It is very challenging so be prepared, but is all worth it!

Aman in Hayward, California said: Hi,

Thank you for being so helpful for those of us that are exploring a new career. I am contemplating starting a MBA program in SLP but wanted to see what people as yourself already in the field have learned. I currently hold an undergrad degree in Business Admin with a finance option. I recently was laid off of my job and this is the first time ever I felt like I didnt know where I wanted to go careerwise. Even though we are in an economic "depression" I'd like to think that even if we werent, I am still not enjoying the luck of the draw with climbing the corporate ladder. Most of these business jobs with Fortune 500's are hard to come by and now I just want to do something I enjoy.

I love kids. I always thought of speech pathology and at my Univ there is a MBA program, it will take me 3 years, im 29 years old now. Im not married or have any kids, but really do not look forward in living like a "student" again.

I did see an online program through Northridge University as well. What do you recommend? I am assuming this job is VERY rewarding? I tend to care about peopel very easily, and feel like this career change is something that I may FINALLY be able to settle with.

The change is huge for me, because I can probably go for an MBA in business in a shorter amount of time. I still have no specific area I would be focusing on (maybe finance) which is a catch 22. No experience no job, all the education and still no job.

SLP, get paid really well on the government level. But I also see so many p/t floaters? Is the demand high[/QUOT

wannabeSLP in Whittier, California

68 months ago

I also got my BS in Business. I've never looked back, and can't wait until I finish my Master's program. BTW, I'm taking it through the CSUN distance learning program. I work full time so this is really the only way I will be able to complete the 3-year program.

wannabeSLP in Whittier, California said: Hi Aman,

I started the prereqs at 27 and am currently working on my master's at 29 years of age. I was unsure about the program, but have loved every minutes since I have started. I completed my undergrad/prereqs through San Jose State University, which has been discontinued due to budget constraints. It is very challenging so be prepared, but is all worth it!

cdoan in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

Can you get an SLP certification with a BA in speech-language pathology

speechy24 in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

no, you could possibly get certified as an SLPA, if the state allows

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

68 months ago

I want to become a SLP, can anyone tell me what this career is like from an insider's prospective?

cdoan in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

cdoan in Dallas, Texas said: Can you get an SLP certification with a BA in speech-language pathology

Thank you very much for your quick response. How do I find out if my
state will allow to get an SLPA certification and how much does
an entry level SLPA make. Do you know the answer or where I can find out the answer? Thank you.

Unsure in Greensboro, North Carolina

68 months ago

I am currently working on a undergraduate degree in SLP. I am 32 years old. When I was 18 I got two misdameanor charges for Marijuana and larceny. Do you think it is possible that I will be able to get into graduate school and obtain a license from state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hiltenn in Iowa City, Iowa

68 months ago

Hi Victoria,
I am wondering how much a speech pathologist makes working in a school setting? I am an undergraduate student right now and plan on getting my Master's degree eventually. I am just curious as to what the average salary is for an SLP? Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nichole in Chandler, Arizona

67 months ago

I just started an slpa program this semester because I'm going to community college (since it's all I can afford) and I am trying to become a speech pathologist. I could get an associates a semester earlier if I chose not to get my slpa certification and start working on my bachelors. My question is should I do that or should I get my slpa first? I'm afraid that by the time I get my masters in 5 and a half years it will be much harder to find a job in the field. Do you what it's expected to be like around 2014 or so? Thanks for the help
Nichole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

dkdawes79 in Kennesaw, Georgia

67 months ago

I am 30 years olf and I am just finishing up my Associates. Upon graduating from high school, I went to the military and after the military I had a child and I just didnt have the time to go to school. I am getting ready to enroll into an Undergrad program and I am interested in the Speech Pathology major, but there is only one local university that offers it. If I am not accepted to that school, what else could I major in? And how many years would it take for me to complete the bachelor and masters program? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie Fraser in Harrisonburg, Virginia

67 months ago

Nichole in Chandler, Arizona said: I just started an slpa program this semester because I'm going to community college (since it's all I can afford) and I am trying to become a speech pathologist. I could get an associates a semester earlier if I chose not to get my slpa certification and start working on my bachelors. My question is should I do that or should I get my slpa first? I'm afraid that by the time I get my masters in 5 and a half years it will be much harder to find a job in the field. Do you what it's expected to be like around 2014 or so? Thanks for the help
Nichole

Nichole, here is a site managed by the government that talks about the ins and out of our profession: www.bls.gov/oco/ocos099.htm#outlook

Fear not, there will be plenty of jobs in 2014!!! :)

