What are the best supply chain manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a supply chain manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective supply chain manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Kent Mills in Columbus, Ohio

90 months ago

Of course supply chain manager positions have different responsibilities from company to company or industry to industry. My comments are based on the position managing: production scheduling, purchasing, inventory control, shipping and receiving as well as customer service. I feel that the CPIM from APICS is valuable and can short cut the experience requirement to a degree. It should be obvious that in order to be a successful supply change manage it takes some experience in all or most of the areas being managed. Companies that are seeking supply chain candidates straight out of college or graduate school may be disappointed. The experience base acquired through acedemia and the business world are two entirely different things. I am going to investigate APICS' CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) to further enhance my marketability.

I am a senior person that has had a lot of practical experience in startup and turnaround situations that is being overlooked in the job market due in part to my age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARTINEZ1 in somewhere, New York

73 months ago

I am not a supply chain manager. But I had 20 years of experience with many functions in field leading to what I believe makes an average supply chain person get a job.

When I look at todays job discriptions for supply chain. Employers want a supply chain person to be A CPA, finance major, lawyer, doctor, Register Nurse, Chemist.
Oh , Dear!! These companies are out of control. I just shake my head and smile back.

Question:
As America looses the grip of beaing a leader of manufacturing. Is supply chain
a dead end career? Do I have to go overseas for growing opportunities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.