To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every substance abuse counselor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your substance abuse counselor expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Kelcey in Eugene, Oregon

81 months ago

I am very sorry, I posted a response to this topic in the thread called "The Best Part Is..." Sorry. I came back to my desk and clicked on the other one probably because of the fact that it also includes the word "best" in the title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JCINFP in Santa Barbara, California

77 months ago

1 - Empathy; I try to see the client's situation as he sees and feels it.
2- Efficacy; I believe my client, right now, has what it takes to turn his life around.
3- A health dose of "I don't know." That is to say, I don't have the answers for my client, but I can listen and ask questions and they will tell me what needs to happen to turn their life around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

peace011060@cs.com in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every substance abuse counselor must have to excel?
a listening ear, empathy and efficacy.

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your substance abuse counselor expertise?

what is the answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

padilla6748@msn.com in Albuquerque, New Mexico

52 months ago

1) The ability to provide safety to an addict trying to stay clean is crucial, you must understand they have trust issues and walls built so it is important to not let them become your care taker;

2) Be an awesome listener. Do not try to fix them that is up to them.

3) Be available to support their sobriety and successes in life.

jane in Anaheim, California

45 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every substance abuse counselor must have to excel?

1. Be an active listener. Listen for what isn't said. Look at body language.
2. Be dtail-oriented. Document. Document. Document.
3. Learn to detach with love. Let the clients come up with choices and solutions to their situation. Offer suggestions. You are merely a facilitator of change, not a drill sargeant of change.

elijahjoshua9 in Bakersfield, California

38 months ago

After being in the field for over 7 years, what I have learned is communication, the oral presentation, and the delivery of the message is a need skill set in the arsenal in the defense of the treatment of substance abuse addiction, a dry delivery is like being thirsty and having no water, it will drain you and the audience of the life giving components of recovery. Not only must you believe in what you talk about but also live it. Professional communication among colleagues and peer professionals is a necessary trait in order for the morale of the workplace to strive harmoniously. There is no I in team. This will be challenging to attain because counselors let ego and unresolved core issues crowd the mental environment necessary for healthy dialogue. Empathy, therapeutic rapport, and humility are invaluable traits for counselors to have to reach the lost and dying. Self should be left at the door, but being human and needy, human nature will ooze out into the professional arena. The corner stone philology will be,"DO NOT HARM." Do until others as you would have them do unto you. I hope I was helpful. Elijah Joshua, LAADCnr

theophilus Rimai in Bangalore, India

34 months ago

1. Be an active listener rather speaker.
2. Be honest and know one's own limitation; refer to someone if necessary.
3. give supportive response but not suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.