Entry Level as a Surgical Technologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 271)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lilia in Redmond, Washington

97 months ago

I recently graduated 2 months ago. I've been looking for a job none stop. Nobody wants to hire a Surgical Technician fresh out of school. It's been frustrating I need to work make some money, tired of being broke. I feel like nobody wants to give me a chance to see if they like me or not. I also feel with not having regular practice scrubbing I'm loosing my confidence that I have build up during my externship. I've been applying online to hospitals that are around me, I get no response at all even If I apply 3 different times to the same hospital for different surge tech jobs. What other ways can I do to get an interview for my job? Or maybe someone knows good websites for me to try them out. Please Help me if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Gen in Clifton Park, New York

97 months ago

Lilia in Redmond, Washington said: I recently graduated 2 months ago. I've been looking for a job none stop. Nobody wants to hire a Surgical Technician fresh out of school. It's been frustrating I need to work make some money, tired of being broke. I feel like nobody wants to give me a chance to see if they like me or not. I also feel with not having regular practice scrubbing I'm loosing my confidence that I have build up during my externship. I've been applying online to hospitals that are around me, I get no response at all even If I apply 3 different times to the same hospital for different surge tech jobs. What other ways can I do to get an interview for my job? Or maybe someone knows good websites for me to try them out. Please Help me if you can.

Hey, I want to tell you to NEVER give up on accomplishments and just because you did not get a call does mean you are inadequate to work with your expeirence. Anyways, if you go on to Monsterjobs.com and just type in Surgical Technician, you should find an amazing amount of techs needed. If not give career builder a shot. I will tell you that regardless of what field of medical you are in, it is difficult to get into hospitals unless you have the luck of knowing someone as a reference. (Just my expierenc. Keep looking, you'll find something soon. Keep smiling!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Memphis, Tennessee

95 months ago

I've been out of surgical tech school since Oct. 2006, I've had 5 interviews and nothing has come out of either one. I went back to school to better my career, but it's not working out for me, should I stay at it or should I go into another field. Could someone please give me some advice. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Hey, Barbra
I also had a hard time getting hired with entry level surge tech. I actually just got hired today by a outpatient surgical center. It took me 4 months to get a job. I also had same thought's like you. I didn't know that it would be very hard to get a job with no experience. I too had thoughts going back to school. By the way I had only 3 interview. I have sent lot’s of resumes constantly to many hospitals nobody would even respond to give me a chance to interview for the job. I was so disappointed. The job I got now is a part time job. I took it because I don't have a choice. Nobody what’s fresh meat. The way I see it this is gonna get me in the field. Then hopefully I get full time. Trust me, I know how you feel. The only reason I got hired I think is because they didn't find anyone who is willing to work 2 days a week.
I tried to apply at least one application online a day everyday for 4 months, signed up for job alerts on some of the sites which help a little. I still talk to some of the people from school they work part time waiting for a full time position to open up. One way to get into hospital you could do some other job in a hospital just to get your foot in. Work a little, then apply for a surge tech position when their is an opening. Hospitals have to hire within first before they hire the public. You can also try to get to know managers nurses that could possible get you in. Don't give up. I also did a lot studying for interview which help me .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Barbara in Memphis, Tennessee said: I've been out of surgical tech school since Oct. 2006, I've had 5 interviews and nothing has come out of either one. I went back to school to better my career, but it's not working out for me, should I stay at it or should I go into another field. Could someone please give me some advice. Thank you

-Or you can go back to school and become an OR RN/Surge Tech. Then for sure every hospital will want you to work for them because you will be able to do 2 jobs., and you will make more money. Entry level Nurse has no problems getting hired at all. Or, try to get a hold of someone from your school maybe they can help you get a job. That's how I got my job one of the girls from school recommended me to a doctor that was looking to hire a surge tech. They didn't hire me at my friends hospital which I wanted to work but the doctor hired me at another surgical center. Which is good enough for me right now. Better to have something then nothing at all. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Thank you for your encourgement and taking the time to give me some advice. I'm going to keep trying, until something gives.
Thanks Lilia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois

