Trying to get experience....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Veronica83 in New Bern, North Carolina

56 months ago

I graduated in May of 2009 with a BS in Business Administration concentration in Management. I am currently pursuing my Master's degree in Human Services, and I love the field. However, i'm having a difficult time getting employment anywhere. I even applied at a cafe, and didn't get the job, probably because I was too qualified. Then I get all the wonderful rejection letters of we have hired someone more qualified. I know that I don't have the most experience, but I have yet to get a job where I am actually using my degree. I was working as an accounting clerk, but it was almost an hour drive from my house and I only made $12 an hour. So does anyone want to hire a business graduate who is working on her human services mindset as well?? I hope it's not all in vain....I have to work in the eastern NC area due to my husband being in the military in Jacksonville. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rampagedriver in Portland, Oregon

56 months ago

Hi Veronica83. I can really feel where you are coming from as I'm somewhat in the same boat, having recently got a MS degree in Human Relations and Business, but not having the job experienced to seem to have employers want to hire me.
My solution may be to work as a consultant! This may work for you as well. Develop a plan to offer consulting services to employers. You can make good money and it should be easy to advertise for clients. Just a thought.

56 months ago

How exactly would I get into it rampage?

Samantha Tomes in New Bern, North Carolina

51 months ago

Hi there Veronica,

I know exactly how you feel. Eastern NC is terrible where the economy and available jobs are concerned. I got my AS in Business Administration in 09, and couldn't find a job to save my life. I have little experience too, which is what everyone is looking for. Almost 2 years later and I still haven't received an offer of any kind...even the simple jobs that seem to be a no-brainer.

You have a Bachelor's too which puts you in the overqualified category more often so than the qualified category. Have you tried USAJobs for government jobs on base? They're hard to get, but if you put yourself in a positive mindset and charge through, I bet you would get it! I have several friends who've managed to get government jobs with no secondary school at all, and another with just an Associate's degree, so it's definitely in reach.

Sometimes, sacrifices like a long commute are a small price to pay when you live in an area like this. Just focus on what you really want, and don't let the setbacks cloud your vision!

Congrats on your accomplishments. Just focus on what you've accomplished academically and push forward, you'll be rewarded eventually, with the learned experience of what perserverance can bring you :-)

Best of luck & greatest of wishes to you!

Samantha

51 months ago

I recently got a job. It's in the business sector so i'm using my undergrad, so we shall see how that goes. I just really hope i'm not wasting my time on my masters.

51 months ago

Veronica83 in New Bern, North Carolina said: I recently got a job. It's in the business sector so i'm using my undergrad, so we shall see how that goes. I just really hope i'm not wasting my time on my masters.

You're never wasting your time when it comes to education. Think of it this way, you don't have to be here forever. You can go anywhere you like...Eastern NC is only a blip on the radar as far as jobs are concerned. When I finish my Bachelor's, I'm getting the heck out of here myself! A Master's degree is the highest paying degree you can have, you're just overqualified for this area where only Health Care and Government jobs are in demand.

I wish you luck with this new position. How is it going so far?

Samantha

51 months ago

It's going really well. It's in accounting. Right now though it's contingent upon the budget, so if they don't have the money to keep me come July, I'm without a job again. So I'm hoping for the best. If my hubby gets out of the military (he's at CP now) we are def. moving from around this area. Even if he stays in, if we transfer duty stations maybe the next place will have some better opportunities. I know i'm not the only one. There are so many in my boat. Even though my family is close, I gotta do what's best. It just stinks having a degree but being either too qualified or not qualified enough, yet, can't get the job to get the experience. It's like a dead end street. Then I met two women the other day both with Masters (one from Duke!) with no jobs using them. I'm like geez...hope that's not what i've got to look forward to. It's going to be in Human Services and i'm hoping it will lead me somewhere ya know?

51 months ago

Veronica83 in New Bern, North Carolina said: It's going really well. It's in accounting. Right now though it's contingent upon the budget, so if they don't have the money to keep me come July, I'm without a job again. So I'm hoping for the best. If my hubby gets out of the military (he's at CP now) we are def. moving from around this area. Even if he stays in, if we transfer duty stations maybe the next place will have some better opportunities. I know i'm not the only one. There are so many in my boat. Even though my family is close, I gotta do what's best. It just stinks having a degree but being either too qualified or not qualified enough, yet, can't get the job to get the experience. It's like a dead end street. Then I met two women the other day both with Masters (one from Duke!) with no jobs using them. I'm like geez...hope that's not what i've got to look forward to. It's going to be in Human Services and i'm hoping it will lead me somewhere ya know?

Totally understand! Trust that it will lead you somewhere fabulous! The economy, while it doesn't seem like it, really is recovering, and things will level back out eventually. Students are being welcomed into the poorest job market in decades right now, so you are most definitely not alone. You never know what could happen in a year, as the economy recovers little by little.

My husband got a job within 2 days of his search back in November of 2009, right after he got out. Being former military, no matter what the MOS, is really like a meal ticket to the best jobs available around here. That leaves everyone else with education kind of in the dust! It's like I told my hubby though, we have to go somewhere that's lucrative for both of us, not just one of us, gotta go where the money is...and that's simply not here unless you're already an established professional!

It'll get better though. Like everything else that's ever a challenge or tasking, it's only temporary :)

Samantha

51 months ago

I am so with you on that one. Glad at least there is one person on here as interested as I am about this craziness.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.