Getting a job with a Plastic Surgeon...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Vincent gage in Boston, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Ok first most Dr's offices will use med asst. Cost effective. Also the Doctor has to cover a ton of overhead if he is in private practice. If you are just starting out try a hospital first working more in plastics then try a job with a Doctor who knows you or can reconmend you to another Doctor. There are jobs for techs it just takes time. Where ever you do your rotation try to get in good with the staff and then you will get hired. if your a really good student.
I have been a tech for 20 yrs. learned in the navy.
My advice work in a big hospital in all services and you can write your own ticket. Also go to nursing school. techs are limited to just operating room. You can get lucky with a doctor making more money but it is luck and time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee

86 months ago

Thanks Vincent for the good advice. I was beginning to think I was the only one who was interested in this area.
It makes sense what you say about the Big Hospital and working in all the service.
I was thinking about going to nursing school, but thought I'd try this ( S.T.) first and see if it's something I really want to do and then further my education by going to nursing school.

Thanks again for your response !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Sarasota, Florida

86 months ago

Rebecca, I just moved from Nashville to Sarasota, Fl. I went to Miller-Motte for an AAS, but now, I am in a 11 month program that has 100% (pending on the student) in the hospitals. I am thinking of open heart, then maybe plastic ($$$). Have you found any luck with a school. Nashville State has a program, right? I tell you, I visited the Miller-Motte in Chattanooga and I was impressed (plus they have a cadaver you can work at). Do not be discouraged because if you stand out and show confidence in your externship (and class room from start to finish) you will be recognized. Call Mrs Holter at Miller-Motte in Clarksville and tell her James Grady refered you to ask her your concerns. She is really really candid and will steer you right! Good luck. My email: jamesdgrady@comcast.net Let me know how things go!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee

86 months ago

WoW, Thanks so much James. That certainly is encouraging news. I know what you mean about standing out and doing your best and getting the recognition for your interest and good work. I plan on doing that !
Thanks so much on the tip on calling Mrs. Holter, I REALLY appreciate it.
I wish you Good look in all your new endeavours !
Thanks again !
~Rebecca Magness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jean in Silverton, Oregon

84 months ago

Im a esthetician and work in salon. I would like to work in dermatologist or a plastic surgeons office to become a medical esthetican. not having any luck does any one have any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Seattle, Washington

83 months ago

rachel in Gresham, Oregon said: Yes, you will make more money in an outpatient surgery center, than in a hospital, but you will need more experience to get that type of job. Strangely enough, there's less money working for a plastic surgeon, at least in my town.[/QUOTE

Rachel,

What school did you attend to become a surgical Tech in Oregon? I live in Oregon and is interested in becoming a surg. tech myself. Was there any type of exam you had to take to be admited into your program.

Thanks,
Ann

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

83 months ago

Mount hood and cambridge college are 2 of the schools here for surgical technology,one is a community college the other vocational school,either one you can sit for the boards. Usually after 6 months to a year you can easily get a job.Age is not a factor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

83 months ago

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee said: Thanks Vincent for the good advice. I was beginning to think I was the only one who was interested in this area.
It makes sense what you say about the Big Hospital and working in all the service.
I was thinking about going to nursing school, but thought I'd try this ( S.T.) first and see if it's something I really want to do and then further my education by going to nursing school.

Thanks again for your response !

I agree nursing school is the ticket you are very limited in the surgical tech field and basically it is the same amount of time as far as schooling.I went to school for only 1 year back in chi here it is 15 months.

83 months ago

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon said: I agree nursing school is the ticket you are very limited in the surgical tech field and basically it is the same amount of time as far as schooling.I went to school for only 1 year back in chi here it is 15 months.

Mcclure---

What ST school did you get your training thru?

I checked Cambridge College and they are not CAAHEP accredited. Can I still sit for the board?

I want to gather as much information as possible before I make this big decision.

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

83 months ago

I trained in chicago in'89.I just found out that they deleted the program @Cambridge.Check out Mount hood community college.

83 months ago

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon said: I trained in chicago in'89.I just found out that they deleted the program @Cambridge.Check out Mount hood community college.

Mcclure,

Do you work as a ST currently? How do you like it if are a ST?

