New Grad looking for work ASAP

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

worried in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

How long should it take for you to find work as a surg tech? I've been looking and sending out my resume and nothing happening. When I was doing my clinicals the hospital was cross training RN for scrub roles. Are surgical tech being phased out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia

61 months ago

I just completed st program and I everyway I applied for looking for more exprience. So, try to gain much experience as you can.
Are you certified yet and if so try looking for a entry level positions. Volunteer to gain more experience. Good Lucky!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia

61 months ago

worried in Chicago, Illinois said: How long should it take for you to find work as a surg tech? I've been looking and sending out my resume and nothing happening. When I was doing my clinicals the hospital was cross training RN for scrub roles. Are surgical tech being phased out.

NO it just they are trying save money. Alot of nurses dont like scrubbing in. And that is a backup plan. Just in case short of staff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MinhYên in Oakland, California

61 months ago

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia said: I just completed st program and I everyway I applied for looking for more exprience. So, try to gain much experience as you can.
Are you certified yet and if so try looking for a entry level positions. Volunteer to gain more experience. Good Lucky!

Can you please show me how to ask for volunteering in surgical field? Will the hospital allow us to work with surgical instruments right away?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in los angeles

61 months ago

I just finished my externship in may and I been looking for work also but no luck...But I have started volunteering at the hospital where I did my externship at....I volunteer in central with the instruments but won't allow me in the OR scrubbed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia

61 months ago

MinhYên in Oakland, California said: Can you please show me how to ask for volunteering in surgical field? Will the hospital allow us to work with surgical instruments right away?

go to school ask them? surgical centers. It hard I graduated with a 4.0 but the dont many nothing. I even start looking other positions in the hospital. So i can work my way up.This makes me mad, because these schools we went to help us gain that experience we need to because a surgical. The know this. you are going have get out there and network. It also have to deal with who you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: go to school ask them? surgical centers. It hard I graduated with a 4.0 but that dont many nothing. I even start looking other positions in the hospital. So i can work my way up.This makes me mad, because these schools we went to isnt help us gain that experience we need to get a job. They know this. you are going have get out there and network. It also have to deal with who you know.
made some corrections

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

MinhYên in Oakland, California said: Then you can't get experience as the hospital requires, can you?
I will be officially in the program next Summer. However, what you tells me really worries me. I don't know whether the recession is over before I graduate. If it isn't, I'm gonna be unemployed.

nothing to do with recession. Lack of experience. start lookin for entry level positions,make sure every surgical center in our area have your resume.

MinhYên in Oakland, California

61 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: I havent find a job so im networking, trying volunteer, went back to my school told i need more training. Applied for other jobs in the hospital. its hard. just keep on trying thinking about relocated.

Is the school you train a public school? It seems like graduates from a technical or vocational college have more difficult time to find a job than ones from community colleges or universities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

61 months ago

I remember when I was still looking for a job as an ST (I'm not anymore) they were always trying to knock my posts about the folly of people going into the ST field , they speak as if you try hard you will get a job as an ST as a new grad - almost no one is , actually you have a better chance of winning american idol.....
Its ok if you don't believe me , and I'll say right up front...most of the accredited schools DO A GOOD JOB of preparing the students to do the work of an ST..its not their fault people are not getting hired - there are no jobs, so many that even good ST's with years of experience are not finding jobs -
I am going to repeat what I was saying before in my posts - IF YOU ARE considering going to an ST school before you sign away 16 months of your life , your dreams and get $25k in debt...DO YOUR HOMEWORK and talk to hospitals , HR depts , surgery centers , private surgeons etc. and ask them if they will hire a new grad , if they have hired any new grads and when was the last time they hired a new grad as an ST - they will tell you right up front ... not to pursue this field !!!! If anything they will tell you to become an RN if you want a chance to get a job - NOT an ST , not an ultrasound tech , not a phlembotomist none of the allied positions have openings for new grads - Again, I apologize to you people affiliated with the schools and the AST... but I'm trying to protect the innocent people that have been misinformed about the hiring prospects for the allied health occupations - it has caused grief and misery to countless people over the last year or two - Do your homework - don't believe the schools - ask the employers FIRST before you take the expensive and possibly regretful decision to enroll ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