95 months ago

I have been called for an interview 150 miles from my home. I'm going, but I don't think I would be able to take the position...I don't want my daughter to change schools her last year. It will be good practice, though. Keep the faith, everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaleta

95 months ago

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: I graduated July 17, 2007. I have applied to over 20 hospitals, in and out of my area. So far, nothing. It seems very difficult, but I will keep trying. I have a daughter finishing her last year of high school, so I really don't want to move; I may have to, but I hope I don't forget everything if it's gonna take so long to get hired. Also, this course was expensive, so going back to school before I can pay off this loan is not appealing!
Good luck to all of us.

Shirley where did you go to school for surgical technology..I live in Chicago and I am interested in becoming a surgical technologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LoriLynn in La Crescent, Minnesota

95 months ago

Hi everyone, I am just beginning to start the admissions process of becoming a surgical tech and was hoping to talk to some recent graduates.
I have a one year old and a four year old and my husband has his own business. I know the program will be tough and time consuming, but will it be too much with my young children and busy husband?? Would I be better off to wait?? Any input would be fabulous!!

Lori

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

One of our students had 4 children at home, another had 3. I think it will be ok as long as you have their support. You may need to stay up late, or get up very early to study. My problems were more financial - other than that the program is intense, but you can do it.
Unless you really love surgery, you may want to check into how easily you can find a job afterwards. I'm still looking, as are many of my classmates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Kaleta said: Shirley where did you go to school for surgical technology..I live in Chicago and I am interested in becoming a surgical technologist.

Prairie State College in Chicago Heights.
It's cheaper than some of the proprietary schools; they may have a better placement rate, though...I would try to find some of their students to talk to if I could.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kaleta

95 months ago

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: Prairie State College in Chicago Heights.
It's cheaper than some of the proprietary schools; they may have a better placement rate, though...I would try to find some of their students to talk to if I could.

Thank you for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Whittier, California

95 months ago

Sheirly,
I was working full time and going to school at night while my husband took care of my 8 y/o son and3 y/o daughter. When you have family support it really makes a differance. You should at least try to get in now and work in a hospital in the central supply or volunteer at least 1 or 2 days a week. I will help you went you get out of school. I didn't know we had to have at least 1 y/o exp. just to to get in the door so that is the best advice I can get you. I just finished my surgical tech program about a week ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

are you alreaady hired somewhere?
I finished July 16, so it hasn't been a long time, but it feels like it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

I'm just curious. Could you all share how many hours of actual hands on scrub experience you got in your programs.
We were in the hospitals actually scrubbing in from the 9th week of our program to graduation...4 days a week from 7-3 (Fri 7-1). This was for 32 weeks total. Oct to July.
Is this typical? I counted my cases and it came to 247=.
I don't have anything to compare this to, so I just wondered if this was what most folks are doing?
Any response would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Shirley, I went to Concorde Career College in Memphis, Tn. I started the course in Oct. 2005 and we did class work and labs until July 2006. I started my clinicals July 31, 2006 and I finished Oct 27, 2006.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AnnGee in Chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

I also am to start a surgical tech 2 year program in 1wk and I am very concerned as I just read some of the comments of the recent graduates. I've been planning this for about 3 - 4 years now and it is finaly here but now that it is here I am second guessing the whole thing. I am a 38yo black female who will be 41 when I graduate. We all know that ageism/racism is alive and well, so this question is to the recent graduates: How difficult is it to find a gig post graduation for you or your classmates?
Question for the people who have been in this field for 2+ yrs: what is the adverage age for a new hire surg tech?
Question for who knows the answer:They ask for 1yr exp but how do you get it unless someone gives it to you?
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

I am over 50 black female; I was concerned about the age/race thing. There are not a lot of black people in the OR. If you are not hired by one of the hospitals you do your clinicals at, it's more difficult. If you really want this, go for it, but there may be obstacles...you know how to go around them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Thanks Shirley,
How long have you been out of school and how did you manage your bills while in school full-time? I am a single mom of 2 (one is 19yo so realy just 1 dependant)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJ_Reany in Amelia, Ohio

94 months ago

I am currently enrolled in a surg tech class and need to do a research paper about this field. I need to ask a few questions and would love input from anyone.