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

83 months ago

Yes I currently work as a ST.I have been doing it for 16-17 years it's ok,the money is good.

ann in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

Do you work for a major hospital or doctor's office? Does working as a ST require alot of OT?

ann in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee said: I'll be starting a 15 month Surgical technology program this Oct. I must say I'm getting a bit nervous reading this forum and hearing how difficult it can be getting a job in the beginning. I'm also 48 yrs. old ( female ) and I wonder if that will work against me ?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has info. about working for a Plastic surgeon or a Dr. that does reconstructive surgery ? Is there potential there ? I find this area very interesting.

Also can you make more money working in a Dr's office that does out patient surgery
versus a hospital ?

Just curious...how you are doing in your program?

Vin in Boston in Reading, Massachusetts

83 months ago

I would look into a two year nursing program. I am a cst but I trained in the navy. I have been doing it for 20yrs and going back for nursing. There are more jobs for a nurse then a tech. As a tech you can only work in a O.R type place. You can work for a Dr.'s office if they do some type of same day surgery stuff in the office. The pay will depend on the practice of the Doctor. How much is he/she willing to pay. Private docs have more overhead
As a tech your not on a equal level as a nurse. Some places you fall under nursing so they say but your not treated that way.
If you look at cst job levels or class you will see that your not under nursing in most hospitals. I work at BMC in Boston and the union for the techs fall under with everyone else outside nursing, the nurses are separate. Interesting indeed!
I have had great yrs as a cst but going to nursing school and going for nurse practioner would be great for me. I will just have more chances of working anywhere in a hospital. I do not wish to discourage you but if you can go 15 months for cst then think hard to go another 9 months for a nursing program. I know cost is a factor for many people so it is not uncommon to go for cst and while making a litle more money then the previous job go for nursing later. It is a big decison.
I hope this helps. Take care
Vincente

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Ethiopia

81 months ago

I am also planning a 12 month ST program shortly and asking to anyone out there: how flexible is the career, in terms of 1- getting into a specialization (i.e., neuro-surgery, pediatric ortho, etc.) -- assuming you prove your worth and get close to a particular surgeon? and 2 - being able to work in different geographical locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

81 months ago

I would recommend being a traveler.Usually they want you to have at least 3 years experience,and you do go to different states with all sorts of perks.Yes you can decide which specialty you want to scrub on but you need the experience first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

81 months ago

ann in Portland, Oregon said: Do you work for a major hospital or doctor's office? Does working as a ST require alot of OT?

I work in ambulatory setting which is separate from the main hospital but I do go there when needed.There are times when cases run pass your shift and there is no one to relieve you but that is not the norm.The best part of my position working in the ambulatory setting is no call and no weekends.Sometimes I take call for the extra cash but it's my choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don in Ethiopia

81 months ago

Cool. Hey from your experience can you say whether there is much flexibility in a ST career in terms of 1)schedule (let's say I needed a summer with a part-time schedule, and other parts of the year on-call 24/7 as many hours as they want etc) and 2) Choosing a specialization (i.e., neurosurgery assist) and 3) being a travelling ST -- within the US or overseas?)

One more question...what could I expect as starting salary? The internet gives very different ranges.

Thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mcclure in Aloha, Oregon

81 months ago

If you are referring to me,as a traveler you make your own schedule,you tell the agency the hours you wantto work.As far as being on call 24/7 not as a traveler,you will sign contracts usually 13 weeks at a time.The longest I was allowed to be on call at one hospital was 16 hours and sometimes you work it.At this hospital they can be on call 24 hours on sat/sun and nite call during the week.People are always trying to give away their call.Choosing a specialty? When I traveled i traveled locally and in some hospitals I was first assist.There are some courses you can take and an exam you sit for to become a CSTFA certified surgical tech first assist.More money and your are actually assisting the surgeon.The catch is you do not have to be certified to travel but you have to certified to get the FA behind the CST.Every state pays differently,you can tell the agency for example nothing less than $20.It depends on the agency you hook up with.I'm guessing as a regular employee depending where you live $12-$25 and I'm guessing don't forget experience plays a big part in it.

Randi in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

rachel in Gresham, Oregon said: Yes, you will make more money in an outpatient surgery center, than in a hospital, but you will need more experience to get that type of job. Strangely enough, there's less money working for a plastic surgeon, at least in my town.

I am thinking of taking training to be a surgical tech and was wondering where you will be going to school? Thanks for helping.

