Work experience without a job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

gfoto in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

I passed the CADC test, did my internship, and cannot find a job. If I am correct we need 2000 hours of paid experience to complete the cadc process. How do we get the work experience if nobody will hire until we have the CADC? Any suggestions, please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dprrw in Sacramento, California

44 months ago

I too finished school and began my internship, but was offered a job as an attendant at the residential treatment facility where I interened. I believe I was offered the position because of how I approached my internship. I treated it like a job and not only tried to learn everything about how the agency functioned, but how I could make myself more valuable. By trying to increase my knowledge and my willingness to be available to work when and where needeed I now have a caseload of my own clients. I am also accumulating hours towards my CADC 1 level certification. You have to distinguish yourself from the other interns and make it an attractive proposition to hire you. Here in Ca. volunteer hours also count towards certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gfoto in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

dprrw in Sacramento, California said: I too finished school and began my internship, but was offered a job as an attendant at the residential treatment facility whereI interened. I believe I was offered the position because of how I approached my internship. I treated it like a job and not only tried to learn everything about how the agency functioned, but how I could make myself more valuable. By trying to increase my knowledge and my willingness to be available to work when and where needeed I now have a caseload of my own clients. I am also accumulating hours towards my CADC 1 level certification. You have to distinguish yourself from the other interns and make it an attractive proposition to hire you. Here in Ca. volunteer hours also count towards certification.

I really did try to approach it as a job, although they did not let me do anything, They gave me books to read and thats about it. When I asked they said they had no time to work with me. I was sooo frustrated that they took me on when they did not have time. I wish voluntering was accepted here in Illinois. I guess I am just going to continue to keep searching and apply for more internships also. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.