1. How long did you go to school to become a surg tech?
2. What rate of pay were you expecting and what did you actually get (rounded figure)
3. What do you like about the position
4. What don't you like about the position
5. What types of things are required in your field
6. Are there lots of opportunities available to you
7. Do you feel that where you live affects your rate of pay
8. Would you recommend this career to anyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

It was hard financially. I had saved a little money, but there was always something unexpected...auto repair, new tires when the roads got bad, high gas prices...by the time I finished in July, I was strechted pretty thin.
I have a job offer in Urbana. I'm trying to see if I can commute for a year so I won't have to change my daughters school - she's a senior. I have to say prayer, my family and a lots of understanding people helped me to get through. If you make up your mind, you can do it.
Do you plan to work? Some of my classmates did, and they made it through.

94 months ago

Lilia in Redmond, Washington said: I recently graduated 2 months ago. I've been looking for a job none stop. Nobody wants to hire a Surgical Technician fresh out of school. It's been frustrating I need to work make some money, tired of being broke. I feel like nobody wants to give me a chance to see if they like me or not. I also feel with not having regular practice scrubbing I'm loosing my confidence that I have build up during my externship. I've been applying online to hospitals that are around me, I get no response at all even If I apply 3 different times to the same hospital for different surge tech jobs. What other ways can I do to get an interview for my job? Or maybe someone knows good websites for me to try them out. Please Help me if you can.

How are things going for you now? Have you found a job yet.
I may have some ideas for you.

Carrie in Memphis, Tennessee

94 months ago

Barbara in Memphis, Tennessee said: Shirley, I went to Concorde Career College in Memphis, Tn. I started the course in Oct. 2005 and we did class work and labs until July 2006. I started my clinicals July 31, 2006 and I finished Oct 27, 2006.

Hi Babrbara,
I am considering Concorde in Memphis for their surgical tech program. I did not realize it was so difficult to get hired. Would you choose this career if you had it to do over again? How did you like Concorde? I am just curious because that program is a LOT of money to spend and I want to make sure I can get a job, lol. Any advice/info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Carrie

Mari in Escalon, California

94 months ago

Carrie,
Maybe you should start by calling your local hospitals and speaking with the HR dept. Ask if there are any openings for surgical techs currently and if there is a demand for them.I think you can get an idea of what the job market is for surgical techs and make your decision based on your findings.

94 months ago

Thanks Barbara,
Carrie, there were many openings for surg techs in my area, but they were not necessarily listed with HR department. I job I'm being considered for now was never posted. It seems the hospitals in my area like to hire the students who do their clinicals at that hospital.
You may also want to look up the starting pay on salary.com, etc, and make sure it will be worth what you have to pay. If I had it to do over, I would still do it.
I love the work, but I don't have any illusions about the pay and the conditions. IT's Hard Work!! They don't call you scrubs for nothing :-}

94 months ago

Barbara in Memphis, Tennessee said: Shirley, I went to Concorde Career College in Memphis, Tn. I started the course in Oct. 2005 and we did class work and labs until July 2006. I started my clinicals July 31, 2006 and I finished Oct 27, 2006.

Barbara, are you working now? Are you with one of the
hospitals you trained at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Whittier, California

94 months ago

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: are you alreaady hired somewhere?
I finished July 16, so it hasn't been a long time, but it feels like it is.

I don't have a job yet but I've been 2 interviews. I have to find a job soon you know bills and house payments. I will find out this Wednesday if I get a job or not. One thing I found out is you need to know some one in the hospital so you can chance to even get considered for the job opening. Some people told me they will call but the question is when. I've done everything to get a job but I just don't have the experance they are looking for.