Don in Bronx, New York

80 months ago

Hi Mcclure

May I ask...how much experience do you need to begin as a travelling Tech? THanks.
Don

mcclure in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

When I started it was 3yrs.But you can call any agency and they can tell you.Right now I'm getting really to work as a traveler again .It's called TVL healthcare google it and give them a call and ask for fay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kuczyk in Jersey City, New Jersey

80 months ago

I've never heard of a CSTFA. Is this something new? What is the job description? Can you help me? Also, do you think that ST's will be the new an exploding career? thank you

80 months ago

I do not know how long CSTFA has been in effect but you are assissting the surgeon.You are not setting up or passing instuments.You are holding retractors,suturing, closing,cutting,and any and everything the surgeon wants you to do.You bill the patient for your money as well as the surgeon paying you.I'm not sure if all of that money is coming from the patient or the surgeon pays you and the patient pays you.There are extra courses you have to take as well as being a certified surgical tech.CSTFA make nice money.You also have to pay for malpractice insurance which is a lot of money because if the surgeon gets sued so do you.Hopes this helps.

kuczyk in Jersey City, New Jersey said: I've never heard of a CSTFA. Is this something new? What is the job description? Can you help me? Also, do you think that ST's will be the new an exploding career? thank you

80 months ago

Sorry forgot a question, it is not a new career and it has always been exploding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

GEEEEE thanks for such a prompt response. How long is the course for CSTFA'S and can you point me in the right direction as to where these courses are offered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

KJ in Phoenix, Arizona

79 months ago

This has been a huge help, reading all your comments. I have been in skin care for 7 years, the last 3 have been with a Derm and I have been able to train as his asst as well it has been a great experience however if I could be in surgery all day I would be happy. I started with my pre-reqs for nursing and got burned out so I have been investigating being a ST. It looks like being a CSTFA is right up my alley. Any thoughts on what state would be the best to live in? My husband and I want to start a family and we want to live somewhere safe with good weather and a little land not too far from work with good wages.

79 months ago

mcclure in Portland, Oregon said: www.allalliedhealthschools.com/featured/surgical_tech/?src=goo_ahs_surgt_23536b

www.allalliedhealthschools.com/faqs/surgical-assistant.php

try these links

Thanks for the links mcclure. How many years of schooling is it for a CFTSA? And what is the starting pay? i'm in Surgical Tech school now, do I have to complete this school before I move on to become a CFTSA? The professors here in my school (which are doctors) say that you can learn to be a CFTSA on the job. The tri state area dosen't reconize CFTSA. That would be N.Y--N.J and CONN. You have been such a big help to me and everyone.

mcclure in Beaverton, Oregon

79 months ago

KJ in Phoenix, Arizona said: This has been a huge help, reading all your comments. I have been in skin care for 7 years, the last 3 have been with a Derm and I have been able to train as his asst as well it has been a great experience however if I could be in surgery all day I would be happy. I started with my pre-reqs for nursing and got burned out so I have been investigating being a ST. It looks like being a CSTFA is right up my alley. Any thoughts on what state would be the best to live in? My husband and I want to start a family and we want to live somewhere safe with good weather and a little land not too far from work with good wages.

I can't answer on which states to live in.I lived in chicago all my life up until '95 then I moved to Oregon and I love it.

mcclure in Beaverton, Oregon

79 months ago

kuczyk in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Thanks for the links mcclure. How many years of schooling is it for a CFTSA? And what is the starting pay? i'm in Surgical Tech school now, do I have to complete this school before I move on to become a CFTSA? The professors here in my school (which are doctors) say that you can learn to be a CFTSA on the job. The tri state area dosen't reconize CFTSA. That would be N.Y--N.J and CONN. You have been such a big help to me and everyone.

yes you have to complete the schooling and you do learn on the job as far as assisting but you learn the basics in tech school.I have no clue on staring pay for CSTFA.Go to the links I posted above and you can also google starting pay for certified surgical technician first assistant and see what you come up with.

79 months ago

mcclure in Beaverton, Oregon said: yes you have to complete the schooling and you do learn on the job as far as assisting but you learn the basics in tech school.I have no clue on staring pay for CSTFA.Go to the links I posted above and you can also google starting pay for certified surgical technician first assistant and see what you come up with.

WOW!!!!!! school is so intense and fast moving. I am doing well but I just don't know how I am able to retain so much info in so little time. I'ts a 1yr school and it's accredited, but MAN----I sure hope that can retain just enough to pass the boards. Thanks so much for all of your help Mcclure.

