how do you start a career as an slp when you don't have a bachelors in communicative disorders?

Comments (5)

D-cakes in El Segundo, California

46 months ago

Hello,

I would like to continue my education and I'm considering a masters in Speech Language Pathology. However, I am unsure where to begin. I know I will need to take a year's worth of prerequisite courses to even be considered for a masters program. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. A little about myself: I have a BS in Child and Adolescent development with a minor in human services. I am currently a home visitor(parent educator) in los angeles (I would like to stay in LA too) and I work with with families who have children from 0-3 years. I am also bilingual (english/spanish) and I have been told that is in high demand. Any advice is greatly appreciated or if anyone can share their experience of becoming an SLP when they didn't have a Bachelors in a related field.

MackenzieSLP in Raleigh, North Carolina

40 months ago

D-cakes,
I started my Masters program with no speech background. I have a Bachelors in social work with several minors. You do need to complete your pre-reqs, but most Masters courses have that option and they admit you provisionally. A Masters degree, plus your pre-reqs, will take about 3 years - as long as you get all of your clinical practicum hours in.

Teach2SLP in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

MackenzieSLP in Raleigh, North Carolina said: D-cakes,
I started my Masters program with no speech background. I have a Bachelors in social work with several minors. You do need to complete your pre-reqs, but most Masters courses have that option and they admit you provisionally. A Masters degree, plus your pre-reqs, will take about 3 years - as long as you get all of your clinical practicum hours in.

I'm a HS teacher looking to make a change. I interact with the SLP on campus and am interested. However, I have no background or degree in the field. Would you mind telling me what program or programs you are aware of that have provisional acceptance via pre-reqs? Thanks...

Inland Empire student in Rancho Cucamonga, California

29 months ago

Hi I'm not getting my Masters in speech language pathology but my sister is. She does not have her bachelors in any speech language related field. Her bachelors is in Asian studies and language. It took her 3 semesters of full time study to complete her pre reqs which included courses such as anatomy/physiology and psychology development. She got accepted into the SLP program at Cal State Fullerton and is about to finish her second semester in the SLP program. If you have any more questions I can ask my sister and relay it back to you on here.

APost in New York, New York

19 months ago

I'm interested in SLP but have no background in it or work experience relevant to it. What do you suggest doing to learn more about this path (other than reading about it.)? Is this a stressful job? How many hours a week do most SLP's work? What are the cons? If anyone has been a teacher how does it differ? I was also considering teaching but have heard that teachers hours are actually incredibly long and I am looking for a career with work-life balance.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.