EMT/ER TECH thinking of surgical tech cert.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

11K L in Glennville, Georgia

30 months ago

I have ER tech expirence and was wondering if I decided to take the path of CST if any of this expirence would even matter? I see a lot of people have trouble finding a job after graduating the program and I don't want to waste a year on something I won't even be able to do. Someone please let me know if you think my ER tech expirence will count for anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CST Mike in Dundalk, Maryland

29 months ago

Hey 11KL, I am not able to speak on the ER tech profession, but I can speak on the profession of Surgical Technology. I recently graduated from a surgical tech program last 04/25/2012. I was able to find a snag a job at the same hospital that I did my clinical rotations. I am happy to be in this profession and really love what I do. I understand the pay for surgical technology greatly differs from ER/EMT technologist according to www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#29-0000 , surgical technologist make about $6.00 more per hour than EMT/ER Techs. The working hours are less crazier and more controlled, the are full benefits, and the job market for technologists is the fastest growing of all the other health professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Migs,CST in Charlotte, North Carolina

28 months ago

11K L in Glennville, Georgia said: I have ER tech expirence and was wondering if I decided to take the path of CST if any of this expirence would even matter? I see a lot of people have trouble finding a job after graduating the program and I don't want to waste a year on something I won't even be able to do. Someone please let me know if you think my ER tech expirence will count for anything.

All that crosses over is your anatomy / physiology knowledge. However, if you are looking to be a CST at the same place you are a ER tech your chances of getting a job are better because your foot is already in the door. Around here, at least, job market is flooded with CSTs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.