AshClarke in Jacksonville, Florida

79 months ago

Okay about this CSTFA Here in Florida you are a CST. Then if you are AWESOME and have experience you have to take an exame to become a CFA. CFA= Certified First Assistant. This position is an HONOR! No really here in Jacksonville Florida there are only 4 FOUR CFA!! Yes and Jacksonville is huge. To take the First Assistant Exam you have to have so many hours & scub in on a certain number of cases. You dont just decide to be a First Assistant. It's super hard.

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia

78 months ago

Working with a plastic surgeon in an office setting was a total nightmare for me. I saw the worst case scenario in an office setting. The doctor's technique was based on finances, the equipment was shoddy, the patient care was terrible and the hours were LONG with very little pay. There are some doctors that have an amazing private OR and they follow the law and technique to a T but there is no oversight in a private setting and for me it was a very bad experience.

Gin in Chester, Virginia

78 months ago

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: Working with a plastic surgeon in an office setting was a total nightmare for me. I saw the worst case scenario in an office setting. The doctor's technique was based on finances, the equipment was shoddy, the patient care was terrible and the hours were LONG with very little pay. There are some doctors that have an amazing private OR and they follow the law and technique to a T but there is no oversight in a private setting and for me it was a very bad experience.

Jennifer E. finally a VA person. lol I have been a certified medical assistant for about 15 years. However I have been an at home mom for the last 4. I am trying to get back into the medical field and am thinking about the cst program in Chester,VA. It's about $23,000 and with grants I would still have about $18,000 to pay in student loans. This seems outrageous to me. I'm wondering if you have has any luck in the Va area. Was it hard to find a job here and there is such a wide pay range. I'm not sure what to believe. The admissions person there said one of the girls got a job offer before she even graduated making $43,500. This doesn't sound like what I have been seeing here or on other sites I have visited. Can you offer any insite? I'm really undecided and would appreciate any info you could share. THANKS!!

Me in Charleston, South Carolina

78 months ago

Gin in Chester, Virginia, watch out for ST programs that charge that rate. I went to Miller-Motte Technical College in Charleston back 2005 and they were charging about $20,000 for a program for a job that paid $11 an hour coming out. This college was a huge for-profit (nothing more than a car dealership under the guise of a college)They would push the students to refer other students to the school like some kind of retail joint or something. Then they would have "referal parties" where the students who refered the largest amount of people to the school they got prizes like some kind of business. I thought it was sickening for a school to be doing that when it's supposed to be commited to promoting a quality education. What they charged for 1 semester, I could have attended the local community college for WHOLE year plus books paid. Then on top of that, as long as you had a pulse and a checkbook they would admit too many students into the ST program and a result, the local job market was flooded w/ graduates and all the jobs were gone if you were planning on staying in the local area. Before I left, the program started to suffer from quality issues b/c the instructors were these skinny, chain smoking ex-army dudes who had temper issues and then when the students would go to extern at the hospital, they actually got sent home b/c the hospital was disgusted with the shoddy work practices the students were displaying. If I was you, I would only attempt an ST program taught by a local community college or hospital program. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia

78 months ago

Gin, I'm going to have to go with Me in Charleston. I have been really shocked to see that ST school is costing over $20k. I realize that I went to school back in 1994, but I can't believe the dramatic rise in tuition. If my memory serves me correctly, my schooling cost me $2k + books. I was accepted by a hospital accredited ST program in NH and we had a whopping 9 students in our class. That being said, just with 9 of us graduating, jobs were few and far between.

I moved to VA and I've never had a problem finding work, but up in NH it was brutal. Last week I was offered 2 jobs within 24 hours here in F'burg. I took the one that offered a better lifestyle for our family for a lower hourly rate of pay. That is something that you also need to consider when you think about a career like this. You will most likely be on a schedule at a hospital that will impact your life, rotating weekends, odd shift hours, call etc.

I would suggest calling your local hospitals and see if they have any in house ST programs that you can apply for and skip the big dollar schools. You will benefit from a hospital based program due to direct access to the OR. Your clinical time can be thought of as an interview process of sorts as well. Once you graduate and you apply for a position in their OR, you have the advantage of others applying due the the OR staff already knowing you and your work ethic. HTH

Don in New York, New York

78 months ago

Great insight GIN; in fact it is comforting to know there are surg techs with such broad perspectives and can see things for what they are. I am at a high-priced surg tech program in NY and, while here I'll speak with discretion, I am working hard - too hard in my opinion given the cost of this program - to ensure my surgical technology education is conducted within a larger scope of the medical profession, health-care overall, science, and society. I have so far been a bit shocked, to be honest, by the extremely inellectually narrow scope of some of the professors (though not all). We've in essence been TOLD to ignore larger O mechanics). But we have to hang in there....it IS a part of a larger, wonderful professoion which helps people. Oh gosh what a nightmare to have such teachers -- I'm sorry. And, what a slap in the face to the vocation. What posers. They should have stayed in the army where their tempers could be put to deadly use. (dark joke there).