Natalie Fraser in Harrisonburg, Virginia

67 months ago

hiltenn in Iowa City, Iowa said: Hi Victoria,
I am wondering how much a speech pathologist makes working in a school setting? I am an undergraduate student right now and plan on getting my Master's degree eventually. I am just curious as to what the average salary is for an SLP? Thanks so much!

hiltenn,
Here are three sites which will show you one of the best looks at earnings for SLPs:
www.bls.gov/oco/ocos099.htm#earnings
www.bls.gov/oes/2008/may/oes291127.htm
speech-language-pathology-audiology.advanceweb.com/sharedresources/advanceforspanda/resources/downloadableresources/SalarySurvey2007.pdf

ricki in Dublin, Ireland

67 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to go to Grad school in another English speaking country and if so which countries? I am going to be soon starting my final year of my undergraduate degree for Speech Pathology and was interested in moving for my years of Graduate school, possibly to Ireland or Canada. Is this a possibility? Thanks for your help in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in North Hollywood, California

66 months ago

XXX in Newark, New Jersey said: HI, I am finished my Master In New York City, Does anybody knows a good agency to work for?
I am bilingual

Hi there- I work for a healthcare staffing agency and we are in need of SLP for a Skilled Nursing Facility in Brooklyn. Please let me know if you're interested. You can contact me at bsmith@advantishc.com

Stephanie in Lake Zurich, Illinois

66 months ago

Sonia in University Park, Pennsylvania said: Hi, I'm a junior at Penn State and I'm trying considering graduate school for OT or SLP. I'm not sure about which one will have better job prospects and such. If anyone can give me pros and cons it will be very helpful for me AND appreciated :)

Hi Sonia:
Not sure if anyone has replied to your question. But I graduated from Penn State with my Masters in Communication Disorders (speech therapy) in 1993. I LOVED the program and the professors were top notch. I did my extern at Hershey Medical Center and felt very confident and knowledgeable even as a "student" at the time. I have NEVER had a problem finding a job and I have lived in several different states. I have done the entire gammot of Speech therapy (infants to adults, trailer home visits, nursing homes, hospitals and schools, private practices). My suggestion to you if you can visit a local hospital or nursing home to observe what each of the disciplines actually do. In my opinion, OT's are a nice combination of PT's and ST. They sort of cross over into both domains (cognitive issues and physical issues). For me I wanted more cognitive..neurological areas. Hope this helps and you are welcome to email me anytime with additional questions. Take care and best of luck to you! Stephanie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Jennifer r in Middlesex, New Jersey said: Hi!!! At the moment I am a interpreter for early intervention with alot of different therapist. I would like to looking into speech pathology. Any university that you can be able to recommend me?? thanks

Jennifer:

If you go on to www.ASHA.org This is the National forum for Speech Language Pathologists. There is a section that will tell you all the schools that are accredited in Speech Language Pathology (by state). If you cannot log in (you may need to be a member) then maybe call their 1-800 number to see if they can send you a hard copy in the mail. Hope it helps!

66 months ago

Nichole in Chandler, Arizona said: I just started an slpa program this semester because I'm going to community college (since it's all I can afford) and I am trying to become a speech pathologist. I could get an associates a semester earlier if I chose not to get my slpa certification and start working on my bachelors. My question is should I do that or should I get my slpa first? I'm afraid that by the time I get my masters in 5 and a half years it will be much harder to find a job in the field. Do you what it's expected to be like around 2014 or so? Thanks for the help
Nichole

Nichole:

GO for it! If you truly want to be a Speech therapist then just go for the BA/BS and then the Masters. We have never been saturate in this field and we are always in demand. I think with Obama's new possible Universal Heath Care we will be in more need than ever. The baby boomers (my parent's generation and I am 40) are all beginning to retire and need geriatric care in the future. I think there will be a huge need in the next 5 + years. Besides it is a great field with a lot of diversity in profession (schools, nursing home, private practice, hospitals). Make sure you are going to an ACCREDITED program. ASHA.org lists the programs that are accredited for SLPs. Some programs also combined BA/BS with the MS so you may want to look into that. I don't see that many Associate degree SLPs but definitely if you have your MS you will always be able to find a job. Good luck!

Joy Bella in Newport Beach, California

66 months ago

I spoke with a Speech Therapist this weekend who told me that before she began her Master's Program but after she completed her BA in Communication Disorders that some agencies arranged to have an emergency credential to work in the field........... Which she did for a year before beginning her Master's Program.

Is the still a legal and common practice to work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.