Has anyone taken the certification test?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 136)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

staten in toms river, New Jersey

93 months ago

I am going to be taken the certification test soon, I dont know what book to get to study from, and I was wondering what kind of questions are on there. I know that there are many books out there, but I was wondering if the book even helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (278) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in New Baltimore, Michigan

80 months ago

Has anyone taken the practice tests that you can buy online when you schedule the exam? Just wondering if those questions are similar to the actual test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

I've been a CST/CFA FOR 25 YEARS. Each time I take the CST exam it's basically the same. Since the 80's ALL of the questions come word for word, sentence by sentence out of ALEXANDERS CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERY. Those study guide books are not worth it! I've had 2 in the past. Trust me, when you get through with the test and know what you missed, look it in ALEXANDERS, It's there as I said.

gOOD LUCK It's not easy for a new grad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cingy in Albany, Georgia

80 months ago

thanks for the information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cingy in Albany, Georgia

80 months ago

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been a CST/CFA FOR 25 YEARS. Each time I take the CST exam it's basically the same. Since the 80's ALL of the questions come word for word, sentence by sentence out of ALEXANDERS CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERY. Those study guide books are not worth it! I've had 2 in the past. Trust me, when you get through with the test and know what you missed, look it in ALEXANDERS, It's there as I said.

gOOD LUCK It's not easy for a new grad.

Is it the red book or the white hardcover book. Or what edition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pbasham in Columbia, South Carolina

80 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

Nicole Brown in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have taken the test also and failed it. It was very dicouraging for me,because I know the job but can't pass the test whats up with that? I have worked as a tech in a small hospital for 2 years and when I moved to a bigger city could not get a job because of me not being certified, I guess. I have decided to retake the test,is there a time limit to taking the test again? I am really thinking about giving it up and going to RN school, but I love the job!

you dont give up if you love your job, continue working as a tech and go to school to get your rn, you can still scrub as an rn, even be a travel scrub nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

79 months ago

I am taking my certification test on Dec 30th. I have already rescheduled it once so I cant do it again. I am absolutely terrified. It has a 66% FAIL rate. That's pretty high if you ask me. I have studied every book I own including my Alexander's and my anatomy books but it seems like there are always things you just wont know...God, I hope I pass. I will let you all know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia

79 months ago

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I am taking my certification test on Dec 30th. I have already rescheduled it once so I cant do it again. I am absolutely terrified. It has a 66% FAIL rate. That's pretty high if you ask me. I have studied every book I own including my Alexander's and my anatomy books but it seems like there are always things you just wont know...God, I hope I pass. I will let you all know how it goes.

IMHO, as I've stated above, the test is easy. I had no idea that there was a 66% fail rate. Something is way wrong with the ST programs out there if the failure rate is that high. Our graduating class had a 100% pass on the exam in '94 and when I took it again this past Spring, it was still a breeze and I'd been out of the work force for 6 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pbasham in Columbia, South Carolina

79 months ago

66% failure is alot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

79 months ago

I heard there were alot of anesthesia questions...like what drug would you give if THIS happened...etc. To me, this is STUPID since we will never ever do these things...I heard there are 6 different tests and one is very focused on anesthesia. Everyone who has had that test that I know has failed. If they ask general questions that a new tech should know, then I should be good. But if they start asking really specific questions about surgeries I havent done, I may be in trouble. Even though I have read all the surgeries in my books, sometimes it just doesnt make sense till you do it in person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Tulsa, OK

79 months ago

Ok, I finally rescheduled my CST test for Jan 12th. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am so ready to transfer from the depeartment I am in back into surgery. The hospital I work at makes sure that everyone is certified before working in surgery. I did take the pratice test online and missed 16 out of 175 questions. Now in saying that, my friend took the practice test the same day I did and missed a few more than I did, but she also took her CST test this past Wed. and she said that there were no questions off the practice test on the CST test. I think what the problem is that we go in thinking that we are going to have questions that we have been studying thru class. Well, i just wanted to stop in and say a little something. Wish me luck, i will let you guys know!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia

79 months ago

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I heard there were alot of anesthesia questions...like what drug would you give if THIS happened...etc. To me, this is STUPID since we will never ever do these things...I heard there are 6 different tests and one is very focused on anesthesia. Everyone who has had that test that I know has failed. If they ask general questions that a new tech should know, then I should be good. But if they start asking really specific questions about surgeries I haven't done, I may be in trouble. Even though I have read all the surgeries in my books, sometimes it just doesn't make sense till you do it in person.

