Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing stationary engineer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

luther haynes in Modesto, California

93 months ago

as a sailor in the united states navy on board the uss california station at nas alameda ca.i perform routine corrective and preventive maintenance on the ship's reboiler,number one and six fire pumps,laundry equipment,galley equipment,unrep equipment,package conveyors and all associated pumps,piping and valves.Qualified BEIQ,general damage control,3M to non-supervisor and conveyor operator.stands AMW/S+Sp watch underway and inport.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Saul Algaba in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing stationary engineer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Local 39 is the biggest source of employment for Stationary Engineers in Northern California. The main office is located in San Francisco. With out any real engineering backround or foundation, it would be wise to contact Local 39 and find out how you can become an apprentice. You put in 4 years of work and follow an education curriculum, and then if the company decides to hire you as a Journeyman you are a "Stationary Engineer".

I personally was on the U.S.S. Constellation and steamed two 1200 psi boilers, one 75,000 hp steam turbine, and all associated machinery. With the core naval schools, and experience in the Navy I was able to land a job at a hospital where I further developed my skills in Electrical and A/C and Refrigeration.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Len in San Jose in Oakland, California

70 months ago

Graduated from the California Maritime Academy in 1970. Have a thirds in steam and diesel any Hp. Came ashore withthe cut back in the war, no jobs.
started in a hospital on boiler watch. Now working in a high rise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lexingtonavt16

58 months ago

I started out in the US Navy in boilers. Another way is the Local Union. One more way is knowing a relative or your Daddy brings you in. But other engineers don't think to kindly of that who haved trained and worked hard for the positions. After getting some experience you want to look for more experience and better pay. And be very versitile for any type of Plant. Me personally one year I may be doing boilers. but the next year I could be doing Ammonia refrigeration, Or Maintenance Mechanic, Or in a hospital, powerplant, food company, schools, highrise buildings, Water company, Sewer Company,Boiler inspector. You may also journey into waste water plant. So once you get in the field and do some of these things. You should be set for life. If you become unemployed, you should not be for long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

workin in Tacoma, Washington

55 months ago

Saul Algaba in Sacramento, California said: Local 39 is the biggest source of employment for Stationary Engineers in Northern California. The main office is located in San Francisco. With out any real engineering backround or foundation, it would be wise to contact Local 39 and find out how you can become an apprentice. You put in 4 years of work and follow an education curriculum, and then if the company decides to hire you as a Journeyman you are a "Stationary Engineer".

I personally was on the U.S.S. Constellation and steamed two 1200 psi boilers, one 75,000 hp steam turbine, and all associated machinery. With the core naval schools, and experience in the Navy I was able to land a job at a hospital where I further developed my skills in Electrical and A/C and Refrigeration.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

What years were you on the Connie? I made two cruises 72-75. I was an HT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.