To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every stationary engineer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your stationary engineer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Saul Algaba in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

1) Every Stationary engineer MUST have a basic competency in Electrical. Understand how the 12,000v substation is further broken down all the way to 120v in a typical building.

2) Some people would disagree with me, but having more than a basic knowledge of air conditioning and refrigeration can really take you far in this business. Your electrical skills come into play also.

3) In my opinion everything else can be learned on the job. Having a sincere desire to learn, and a great work ethic will make you stand out from the rest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Len in San Jose in Oakland, California

66 months ago

Saul Algaba in Sacramento, California said: 1) Every Stationary engineer MUST have a basic competency in Electrical. Understand how the 12,000v substation is further broken down all the way to 120v in a typical building.

2) Some people would disagree with me, but having more than a basic knowledge of air conditioning and refrigeration can really take you far in this business. Your electrical skills come into play also.

3) In my opinion everything else can be learned on the job. Having a sincere desire to learn, and a great work ethic will make you stand out from the rest.

YOur #2 is right on
#3 better described "you need have a mechanical aptitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.