I must have gotten this one for my last exam. A lot of dosage conversion questions, drug interaction, and general use questions, with a ton of CSR {basic stuff, stacking bowels, temps/times/ bio control} and micro questions/wound infections.

IMHO very few 'what instrument is this' questions and actual OTJ surgery/surgical knowledge. Of course a lot of the questions concerned draping and general surgical field questions.

Everyday, we are faced with cases that we really have no idea wth is going on except our intuition, past experiences and confidence to get us through. There are many times where a normal case goes from odd to deadly. The best advice I ever got was from our instructor when she said 'look good, stay calm...you can react later. And NEVER say to a surgeon "I've never done this case before". As a scrub, you need to understand and be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and his assistant. You need to understand sutures, instrumentation, counts, anatomy, nerves, major muscles, tendons, bones etc. You need a broad range of information to pass the test. There are a ton of questions that, even if you don't know the answer, you will be able to make an 'educated guess' by canceling out the obvious wrong answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melmon in Columbus, Ohio

79 months ago

I am getting ready to take the certification test and wondered if anyone knew what pertentage you had to get to pass? How many questions are on the test and how many do you have to get right? Do they tell you that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Albany, Georgia

79 months ago

200 ? are on the test. try looking under the AST webcite for more information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jordan in Albany, Georgia

78 months ago

Has anyone taken the certification test recently that could tell me some of the things i need to study. I know since october there has been a new test out. does anyone have some studying advice i could use, like what books to study from. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

78 months ago

jordan in Albany, Georgia said: Has anyone taken the certification test recently that could tell me some of the things i need to study. I know since october there has been a new test out. does anyone have some studying advice i could use, like what books to study from. Thanks!

I took it December 30th. Study the Alexander's book. That was really the most helpful. Unfortunately, they throw in such a variety of questions so just make sure you know every chapter. That is about the best advice I can give. The good news is that I passed so if you do that, you should be able to pass too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

78 months ago

Sarah Miller said: I took the Cert. exam June 4th 08, I missed it by 1 freaking point. I am retaking it in 2 weeks. There were a lot of positioning questions, KNOW YOUR MEDS, also your drains and which drain would be used for TURP. They used different names for positions, so you might look over your positions and names. I know sims was used a lot. I'm trying to think of any and everything! Booke is an articulated retractor, I am almost postive that question is what held me back. I had never used or seen that instrument and I went for something I knew, go figure! Well, good luck to us all CST...

You do know that when you take the test, you agree to not reveal any questions or anything that was on your test. I am pretty sure that if the right people saw this post they could keep you from sitting for the test again or if you have already taken it and passed, they could revoke your certification. Just be careful what you reveal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Tulsa, OK

78 months ago

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: You do know that when you take the test, you agree to not reveal any questions or anything that was on your test. I am pretty sure that if the right people saw this post they could keep you from sitting for the test again or if you have already taken it and passed, they could revoke your certification. Just be careful what you reveal.

So even if I don't quote Questons and just give areas to go towards to study is not ok. Well, I thought I had to give actual info off the test to get in trouble. Didn't know that! But since my last reply I took the test on Jan 12th and it blew me away! I honestly think that having the clinical experience that I had (which was awesome, we had wonderful teachers) is what really helped. So thank you to all of my teachers and preceptors...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bear101 in Seattle, Washington

77 months ago

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I took it December 30th. Study the Alexander's book. That was really the most helpful. Unfortunately, they throw in such a variety of questions so just make sure you know every chapter. That is about the best advice I can give. The good news is that I passed so if you do that, you should be able to pass too.

