girl 6 years old produces /a/ for /e/

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

sms in San Juan, Puerto Rico

61 months ago

I have a new little girl that produces /a/ for /e/. Does anyone knows how to teach her to say the /e/. I had ask other SLP but no one seems to know.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

slpgrad in Dekalb, Illinois

60 months ago

At my school external, I had an 8-year-old student do the same thing! It was interesting. It seemed that he would do this especially if there was an /l/ before or after the /e/. I first targeted the sound in isolation but showing him a drawing of how his tongue is supposed to be in his mouth. I also told him to keep the tip of his tongue behind his bottom teeth while making a "bowl" with the rest of his tongue. Once he got it in isolation, I'd move to the words. He became increasingly successful with the words but unfortunately I wasn't there long enough to move forward.
I'd be interested to know if your student also does this with /l/...it's almost as if he was doing it as a coarticulation (which is why I told him to keep that tongue tip down!). It made him sound like he had an accent but both he and his parents were native English speakers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mixermike2 in Baghdad, Iraq

60 months ago

This is weird, but what if you tell her to put her tongue closer to the roof of her mouth? Not my area of expertise though...

slpgrad in Dekalb, Illinois

60 months ago

Oops! I should have clarified he would say the /a/ sound for "eh" (as in mot instead of met, not mot instead of mate).

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.