IS IT BETTER TO OBTAIN AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE AS A SURGICAL TECH RATHER THAN A DIPLOMA, OR DOES IT NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE??????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

grossd62 in Baltimore, Maryland

33 months ago

Hello everyone, I am a 22 year old male about to go back to school to be a surgical tech. I am going for the associates degree, but I notice that there are a lot of programs that offer it as just a diploma. I was wondering should I save time and go for the diploma, or should I go to college and get the associates degree. What would be the difference????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

reka in Columbus, Georgia

33 months ago

No it doesn't matter. Associates degree vs diploma still make the same amount of money. What matters the most is being certified, which could increase your pay. I would only recommend going for the associates degree if you plan on furthering your education beyond a Surgical Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bran556677 in Sunderland, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Associate degree and certificate programs offer the same pay. If you want to go back to school later on it might be better to have an associates degree. I went through a certificate program and make the same as my associate degree peers. You learn most of your skills on the job after you graduate.

Either way, it is a very rewarding career and I love getting up every day for my job. I was employed by a level one trauma center right out of school and have some of the best experience anyone could ask for. It is well worth the short amount of time you spend in school. Just think positive and get through school, and apply at every place that is hiring in every state when you graduate. Some hospitals may want an "experienced tech" but someone will grab you up. No one wants to hire someone that hasn't worked for several months after graduation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Same Thing in Wesley Chapel, Florida

26 months ago

I agree there isn't usually a pay difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.