So, you guys who have taken the test in the last 3 months, did they change the format to fill-in or written, or is it still multiple choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

77 months ago

bear101 in Seattle, Washington said: So, you guys who have taken the test in the last 3 months, did they change the format to fill-in or written, or is it still multiple choice?

It was all multiple choice for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

geminibunny in Miami, Florida

77 months ago

I graduated in 2005 for surgical tech and sterile processing. I got a sterile processing job while still in school, and shortly after graduation, I landed a surgical technician position at the same hospital. Unfortunately, I did not take the certification test and it's now four years later. I still have all my books and notes and clinical performance sheets. I said all of that to say this....I have the Appleton and Lange 5th Edition. Is it any good? Let me know bcs I plan to take the exam sooner than later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

staten in toms river, New Jersey said: I am going to be taken the certification test soon, I dont know what book to get to study from, and I was wondering what kind of questions are on there. I know that there are many books out there, but I was wondering if the book even helps.

I am a certified surgical tech and renew my certification when necessary and found studying the surgical text given in class was adequate in helping me prepare for the test. I have found in reviewing every chapter and answering all the key questions in the front and back of these chapters has allowed me to successfully pass the test every time. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brendon in Salt Lake City, Utah

77 months ago

I have a surgical tech instructor position available in Salt Lake City, Utah if anyone is interested. Looking for a CST with some experience. Please email me at brendon@keymedstaffing.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anesa03 in Memphis, Tennessee

77 months ago

NYCST in Brooklyn, New York said: I recently took it and passed.

Hello want kind of material did you study for the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meloxi in Parsippany, New Jersey

76 months ago

Has anyone taken the NCCT certification exam? What materials did you use to prepare for that test? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Charleston, South Carolina

76 months ago

staten in toms river, New Jersey said: I am going to be taken the certification test soon, I dont know what book to get to study from, and I was wondering what kind of questions are on there. I know that there are many books out there, but I was wondering if the book even helps.

I study the newest book, i think it is the 7th add.
Mine had medication, a lot of crna meds, and common sense. Just Relax!
you will be fine!
know your instruments
know position
know calulation to meds, really simple, look back in pharm book for surgical tech
know catheters

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Charleston, South Carolina

76 months ago

melmon in Columbus, Ohio said: I am getting ready to take the certification test and wondered if anyone knew what pertentage you had to get to pass? How many questions are on the test and how many do you have to get right? Do they tell you that?

one more thing, you have to make 119 or higher to pass! u will have 200 questions
i made 132. good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

l.e.concorde, memphis, tn

76 months ago

I will be taking my test in 6 weeks and sooo nervous any good study tips i have been studying st 4 st, pharmacology,and a&p is this enough. Are there any specific areas i need to intrest myself. If anyone has any helpful tips or bits of knowledge, please help me out thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maatiauset in Jacksonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

meloxi in Parsippany, New Jersey said: Has anyone taken the NCCT certification exam? What materials did you use to prepare for that test? Thanks!

NCCT website has their own study material. www.ncctinc.com/OnlineStore/ProductDetails.aspx?cat=2&id=120 i was told that the people who wrote the study booklet writes the test, so not to get it confused with AST study material. ensure that you go to the NCCT website and double check by calling customer service. I bought the study book it is VERY basic. there are no explainations of the answers just multiple choice questions. I'm not sure if it matters which test we take and which credential is most desired by employers so you might want to investigate that as well. hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nodramahere in Hendersonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

Sarah in Tulsa, OK said: So even if I don't quote Questons and just give areas to go towards to study is not ok. Well, I thought I had to give actual info off the test to get in trouble. Didn't know that! But since my last reply I took the test on Jan 12th and it blew me away! I honestly think that having the clinical experience that I had (which was awesome, we had wonderful teachers) is what really helped. So thank you to all of my teachers and preceptors...

