Jobless in NC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

joblesssarah in Raleigh, North Carolina

57 months ago

I am a new graduate from East Carolina University, with a dual Master's degree in Substance abuse and clinical counseling, as well as rehabilitation counseling. I am willing to relocate to anywhere in NC. My job search is turning out quite depressing results and I figured I would try this. Please let me know if there are any jobs that you have heard of... Thank you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Snipes in Hawthorne, Florida

57 months ago

It is not a perfect solution, but I am always looking for marketing people for our continuing education courses. I run AllCEUs.com. The position is, much like pharmaceuticals, commission only. You can do it as much or as little as you like and you will get a 20% commission off of every organizational contract. The average organization has 100 people, so your commission off that would be $1380. There are more than 10,000 treatment facilities in the US. You would have an exclusive "territory" so you are not competing with any other reps. You are not bound to any contract term (You can quit when you want) and you have no up-front costs. We will provide the list of qualified leads. With your qualifications, I can also consider working you into our speaker rotation. I will be presenting at the NC Mental Health Counselors Association conference at the end of Sept. if you want to meet we could do it then.

In the meantime, if you are interested in marketing, email me at dr.snipes(at)allceus.com.

laini in Apex, North Carolina

55 months ago

joblesssarah in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am a new graduate from East Carolina University, with a dual Master's degree in Substance abuse and clinical counseling, as well as rehabilitation counseling. I am willing to relocate to anywhere in NC. My job search is turning out quite depressing results and I figured I would try this. Please let me know if there are any jobs that you have heard of... Thank you!!!

Please send your resume to laininj@aol.com
I have a position vacant with the Alliance of AIDS Services Carolina and am looking for qualified individuals

ahleshia crouch in Jacksonville, North Carolina

55 months ago

joblesssarah in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am a new graduate from East Carolina University, with a dual Master's degree in Substance abuse and clinical counseling, as well as rehabilitation counseling. I am willing to relocate to anywhere in NC. My job search is turning out quite depressing results and I figured I would try this. Please let me know if there are any jobs that you have heard of... Thank you!!!

I know the feeling oh so well. I have a masters in counseling also and I'm currently trying to get my provisional license in NC so I can be licensed. I have sent out resumes and cover letters. Companies want people already certified. I don't understand it. How am I suppose to get it, if I can't get anyone to hire me. All I can do is keep trying...Good luck

ahleshia crouch in Jacksonville, North Carolina

55 months ago

laini in Apex, North Carolina said: Please send your resume to laininj@aol.com
I have a position vacant with the Alliance of AIDS Services Carolina and am looking for qualified individuals

I have a masters in counseling and (7) years experience in the substance abuse field. Most of the positions want people already licensed. How can I get it, If no one will hire me..Can you help me..

Jobfiller in Willow Spring, North Carolina

46 months ago

Please send your resume to mcinc2008@ymail.com. I have a clinical position available in Wilson, NC if you are interested

slamprecht in Tarboro, North Carolina

45 months ago

Jobfiller in Willow Spring, North Carolina said: Please send your resume to mcinc2008@ymail.com. I have a clinical position available in Wilson, NC if you are interested

Is your position still open? I am currently a Certified Susbtance Abuse Counselor.

Alfonso Battle in Washington, North Carolina

45 months ago

Did you actually earn two masters or was it one of those deals where if you take an extra course or so in REHB you get the second MA? How long before you get you LCAS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MSRC Curious in Asheville, North Carolina

43 months ago

I just started to read through some of these posts. I think much of the joblessness is 1) due to the economy, 2) due to the economy in NC - I don't have unemployment stats but it just seems like a general theme.

I have pretty broad background - at 44 - it would still be a fair question to ask me what I want to be when I grow up. Have a BA in Liberal Arts / Psychology, a Masters in Management - Business Administration, have an older MCSE (NT 4.0), network+ certification, and quite bit of experience in business analysis and IT. No job - I do part time consulting in a rural area of NC where I live; the consulting likely more closely resembles a paid hobby than a source of income. I personally have just gotten tired of the IT field, thought I would like to revisit my humanity, and do the on-line (some on-campus courses) Winston-Salem State University Master of Science Program in Rehabilitation Counseling Program (MSRC).

From their site: "The Master of Science Program in Rehabilitation Counseling Program (MSRC) Program provides students with the opportunity to earn a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling and be eligible to sit for the national Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) examination. Candidates may also pursue the state Professional Counselor licensure (LPC)."

Anyone have any opinions on this WSSU program?

As for anyone who mentioned they desperately need a job and have a BA or Masters in this or related health / human services field, I understand City Hospital in Martinsburg, WV, may need short term contracted EPS / Crisis Workers - essentially evaluating patients entering the ER who may need to be admitted to the psychiatric unit. WHo knows, may be turn out to be a permantent postion - just putting it ou there if anyone has an interest. Good luck to all and appreciate any feedback.