Consider it like this: Having been through this -- and keeping your eyes open -- you can surely be in a position to LEAD once you are in the profession. It needs people like you there.

Soapbox finished.

;)

Don in New York, New York

78 months ago

For "ME IN CHARLESTON"

...I meant to congratulate "ME IN CHARLESTON" in my previous email. The whole exchange was a good one too...hang in there GIN -- yes 23,000 is too much for the program. I almost got tricked into a similar private 'tech school' program for ST before enrolling into a program -- still overpriced, but about half of the other total rip-off price from the tech school.

AND...a local hospital person told me that OR HR people don't always consider the private tech schools good at preparing qualified OR staff anyway...

78 months ago

Me in Charleston, South Carolina said: Gin in Chester, Virginia, watch out for ST programs that charge that rate. I went to Miller-Motte Technical College in Charleston back 2005 and they were charging about $20,000 for a program for a job that paid $11 an hour coming out. This college was a huge for-profit (nothing more than a car dealership under the guise of a college)They would push the students to refer other students to the school like some kind of retail joint or something. Then they would have "referal parties" where the students who refered the largest amount of people to the school they got prizes like some kind of business. I thought it was sickening for a school to be doing that when it's supposed to be commited to promoting a quality education. What they charged for 1 semester, I could have attended the local community college for WHOLE year plus books paid. Then on top of that, as long as you had a pulse and a checkbook they would admit too many students into the ST program and a result, the local job market was flooded w/ graduates and all the jobs were gone if you were planning on staying in the local area. Before I left, the program started to suffer from quality issues b/c the instructors were these skinny, chain smoking ex-army dudes who had temper issues and then when the students would go to extern at the hospital, they actually got sent home b/c the hospital was disgusted with the shoddy work practices the students were displaying. If I was you, I would only attempt an ST program taught by a local community college or hospital program. Good luck!

How is the pay in charleston for ST? I was told that they can make as much as $22.00hr. is that true? are there many jobs down there as ST?

Kelly in Berkeley, California

72 months ago

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee said: I'll be starting a 15 month Surgical technology program this Oct. I must say I'm getting a bit nervous reading this forum and hearing how difficult it can be getting a job in the beginning. I'm also 48 yrs. old ( female ) and I wonder if that will work against me ?
I graduated in December 07. Its now October 08!!! I have been a mess looking for jobs- Ive gone through recruitment services, Ive called Doctors in phone books, I search on Craigslist and others sites EVERYDAY putting in my resume. Ive called HR based on referrals from people i've met..ect. I have done everything needed to get a job being a Surgical Tech. The key is to not give up though. It will take time. You are most likely to get hired at your clinical location, so dont mess that up for yourself. Show up early and dont miss days. If you dont get hired through your clinical your BEST bet is an outpatient clinic or (Plastic Surgeon). Recrutiment doesnt work because they get paid to find people who have 'experience' Hospitals arent going to pay the recruiters to bring them someone who has no experience vs a Tech who has years of experience. Open up a phone book and call small surgical practices. Ask them if they have a need for a Surgical Tech or even a Sterile Processor. Alot of those Doctors love new students because they can build you from your fresh slate. You dont have any bad habits from other Doctors and so forth. Its a great start. I have found applying at large hospitals was a huge waste of time. However, i got a few interviews from Kaiser but it was on-call. Just last week i got a call from a Plastic Surgeon, went in to interview that day, and got the job. I start this Thursday!! Good things happen to those who wait, keep your head up cause these things may take time. You have to work at it though, DO NOT rely on your school to find you a job, they are a joke.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!

