Tips for substitute teacher interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming substitute teacher interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

I have been doing substitute teaching in Tampa, Florida since April of last year. I didn't know there were substitute teaching interviews. In most states and counties, before you can be a substitute teaching you have to take the county's required course for substitute teaching. It is a two day course, and then spend one day at a school for observation.

Look on the internet for a substitute teacher handbook put out by some school in Utah. We got ours free, but we spent three days in training - without pay. This handbook is used by a lot of states. So it's worth buying if you have to.

Let's be blunt. Substitute teaching is a lot like babysitting. I do real teaching because I have teaching certification and am looking for a position. In your case (and in most), you will go into the classroom, put your name on the board, tell the kids what they are to do. Their either do a "busy" work thing, or some classwork, or watch a movie. There really is no "teaching."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

Galina in Cartersville, Georgia

32 months ago

babita talwar in Brandon, Florida said: good , great help in findin new job in new place
thanks

Thank you.Good help in fidin new job
Galina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Galina in Cartersville, Georgia

32 months ago

Please add me this my new job substitute teacher.I would like any information.Thanks
Galina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Milaca, Minnesota

30 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I have been doing substitute teaching in Tampa, Florida since April of last year. I didn't know there were substitute teaching interviews. In most states and counties, before you can be a substitute teaching you have to take the county's required course for substitute teaching. It is a two day course, and then spend one day at a school for observation.

Look on the internet for a substitute teacher handbook put out by some school in Utah. We got ours free, but we spent three days in training - without pay. This handbook is used by a lot of states. So it's worth buying if you have to.

Let's be blunt. Substitute teaching is a lot like babysitting. I do real teaching because I have teaching certification and am looking for a position. In your case (and in most), you will go into the classroom, put your name on the board, tell the kids what they are to do. Their either do a "busy" work thing, or some classwork, or watch a movie. There really is no "teaching."

I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you. I am a substitute teacher and I also have a teaching license. I teach lessons 9 out of every 10 jobs I get. In many ways, being a substitute teacher is MUCH harder than the job of a classroom teacher, because you have the added stress of not knowing the classroom or the students, and dealing with the misbehavior that comes with it. But, at least in my state, substitute teachers must have a bachelors degree in education AND a valid teaching license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

G.N.O in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

What are the benefits of EC-6 generalist as compared to 4-8(science)..Please I need more clarification. I am confused on which route to follow..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Vallejo, California

23 months ago

My Amazon.com ebook "How To Be A Great Substitute/Teacher" includes many tips to help a substitute teacher be successful in the classroom. It has behavior management tips that can be used immediately. If you read my book, you will have skills to offer during your interview to help you get hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ennasus03 in Berwick, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I have been doing substitute teaching in Tampa, Florida since April of last year. I didn't know there were substitute teaching interviews. In most states and counties, before you can be a substitute teaching you have to take the county's required course for substitute teaching. It is a two day course, and then spend one day at a school for observation.

Yes, I completely agree "substitute teaching is a lot like babysitting" if you're the kind of substitute who sits there and reads a book the entire time or does crossword puzzles. Real substitutes teach, are involved, monitor, check-in, and practice good "with-it-ness."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.