If that were actually true they couldn't publish books with the material we need. I hear there are 6 different concentration areas and 6 different versions of the test, don't know or care if its true, but all the info we need is in our text, Surgical Technology for the Surgical Technologist...the review books are a waste of time and money, even the one published by AST. Don't waste your money on the aides at all!!! The PAE was harder than our cert. test. The horror stories are nothing more than ploys to get you to spend more money, or to promote the profession as being more difficult than it really is. Most employers do not require certification, but that will soon change with all the BS legislation, but then that legislation MAY serve to lift pay scales for the job...there are two edges to every sword...if it all indeed pans out, which remains to be seen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nodramahere in Hendersonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

maatiauset in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: NCCT website has their own study material. www.ncctinc.com/OnlineStore/ProductDetails.aspx?cat=2&id=120 i was told that the people who wrote the study booklet writes the test, so not to get it confused with AST study material. ensure that you go to the NCCT website and double check by calling customer service. I bought the study book it is VERY basic. there are no explainations of the answers just multiple choice questions. I'm not sure if it matters which test we take and which credential is most desired by employers so you might want to investigate that as well. hope this helps.

I wouldn't waste my time with the NCCT...does anyone seriously think that the AST is going to let anyone require someone elses cert test but the AST one? Yes NCCT is cheaper but the AST won't let that stand in their way, they are the ones promoting the profession and doing all the work...the NCCT doesn't stand a chance. It will be legislation that the ONLY permitted cert test will be the one from AST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MaatiAuset in Jacksonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

oh I see. well thanks because I certainly did not want to waste any money if thats the case. I figured AST would be the safest route. I actually never heard of NCCT until I read the job description for Surgical Technician from the Department of Labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nodramahere in Hendersonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

MaatiAuset in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: oh I see. well thanks because I certainly did not want to waste any money if thats the case. I figured AST would be the safest route. I actually never heard of NCCT until I read the job description for Surgical Technician from the Department of Labor.

thats where i saw it too and was like...hmmm, much cheaper. its always about the money huh? its a shame too because this really is still a job anyone could do with the right apptitude and on-the-job training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nodramahere in Hendersonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

l.e.concorde, memphis, tn said: I will be taking my test in 6 weeks and sooo nervous any good study tips i have been studying st 4 st, pharmacology,and a&p is this enough. Are there any specific areas i need to intrest myself. If anyone has any helpful tips or bits of knowledge, please help me out thanks

your st and pharma books are most adequate to pass your test....GOOD LUCK!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MaatiAuset in Jacksonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

Im currently in the Navy and certification was never an issue. Now im about to get out and I am not certified and i'm sweating bricks!!! I do plan on taking the test but I do not want to have a difficult time trying to find a job in the meantime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nodramahere in Hendersonville, North Carolina

76 months ago

MaatiAuset in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Im currently in the Navy and certification was never an issue. Now im about to get out and I am not certified and i'm sweating bricks!!! I do plan on taking the test but I do not want to have a difficult time trying to find a job in the meantime.

its getting harder in NC to work without that cert. Most facilities give you time to get it, being military you should have no trouble at all my friend...they should welcome you without it and may never require you to get it...theres people scrubbing 15 yrs now and they dont have to have it...i'd check for a grandfather clause somewhere seeing as how you have documented experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

l.e.concorde, memphis, tn

76 months ago

thank you nodramahere, hopefully it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

talkofmiami in miami, Florida

64 months ago

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been a CST/CFA FOR 25 YEARS. Each time I take the CST exam it's basically the same. Since the 80's ALL of the questions come word for word, sentence by sentence out of ALEXANDERS CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERY. Those study guide books are not worth it! I've had 2 in the past. Trust me, when you get through with the test and know what you missed, look it in ALEXANDERS, It's there as I said.

gOOD LUCK It's not easy for a new grad.

if you can could you possibly go into detail as far as what does the exam focus on or what to study for... WHATS THE PASSING SCORE FOR THE EXAM ALSO I HAVE THE ALEXANDER'S CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERY BOOK... MY EMAIL IS KENNEDYKEVIN22@YAHOO.COM ANY INFORMATION IS APPRECIATED THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Thomas in Jackson, Tennessee

64 months ago

NYCST in Brooklyn, New York said: I recently took it and passed.