Vin in Boston in Boston, Massachusetts

72 months ago

I am surprised that you have not found a job. I would think in CA there would be a lot of jobs. So many hospitals. There is always a need no matrter what. Where did you send your resume. I always send mind to H.r, Charge nurse of the O.r. I always get a response a lot faster by sending it to the charge nurse directly. What happens the charge nurse or director call and asks for me to come in, they kind of circumvent HR. If they like me I go back and go to HR just to do paperwork. If you wait for HR you will be waiting. The O.R is on a budget and not always they post the needs for a tech or nurse. They have to answer why is there a need and work out a budget for it, on the surface, but there is money for a FTE. Depending on the Hospital you can work any shift. There is always a need for 7-7 or a 11-11 shift. How far are you willing to drive? I nver ever waited for a job over a month even when I just quick that day.(only did that once, do not try that) My point is never depend on HR. Send it to the charge nurse operating room. Also send it where you did your clinical. It takes time but never a yr. You can always try Boston!! We have needs. I used to be a travel tech. It used to be 3yrs min but I just haf someone who had less than a yr. I thought Naseville had a few big hospitals, surprised you have not been hired.

rebecca allen in Beaverton, Oregon

70 months ago

I am checking out surgical tech schools in oregon and the only ones I have found are Concorde and mt hood, the cost difference of the 2 is crazy! Anyone know wbout either of these 2 programs? Appreciate any input!

Crystal in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

I went to Mt. Hood program. Its pretty intense, but the instructors won't send you out for clinicals unless you know what your doing. I went to every hospital in the Portland area to see how the Operating Room worked. We did 3 month rotations at each hospital.
This program is definatly longer than the Concorde program, but I think you are a lot more prepared for what you might get into working in surgery. If you have any more quesitons you can email me at cq00@yahoo.com

donbrx in New York, New York

70 months ago

Hey ... I'm in a program in NYC...but had been in Oregon before, and also checked out the Concorde program. I visited them, and they did sell it nicely....

However, from a few different sources, I've heard that those sorts of pro-vocational centers do in fact WAY overcharge and in once case an OR nurse said to avoid 'them' like the plague, that going to an established academic institution looks better when you graduate -- especially if you plan to work AWAY from the hospital you did your training in...meaning they won't know you at all. I'd find out in which hospital you'd do your clinical in at Concord first....then talk to someone at THAT hospital to see what they say about hiring the Concord students. It could be 'what you make of it' but, overall it seems to me that IF you have the extra year to spare at Mt Hood - the savings in money plus the credible education would be the tipping point in my decision. If local hospitals, however, tell you that Concord is good and they hire and love their students...and you want to do it in a year...sure.

Crystal in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

I can tell you that the hospitals in the Portland area prefer Mt Hood students both for clinicals and hiring. The Mt Hood program has been around for a long time and has been very consistant with the quality they put out of their program.

rebecca allen in Beaverton, Oregon

70 months ago

Thank you for responding.
I am at my wits end trying to find a program that isn't too far away or costs a fortune. $24 grand for a year seems ridiculous!
I will check out the one you suggested. I didn't realize you could do online schooling with the st.
Rebecca

Dana H in North Richland Hills, Texas

67 months ago

I am looking for an ST program here in the DFW area. I have visited Concord and Sanford-Brown. I am trying to go to school using the WIA program due to a recent lay off. Unfortunately I am running into a lot of red tape. WIA as it stands will only consider paying for TCC's program. The unfortuate thing about that is TCC only has 32 slots availible and usually have a lot of people applying. I have not been in school in 21 yrs and I not eligible to get myself higher on the enrollment list without recent college courses with a high GPA according to TCC. Therefore my chances of getting in there program are pretty slim. If I am going to pay for this myself I want to make sure I am going to a school with a good reputation. Does anyone out there have any experience with any of the ST programs in DFW?

sebastian in Sarasota, Florida

58 months ago

Hello,
I am thinking about going to study for Surgical Tech in Sarasota. Can you tell me if you found a job as Surgical Tech in Sarasota or surrounding are. Any info would be appriciated.
thank you
Sebastian

Jimmy in Sarasota, Florida said: Rebecca, I just moved from Nashville to Sarasota, Fl. I went to Miller-Motte for an AAS, but now, I am in a 11 month program that has 100% (pending on the student) in the hospitals. I am thinking of open heart, then maybe plastic ($$$). Have you found any luck with a school. Nashville State has a program, right? I tell you, I visited the Miller-Motte in Chattanooga and I was impressed (plus they have a cadaver you can work at). Do not be discouraged because if you stand out and show confidence in your externship (and class room from start to finish) you will be recognized. Call Mrs Holter at Miller-Motte in Clarksville and tell her James Grady refered you to ask her your concerns. She is really really candid and will steer you right! Good luck. My email: jamesdgrady@comcast.net Let me know how things go!!!!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.