The stats : the last 2 classes from my ST school since oct. 2008 - 16 graduates.
the last 2 classes from another school here in orange county ca - 16 graduates.
BOTH schools are accredited.
Number of these new graduates working in ANY ST position : 0
Number of these graduates that worked full time for at least 4 months trying to find a ST job (or even SPD):32
Number of these new graduates that Networked , offered to volunteer , put out a hundred or more resumes , have great recommendation letters from surgeons and their extern sites , offered to work at ANY hospital or surgical center position just to get their "foot in the door" , went to every surgical center and HR department for the area hospital to torment the employers to give them a chance:
ALL OF THEM
number of them at least $25k in debt , number of them that spent 16 months of their lives training to do a career they dreamed about : ALL OF THEM
mistake they made : didn't talk to the possible employers Before they enrolled in a school : ALL OF THEM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

no.now i wish would have to a traditional college,but now im about to go to school for nursing.I havent gave up yet . I also my cna so im trying get in that way . work my way up to surgical tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Kim in los angeles said: I just finished my externship in may and I been looking for work also but no luck...But I have started volunteering at the hospital where I did my externship at....I volunteer in central with the instruments but won't allow me in the OR scrubbed

hang in there . start applying for jobs in the hospital. I havent gave up. but you know its alot you have to remember as a surgical tech. you will know those instruments. I havent seen no instruments since i completed my extern

shirley in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

first of all are you certified? did you attend an accredited surgical tech program? These are 2 important points in obtaining a position as a surgical technologist. there are bills out across the united states (alot of them has already passed) to regulate the surgical technologist profession. If you did attend an acredited program and is certified, you should go to wwww.ast.org and read and join the association of surgical technologists. There you will find contacts all over the united states, along with ads for surgical technologists, some offering positions to new grads. You can also attend some of the conference/meetings to network. It will take some foot work to obtain a position, but there are a lot of positions available, you have to look everywhere and use every contact. Believe me, the AST is best place to network. At the conferences, there are always hostpitals and an other companies there hiring surgical technologists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

new student in Pacoima, California

60 months ago

a couple of new grads that i meet at school are going to graduate in 2 weeks and they got job straight out of clinicals. they range from 21-25 dollars p/hr (thats at concorde in north hoolywood)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I believe that.

zaam74 in Des Plaines, Illinois

60 months ago

We are looking to hire several Surgical Techs in the Midwest territory for selling medical products to the hospitals and the surgical centers. If interested, please email me your resume. maaz@ussurgitech.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

larasinfo in Vacaville, California

59 months ago

Kim in los angeles said: I just finished my externship in may and I been looking for work also but no luck...But I have started volunteering at the hospital where I did my externship at....I volunteer in central with the instruments but won't allow me in the OR scrubbed

Hello kim i recently when to school for sterile processing . but i cant find a place that will let me volunteer or do an externship for that position. where do i look or go? im so frustrated cause i payed alot of money for this training but nobody will take me cause of lack of experience.
thank you, Lara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alcoa in greenville, South Carolina

59 months ago

go to kbr.com

new student in Pacoima, California

59 months ago

kbr is for oilfield workers, i worked for halliburton for 14 yrs they dont hire anybody in the medical field...... kbr use to be a sister company of halliburton ........

pamschroeder3@yahoo.com in Queen Creek, Arizona

59 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: no.now i wish would have to a traditional college,but now im about to go to school for nursing.I havent gave up yet . I also my cna so im trying get in that way . work my way up to surgical tech.

You'd be better off going to school for RN than a surgical tech.. I've been looking for work since 2008 I can't find a surgical tech job. they want 1-3 yrs experience, and certification... How can a new surgical tech get HIRED ???????

pamschroeder3@yahoo.com in Queen Creek, Arizona

59 months ago

new student in Pacoima, California said: a couple of new grads that i meet at school are going to graduate in 2 weeks and they got job straight out of clinicals. they range from 21-25 dollars p/hr (thats at concorde in north hoolywood)

WOW!!! glad that your friends got jobs.... They got very very lucky...

59 months ago

If you believe they got jobs as new grads you probably believe in the easter bunny too......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

pamschroeder3@yahoo.com in Queen Creek, Arizona said: You'd be better off going to school for RN than a surgical tech.. I've been looking for work since 2008 I can't find a surgical tech job. they want 1-3 yrs experience, and certification... How can a new surgical tech get HIRED ???????

Get certified and network at the Surgical Tech Meetings (Regional, State, and National).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

floridamom in Boca Raton, Florida

57 months ago

This is really scary. I have been looking for a job almost a year. I've tried clinics, hospitals, private offices that perform surgery. NO LUCK! It's scary. What does Obama say? "Mother's return to school". I did... I am a single mom that I went back to school, paid $25,000 for the school. I did my externship and was even told by a medical agency that there are no surgical tech jobs. The schools mislead you and tell you that there is so many jobs available. Where????? I read so many blogs similar to my story.