Hi! I am very nervous about taking the test can you give me a clue of what the test is like. I would appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

talkofmiami in miami, Florida

64 months ago

NYCST in Brooklyn, New York said: I recently took it and passed.

can u give me an idea of exactly what type of questions are on the surgical tech exam so i can get more of an idea of what to study for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Muddie in Raleigh, North Carolina

64 months ago

1) What is the correct way to take off your personal protective equipment?

2) Which on of these instruments is used to lift the periosteum?

3) What microorganism is reponsible for causing Creutzfeld-Jakob disease?

and so on...if you request a testing booklet, they have samples of the types of questions on the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

High_Tech in Santee, California

64 months ago

Elizabeth in Houston, Texas said: I have been a ST for 10 years...yes 10 years....and I'm just now studying for the exam. Not because I was ever asked to or made to. In those 10 years, I've also worked as a traveler. I currently work in Organ Procurement and the ONLY reason I'm taking this exam is from the encouragement of my surgeons to move forward to being an FA. The program(which was accredited..always make sure of that!) I attended cost me $1800 for 10 months. I'm using Appleton and I feel confident.

Wow,
I was an Operating Room Technician in 1988, the program cost me 8 years in the Navy. It was pretty resonable IMHO. Currently I work in San Diego, CA. I have never had a problem getting a job that I wanted, I've never been certified, but I have alot of experience.

I've noticed alot of folks are having problems with the AST exam, mainly because, AST feels like we need to know all the drugs that the Anesthesiologists knows, Seriously AST needs to get their heads out of their a**** and realize that there are maybe 10 drugs that we really need to worry about and the rest are kinda null. Nurses give them to us, we check expiration , we then tell the doctor we have it, we repeat it to him, he takes it and does with it what he will, we report back to the nurse the amt given. DONE!
The other thing I love is some of these Instruments that they come up with and what they are used for. Gimmie a break. Theres basic instruments and until you get into a specialty, you wont use any weird ones and when you do you will learn them. Otis Elevator, nuff said!! rant off!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cdollie in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

Hi, So my undrstanding is what has been said about a great study guide the ALEXANDERS CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERYs book... Which one though?

Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

STBOUND in Irving, Texas

63 months ago

staten in toms river, New Jersey said: I am going to be taken the certification test soon, I dont know what book to get to study from, and I was wondering what kind of questions are on there. I know that there are many books out there, but I was wondering if the book even helps.

go to ncct website and order the book, its 200 questions on the test. its kind of hard so you really need to study that pre-exam book before you test. some real hard questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

STBOUND in Irving, Texas

63 months ago

hey go to ncct website and order the study guide book, the test is hard just to let you know, there was questions on it that we didnt learn in class, I passed on my first try, just study and you will be okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

STBOUND in Irving, Texas

63 months ago

let me go to my car and get the study guide book for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

STBOUND in Irving, Texas

63 months ago

Cdollie in Houston, Texas said: Hi, So my undrstanding is what has been said about a great study guide the ALEXANDERS CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERYs book... Which one though?

Thx

there is some anatomy on the test, prefix and suffixes, aseptic technique as well as ortho. make sure you know about sterile techniques, perioperative and postoperative. there is no pictures of identifying instrumentation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

STBOUND in Irving, Texas

63 months ago

the book you need to study on is ncct tech in surgery review book. its 55.00 to order one. you can order it over nite for 15.00 rush delivery

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cdollie in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

STBOUND in Irving, Texas said: the book you need to study on is ncct tech in surgery review book. its 55.00 to order one. you can order it over nite for 15.00 rush delivery

So you are saying this NCCT book helped you pass the AST certification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.