Entry-level Substance Abuse Counselor?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Bradley Gauchat in Liberty, Missouri

71 months ago

I moved from Nashville, TN to Liberty, MO five months ago. I came with a summer internship but decided to stay. I have a Psychology degree and it has been my intention to be a alochol/substance abuse counselor. I have been sober one year and would like the opportunity to be in the field. How do I start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scarlett in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

I have been batteling addiction off and on for 9 years. I am now clean once again. I also have a college education and believe i could help people who have been through what i have. when you find the answer to your question would you please share it with me??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Wilmore, Kentucky

71 months ago

Bradley Gauchat in Liberty, Missouri said: I moved from Nashville, TN to Liberty, MO five months ago. I came with a summer internship but decided to stay. I have a Psychology degree and it has been my intention to be a alochol/substance abuse counselor. I have been sober one year and would like the opportunity to be in the field. How do I start?

Hey You live in Missouri, that will help. You do not have to get a master's degree in order to become a substance abuse counselor in Missouri. You have to get what is considered the equal experience and there are some specifics that you need. Look up the Kentucky lisencing board online and you should be able to find what you need. Keep working your program!! It is not enough that we stay dry, we must progress in our sobriety.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Candeeroxx in Dyersburg, Tennessee

56 months ago

In Missouri you will most likely qualify for a RASAC I license. Go to the MSACPB website for all of the information, as well as the application for licensure for MO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lifegoesonn in Bethel, Connecticut

42 months ago

I am currently going to school to be a Drug and Alcohol Counselor. My understanding is that CT is one of the hardest states to be certified in. I am not sure about MO. In CT there is a program called the DARC Program which is a certification program you need to be certified as a counselor in the addiction field. Also you can take it further and get your associates or Bach. There is a lot of work that need to be done inorder to become an addiction counselor. I know in CT you need 6,000 hrs of work as a tech before you can even sit for the exam to get your certification. I know that a lot of states do not offer the DARC program in which case I don't know how you would go about it. If you need any info let me know I would be glad to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cornyx

41 months ago

Hi, I stumbled here through Google, and I currently live in CT and am interested in becoming certified/pursuing a career in counseling and addiction. Do you mind dropping me an email about the process? I have a bachelor's in psychology. My email is cornyx07@gmail.com. Thanks for your time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.