57 months ago

MinhYên in Oakland, California said: Can you please show me how to ask for volunteering in surgical field? Will the hospital allow us to work with surgical instruments right away?

I am sorry every1 believe they are being miss lead by programs offering surgical technology. However; some of that is true, meaning you have to be very careful when selecting a surgicial Technology Program. First, the program itself, not the school, has to be accredited. Secondly, when doing your clinical, talk to the surgical technologists who are employed at your clinical site and find out who is the most outstanding and respected Surgical Tech. and ask her/him for advice on being hired at that site. If there is not surgical tech positions, apply for anything that will get your feet in the door. Most places hire from within, even when there is a hiring freeze, if you are already there, you can transfer. You can apply for several positions in the hospital, clerk, spd (instrument room), nursing assistant, transportation, housekeeping and food court. I know this is not much help, but the surgical technology program has being flooded. Hold your peace, and be patience, the baby boomers are in retirement stag. I may also suggest, setting your sites on two or three medical facilities, get the director's or nurse manager's full name and title, send a resume to them and the human resource office, then at least every three weeks, send a post card (plain--get from post office) simply state your are still interested in a surgical technology position with (the name of the hospital). Give contact information, and sign. Remember, not too much, they will lose interest, just one or two lines. Hope this help someone.

woods in North Las Vegas, Nevada

52 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: no.now i wish would have to a traditional college,but now im about to go to school for nursing.I havent gave up yet . I also my cna so im trying get in that way . work my way up to surgical tech.

that is the only way to do it cause i have been a cna for 19 yrs gratuated from high tech 3yrs ago and the job that i found in a hospital is just now givivng me a chance to come and scrub dont give up keep looking but use your cna license to your advantage

J in Theodore, Alabama

38 months ago

I hope that you have all found positions by now. Try local colleges who have ST programs. If you are CST with NBSTSA, that may be an option. Virginia College in Mobile is searching for a part time instructor as of June 2011.

mynhii in Oakland, California

38 months ago

J in Theodore, Alabama said: I hope that you have all found positions by now. Try local colleges who have ST programs. If you are CST with NBSTSA, that may be an option. Virginia College in Mobile is searching for a part time instructor as of June 2011.

So you found a surgical technician job based on your nursing assistant experience, didn't you? That's so great. I'm studying certified nursing assistant at Castro Valley Adult School, CA.

My main career objective is to become a surgical technician/technologist.

Can you please share with me how you found time for clinical practice when you had your cna job under your belt? How did you arrange your shifts to have time for your surgical practice? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ds7476 in Conroe, Texas

38 months ago

I enrolled in a ST program at a Technical school and graduated in April 2011. I was repeatedly told, that all I had to do was pass my certification and I would get a job. Well in May 2011, I passed my certification and I submitted over 60 resumes to hospitals and surgery centers in Houston, TX and did not get one call back. Due to a mistake on a job posting and an HR person who wasn't thorough, I managed to get an interview for a job located 3 hours away. I ended up getting the job, but the lady said she was really looking for someone with 2 years experience, and just based off my resume she wouldn't have interviewed me, but she liked how I interviewed in person, so she decided to give me a chance. So I feel fortunate that it only took 2 months to secure a job, but if I had to do it all over again I would have just done nursing. Good luck to those still searching for work.

bri in Houston, Texas

34 months ago

My best advice would tell every one is to 1) take the ST program at your local community college vs a private medical school. Paying over 20,000 is too much, when you can get better education at a cheaper price at a community college. 2) volunteer at any willing hospital /surgery center to gain more hands on experience. Sometimes just completing your externship isn't enough. If you aren't certified, please do. Most places do only hired certified individuals.

I completed the sterile processing tech at medvance (now fortis) in October 2010 and I'm just now got employed in the field. I wished that I never went to that school, they fed me and many others empty promises about how demanding the field is. Since finishing the program, I went on 1 interview, got certified and then went on 3 more interviews before I finally got hired. And from my take, these hospitals really want you to have experience, at least 6 months worth.
To my fellow ST friends, if you can't get a job being a surgical tech, try to apply for sterile processing positions. A lot of hospitals do have ST working as SPT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nyc_chic in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: I havent find a job so im networking, trying volunteer, went back to my school told i need more training. Applied for other jobs in the hospital . its hard. just keep on trying thinking about relocated.

Hey! I was just reading your comments. I'm finishing up my clinicals too. Have you found a job yet?

charlotta in Wartburg, Tennessee

24 months ago

I became a cst 8 year's ago still not found a job

Guadalupe Rodriguez in South Gate, California

7 months ago

I'm 20, I've been certified for about 6-7 months already and had absolutely no luck finding a job. Where is a good place to start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.