Getting hired as Substance Abuse Counselor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

jeneen1961 in Charlottesville, Virginia

58 months ago

I am 47 years old and will complete studies in Administrative Office Professional in 2010. I will have earned an Associates Degree. What other degrees will I have to complete to become a substance abuse counselor and what type degrees do I need? What does Substance Abuse Counselor pay in Virginia? in North Carolina? Can you recommend an online college for completing my education to become a substance abuse counselor? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AllCEUs in Fort White, Florida

58 months ago

As far as the requirements you can go here www.attcnetwork.org/getCertified.asp to find out what the different boards require and what your options are. Honestly, pay is not stellar, but it is an amazing job.

Training does not need to be earned from an accredited college. You can take professional development courses to satisfy the same requirements. AllCEUs.com offers a NAADAC approved self-study option for $69.99 per year that includes all the texts, quizzes and certificates; or an instructor led option for $1200. The next instructor led class begins Jan. 11, 2010.

The information is basically the same between classes. With the instructor led class, you have a dedicated instructor, a time line and actual practice/graded assignments in addition to your exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

girish kurra in New Delhi, India

57 months ago

i am a recovering addict and have been working as a counsellor on substanceabuse/alcoholism in rehabilitation centre. i am a college drop-out due to my addiction and do not posess any degree which states me as a professional. my practical work experience in the field is 12years and do have working experience certificates.
my clean date is 07/08/1997 and i am an active member of NA/AA of Delhi Fellowship, INDIA
i am looking for job opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

i am a recovering addict and have been working as a counsellor on substanceabuse/alcoholism in rehabilitation centre. i am a college drop-out due to my addiction and do not posess any degree which states me as a professional. my practical work experience in the field is 12years and do have working experience certificates.
my clean date is 07/08/1997 and i am an active member of NA/AA of Delhi Fellowship, INDIA
i am looking for job opportunities.
PLZ update me on this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

plz guide me on carrer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

57 months ago

Congratulations on your sobriety and your friendship with Bill W. ! Are you still working as a counselor? If you are still attending NA and AA meetings, I am sure you are able to network in those rooms where others, like you, need support, resources, and connections. One day at a time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.