Hana in Bedford, Massachusetts

94 months ago

AnnGee in Chicago, Illinois said: I also am to start a surgical tech 2 year program in 1wk and I am very concerned as I just read some of the comments of the recent graduates. I've been planning this for about 3 - 4 years now and it is finaly here but now that it is here I am second guessing the whole thing. I am a 38yo black female who will be 41 when I graduate. We all know that ageism/racism is alive and well, so this question is to the recent graduates: How difficult is it to find a gig post graduation for you or your classmates?
Question for the people who have been in this field for 2+ yrs: what is the adverage age for a new hire surg tech?
Question for who knows the answer:They ask for 1yr exp but how do you get it unless someone gives it to you?
Thanks.

When I graduated, I called directly to O.R. department and asked for OR manager. That is the best way find out if there is a position opened and to let him(her) know that you are fresh out of school. If they are interested then they will send you to H.R. and then you go through the original process.

I know because I graduated in 1999 and got excepted in 4 major hospitals in Boston. I actually got to choose which one I want to work. S, please dont give up your hope and keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hana in Bedford, Massachusetts

94 months ago

Hey, I graduated as a Surg Tech in 1999 and worked in a big hospital for 6 years. Then I had 2 more children and I had to be out of the field for almost 2 years. Now I want to apply back and I am worry if they will hire me. I feel like my skills are deminishing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Thank you soooo very much for you words of encouragement.

94 months ago

Carrie, Concorde is a good school, they have good teachers that help you alot. But they are strict about attendence and the dress code. I was offered a job today and I've been out of school since Oct., I don't want to scare you about how long it took me to get a job. It happens that way sometimes, 4 or 5 of my classmates got jobs soon as we gradute. I just kept at it, I went on interview after interview. But I was not given up, I chose to be a surgical tech., because I always wanted to be in the medical field. I suggest that you think about it before you jump into because it's not a easy course. What every decision you make I hope it works out for you. Good luck

94 months ago

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: Barbara, are you working now? Are you with one of the
hospitals you trained at?

Shirley, I was offered a job today, and no I didnot get hired at the hopsital I trained at.

94 months ago

CONGRATULATIONS!! That's great news. Are you going to accept it?

94 months ago

Hey, everyone...
Let's not give up!!! There are jobs, and we will ALL get hired. It took a lot of faith and belief for me to get through the program, but I never thouht it wouldn't happen. And now I know I will get a job.
So let's all start by EXPECTING to get a job. Looking is just the adventure that gets us to where we are going.
How cool is it gonna be to work in the OR? We are very, very special people. Next time you go into an interview, take that thought with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Hana in Bedford, Massachusetts said: Hey, I graduated as a Surg Tech in 1999 and worked in a big hospital for 6 years. Then I had 2 more children and I had to be out of the field for almost 2 years. Now I want to apply back and I am worry if they will hire me. I feel like my skills are deminishing.

I bet you won't have any problems.
Experience doesn't leave you, and whatever has changed you will pick up faster than a newbie. I've been told it's like riding a bike.

hana in Boston, Massachusetts

94 months ago

Thanks for the encouragement!!! I've heard the same thing before. I really enjoy to work in the OR. The only thing I have problem with is the 7AM start. No day care is open at 6 am, so I might wait another year or so to get back to OR.

hana in Boston, Massachusetts

94 months ago

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: Hey, everyone...
Let's not give up!!! There are jobs, and we will ALL get hired. It took a lot of faith and belief for me to get through the program, but I never thouht it wouldn't happen. And now I know I will get a job.
So let's all start by EXPECTING to get a job. Looking is just the adventure that gets us to where we are going.
How cool is it gonna be to work in the OR? We are very, very special people. Next time you go into an interview, take that thought with you.

I totally agree with you. I graduated from Bunker Hill Community College. Our class started with 27 people and only 9 of us graduated and only 4 people actually ended up working in the field. It was not easy to finish the program, but it was worthy. So yeah...., I beleive we are special people and I beleive that this job is not for everyone!!!!! I also beleive there is a shortage of us and big demand for people like us!! So please dont give up searching for a position and also for the single people out there look into traveling surg. tech. position....great benefits there and a lot of opportunities to get experiences in different states!!