Unemployed in Clayton, North Carolina

42 months ago

Hmmm..I got laid off in 2009 - went from making 45K here in Cary, NC to...well...now my UC check after taxes is: $322/week. AND I'm a single mom with multiple kids in my home. Rental amount: 1,200/month. I did what everyone else did: went back to school...you know...to "better" myself. lol

It appears that many counseling positions require a year of clinical experience, yet no one wants to employ and supervise that first year....so it's very frustrating. I'm going through Liberty University for my LPC, and find the common theme: No supervision offered; 1-3 year previous experience requirements; lousy starting pay; 24/7 availability; lots of evening/weekend hours required. If it's a non-profit agency: Forget it. They want everything for practically free. It's very discouraging out here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ahleshia Crouch in Oceanside, California

42 months ago

I hear all of your compaints, all so well in NC, I have sense moved to California with my husband who is military. Well to my dismay it was the same here, they wanted people already certified. Every freaking job, I have been here for four months and nothing. I revised my resume, and got three interviews but no call backs. From my previous messages as you know I do have a BA in Law enforcement, so I just went with that, I knew I could get a job with that so I did it. I really so much wanted a job in counseling and wanted to use my MA in counseling, but just didn't work out that way. So I'm working for homeland security incorp. for $28 and hour (this includes my benefit pay which is $4.00) which they gave me for not using benefits. I feel so blessed. I took the job and I'm working, Lord knows I needed a job. Good luck everybody. May God bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fulfordpat in Garner, North Carolina

14 months ago

I am in the same situations as many stated. As a suggesting maybe the ones of us that is Provisional status as myself LCASA, can write letters or reach out to people of power to help people to find employment with P-license in the state of NC.

Hickorychic in Hickory, North Carolina

13 months ago

Like most of you I have a degree or two and can't find work. I have a Bachelor in Human Services and thought about going back to school. I weighed the pros and the cons and I found that at 40 it wasn't worth it, the loans are going to absorb the additional income from my job so whats the use and it doesn't guarantee a job. I wanted so badly to get my CSAC to work in the substance abuse field but can't do it cause I don't have the contract for employment or supervision. I had planned on moving to Virginia but then thought I couldn't manage being a single mother of 2 boys under 5 by myself. What are we to do? I live as low as I ever have in my life and pray everyday to get out of this life of poverty. Good luck to everyone.

13 months ago

Hello,

I read your post and not sure what you meant when you said " I wanted so badly to get my CSAC to work in the substance abuse field but can't do it cause you don't have the contract......" I am a LCASA and I can tell you that CSAC is great to have. Jobs are far and few today regardless of the type of work. I think what attracted me to write to you is to say "never give up on dreams that you want" fight and work hard to fulfill your dreams. You said that you were 40 years of age..I am 51 and started at PH.D program 2 years ago. Never let age be a factor for HOPE and FAITH of what will fulfill your enter dreams. I will be glad to talk more with you..and guide you with words of HOPE when you feel low... Getting out of poverty means that you must push forward, and leave negative message from others or to yourself out of the mind and heart! Instead replace the message as "who, what, where & how-and you will see that your hard work will pay off. I hope that my message has helped.

13 months ago

fulfordpat in Garner, North Carolina said: Hello,

I read your post and not sure what you meant when you said " I wanted so badly to get my CSAC to work in the substance abuse field but can't do it cause you don't have the contract......" I am a LCASA and I can tell you that CSAC is great to have. Jobs are far and few today regardless of the type of work. I think what attracted me to write to you is to say "never give up on dreams that you want" fight and work hard to fulfill your dreams. You said that you were 40 years of age..I am 51 and started at PH.D program 2 years ago. Never let age be a factor for HOPE and FAITH of what will fulfill your enter dreams. I will be glad to talk more with you..and guide you with words of HOPE when you feel low... Getting out of poverty means that you must push forward, and leave negative message from others or to yourself out of the mind and heart! Instead replace the message as "who, what, where & how-and you will see that your hard work will pay off. I hope that my message has helped.

Thanks so much for you encouragement. I have pushed and pushed to get a job in substance abuse. I email and call almost to the point of harassment and most people don't have the decency to even get back with me. Sometimes I wonder if it just isn't in God's will for my life and that is the way I see it. That is the only thing that gets me by. Not only do I try in the substance abuse field but others as well. I will work in Social Services, Probation/Parole, Mental Health, but I wanted to work in Substance Abuse. Again, thank you for your kind words.

13 months ago

Hello,

I just launched a new business and would like to stay in touch with you. The business will consist of mental health and substance abuse tx amongst other programs. Take care

13 months ago

fulfordpat in Garner, North Carolina said: Hello,

I just launched a new business and would like to stay in touch with you. The business will consist of mental health and substance abuse tx amongst other programs. Take care

Absolutely, just keep in touch. I am willing to relocate if needed. You can contact me through this forum or email m.coleman72@yahoo.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.