Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most stationary engineer opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Dave A in Ashland, Nebraska

75 months ago

well let me just say that when i joined the navy in 1987 i became a boiler tech.at 19 yrs old. the navy had the best schools and teachers in the world.they also had the largest and most advanced stm puplusion systems. they not only used stm, for hot water ect... but their primary means to move was all stm. driven ships. most boile tech came from the service. im 40 yrs. old with 20 yrs.+ as a boile tech. i have a 3rd grade certificate in omaha, ne. the job demand for boiler tech will rise stredily for at least another 20 yrs. i will tell you why.within 10 or so yrs. ago. the navy removed or destroyed all their stm. ships. the no longer use stm. to move ships. they went to . deseiel, gas turbin, and nuclear power.the society out here that we live in is at least 20 yrs. behind the navel technology.with no more boiler techs coming out of the navy and people in society getting ready to retire the demand and pay will only rise. i was on a missile guided cruiser and we had 4 1200lb. boilers and super heated stm. at 1000degrees. they were the biggest boilers you would of ever seen .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJ7 in Sacramento, California

40 months ago

Dave A in Ashland, Nebraska said: well let me just say that when i joined the navy in 1987 i became a boiler tech.at 19 yrs old. the navy had the best schools and teachers in the world.they also had the largest and most advanced stm puplusion systems. they not only used stm, for hot water ect... but their primary means to move was all stm. driven ships. most boile tech came from the service. im 40 yrs. old with 20 yrs.+ as a boile tech. i have a 3rd grade certificate in omaha, ne. the job demand for boiler tech will rise stredily for at least another 20 yrs. i will tell you why.within 10 or so yrs. ago. the navy removed or destroyed all their stm. ships. the no longer use stm. to move ships. they went to . deseiel, gas turbin, and nuclear power.the society out here that we live in is at least 20 yrs. behind the navel technology.with no more boiler techs coming out of the navy and people in society getting ready to retire the demand and pay will only rise. i was on a missile guided cruiser and we had 4 1200lb. boilers and super heated stm. at 1000degrees. they were the biggest boilers you would of ever seen .

Do you have an email were i can email you? Dave...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.