94 months ago

Thanks, Shirley I excepted the position, I start Aug.27. My friend works at the same hospital and she said that you never forget you skills. Once you get into it, everything comes back to you. Good luck to everyone and don't give up!!!!

94 months ago

It's been 3 months now since I got a part time job. It's going okay I guess. Although I want more hours which was promised to me later on. I guess I have no choice just have to wait if worse comes to worse at least I'm getting some experience. It sure is a long process to go through to get were I want to be. There is so mush to learn in this job the education that I got was not good at all in school. I think it makes it even more harder when you have a job because you have to really learn fast, seems like a lot of people don't have patience with unskilled people in the OR. I feel like I'm in constant pressure can not wait when I can feel relaxed in my job. I guess It will be a while. Right now I'm trying to focus on improving every time I work.Hard at times to be positive when you feel like your not as good as other surge techs because they have more experience then you. Only time will tell...

94 months ago

Lilia, Don't let those people stress you out stay positive and pray. You will get through it, I know it's hard but keep your head up. And don't let them make you feel like you don't know anything. Because you were trained to do this job, I know it's a lot to learn, but as long as you stay a tech., you will continue to learn and grow. And things will get easy for you.
Good luck!!!

GF in Florence, Kentucky

94 months ago

I am finishing up a program. I am doing my externship now. I started that today. I'm realizing how much I still don't know....and wondering if I can really do this job. It's overwhelmin...though my preceptor is amazing~! I just have no confidence and am trying to see how to build that when I feel like I feel....and we only learned general insruments so the plastics, etc cases....so many unknown instruments.

I'm just gonna keep trucking....we'll see where God leads me. Right? Argh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

I can relate!! I was told the confidence comes in time.
I used to leave my clinicals and cry in the car.
Try not to let them see you cry :). I just started my first job today...I know there is a lot I still don't know, but there is a lot you do know. Most of the trays have just variations of the basice instruments you already know. Don't be intimidated. You can do this if you want to. It really is not rocket science.
I believe in you. Hang in there.

94 months ago

I know it's hard. Are there any books you can get that you didn't have in school that may help you in the OR?
I've seen some titles on Amazon that looked good.
Keep studying, keep praying and you will be fine.
Some of the people who give you a hard time were no better when they started. Keep striving...and now that you have some experience, don't forget to keep looking for a full time job, if that's what you want.

BRANDI in Downey, California

94 months ago

Annie in Whittier, California said: Sheirly,
I was working full time and going to school at night while my husband took care of my 8 y/o son and3 y/o daughter. When you have family support it really makes a differance. You should at least try to get in now and work in a hospital in the central supply or volunteer at least 1 or 2 days a week. I will help you went you get out of school. I didn't know we had to have at least 1 y/o exp. just to to get in the door so that is the best advice I can get you. I just finished my surgical tech program about a week ago.

YOU KNOW WHAT?THAT IS TRUE,BECAUSE,I ACTUALLY HAD TO LEAVE CALIFORNIA,FOR 2 YEARS,TO GAIN EXPERENCE.AT THAT TIME I DID NOT HAVE CHILDREN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Thank you to all for your support. Feels good that some people can relate to what I'm going through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Shirley in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: How are things going for you now? Have you found a job yet.
I may have some ideas for you.[/QUOT
Hi, Shirley
I found a job it is a part time for now but I was promised a full time I took it because as you know nobody wanted to hire me for a long time, although I must say I had another place call me back for a 2nd interview. But it took them a while to respond it was also a part time. So I decided to take who ever offers me first. I was getting very broke needed something. I felt I was out of options. So far It’s okay learning things but this place is a little not organized they are basically putting a team together so there is constant changes. So I’m going with the flow it could turn out to be a good job. If not at least I'm getting some experience that I could put on my resume.

94 months ago

YOUR WELCOME.

94 months ago

ARE YOU WILLING TO RELOCATE?SOMETIMES THATS SOMETHING PEOPLE HAVE TO DO.

laura in Salisbury, North Carolina

94 months ago

is anyone from NC HAVING ANY PROBLEMS GETTING A JOB IN THE TRIAD AREA?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.