OB Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 150)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Lee in Decatur, Georgia

82 months ago

I am a Surical Tech graduating in 3 weeks. I have my last interview with a local hospital this week. I applied for a surgical tech position in the main or but they are pushing me towards a PRN labor and delivery position (scrbbing c-seactions). I am scared to take it because I do not want to loose my other skills. Are there any other Surgical Techs that do this kind of work? Please help.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Luci in Los Angeles, California

82 months ago

i think you should take it. it's a start and you'll have some experience. it's better than nothing. you won't forget everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Decatur, Georgia

82 months ago

Thanks for the advice. At least it will get me in the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Appleton, Wisconsin

82 months ago

Lee in Decatur, Georgia said: I am a Surical Tech graduating in 3 weeks. I have my last interview with a local hospital this week. I applied for a surgical tech position in the main or but they are pushing me towards a PRN labor and delivery position (scrbbing c-seactions). I am scared to take it because I do not want to loose my other skills. Are there any other Surgical Techs that do this kind of work? Please help.

Thanks!

You should take the job in OB. It's a chance to get your foot in the door. Most hospitals post their jobs internally first, meaning they would hire you for a Main OR position before they would hire someone from the outside, when the position presents it's self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

julie in Wichita Falls, Texas

78 months ago

i graduated last august, and since then i worked in labor and delivery. while it is rewarding, i know my heart is in surgery and i am longing to do more cases. i am transferring to surgery next week, and i have realized that after only 8 months, i have forgotten sooo much of what i learned in school. i might have replied to you too late, but if you have the chance go ahead and take the surgery job. chances are you'll want to switch after awhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roxanne in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

what kind of school is needed for ob-tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

LaShauntae Horton in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

78 months ago

Lee in Decatur, Georgia said: I am a Surical Tech graduating in 3 weeks. I have my last interview with a local hospital this week. I applied for a surgical tech position in the main or but they are pushing me towards a PRN labor and delivery position (scrbbing c-seactions). I am scared to take it because I do not want to loose my other skills. Are there any other Surgical Techs that do this kind of work? Please help.

Thanks!

Hi my name is Lashauntae Horton I graduate from Virginia College in Jackson and I plan on moving to Atlanta, GA I wonder know is they still hiring where u at.
Thanks,
Lashauntae Horton
e-mail address#lashauntaehorton1@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roxanne in Fresno, California

78 months ago

well i work at a hospital in california and i know the hospital i work for wont even hire anyone without sumkind of hospital or exp so i would take it and keep looking for a surgical position but bat lease you have your foot in the door

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chelsea30 in Riverdale, Illinois

78 months ago

Do not take the Ob Tech job what alot of new grads fail to realize is most of your time will be spent doing certified nursing assistant work there will not be alot of c-sections most labor and delivery units opt for normal deliveries and yes you will loose your skills as an ob tech and most labor and delivery units do not operate the same way they do in the main OR most of your time will be spent doing patient care which is not what you went to school for and most hospitals even if your an internal employee still require you to have a year experience in a variety of surgical procedures not a year doing C-Sections,because what do you have to offer the doctors with only knowledge of a C-section trust me I have done OB tech as an Surgical Tech and It took me now where most of my time was spent doing patient care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer E. in Middleburg, Virginia

78 months ago

Chelsea in Des Plaines, Illinois said: Do not take the Ob Tech job what alot of new grads fail to realize is most of your time will be spent doing certified nursing assistant work there will not be alot of c-sections most labor and delivery units opt for normal deliveries and yes you will loose your skills as an ob tech and most labor and delivery units do not operate the same way they do in the main OR most of your time will be spent doing patient care which is not what you went to school for and most hospitals even if your an internal employee still require you to have a year experience in a variety of surgical procedures not a year doing C-Sections,because what do you have to offer the doctors with only knowledge of a C-section trust me I have done OB tech as an Surgical Tech and It took me now where most of my time was spent doing patient care.

I'm going to agree with you on this. When I first graduated from school, the hospital where I trained only had 2 OR positions and 1 on OB. There were 9 of us graduating and I grabbed the OB position because I wanted to get my foot in the door. OB drained my skills to say the least and I had a very hard time finding a hospital that was willing to hire a CST with only experience on OB. While on OB I ended up spending most of my time doing patient care, changing bed linens etc.

I finally got a job working in a hospital that only had 2 ORs and one endo room. Thankfully, I was able to gain enough experience there and then moved down to VA and got a job at a very large hospital that was also a Level 1 trauma center. It is better to skip OB and get a job that you really want, instead of getting stuck in a position where you won't be happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in San Luis Obispo, California

77 months ago

HI,

Just to let you know an OB tech is not the same thing as a Surgical Tech in Labor and Delivery. An OB Tech is trained only to scrub C-sections and does not have the school, backround or training as a Surgical Tech in Labor and Delivery. Yes as a Surgical Tech in Labor and Delivery we may have other duties because it is not as busy as the main, but I have been a Surgical Tech for Labor and Delivery traveler and permanent for 5 out of my seven years. I still get paid as a Surgical Tech. Please dont misunderstand me thougg OB techs work just as hard as we do, only without the credentials. I am from the east coast, NY. The hospitals I worked at in D.C.,, Florida and Virginia you had to be a Certified Surgical Tech or a Tech studying for your boards to scrub in any department including Labor and Delivery. I didn't know there was an OB tech until I started to travel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in San Luis Obispo, California

77 months ago

roxanne in Denver, Colorado said: what kind of school is needed for ob-tech

Im sorry to answer your question, To be an OB tech I think you can actually get on the job training. Not 100% sure

chelsea30 in Riverdale, Illinois

77 months ago

Yes, it is true that an ob technician does alot, alot of stocking, patient care, adls,with moms who just delivered, vital signs, intake & output,etc mostly everything a certified nursing assistant does, however my point is as a surgical tech your skills are not being utilize and yes that is an on the job training position. I guess thats why in IL which is the state I live in a surgical tech will get paid as an ob tech. Your lucky to have a traveling ob tech job how did you happen to come upon that can you help me with any info.

Connie in Richmond, Virginia

76 months ago

Take the OB technician for now and just keep looking for positions as a surgical tech in the main or or ambulatory, eventually you will get a position in the main or if that is where your heart is at but some people "want" to work in labor & delivery and do not mind doing patient care, so basically it's about what you want to do.

Marie in Haines City, Florida

76 months ago

Thanks!

I did the same thing that you are about to do. I worked in Labor and Delivery for almost 3 years. I missed the main OR but its a chance that you have to take. It gets you a job in the hospital and you will gain lots of experience. I have been working in the main OR now for about a year and I actually miss labor and delivery. You will love your job as an OB tech. Dont worry maybe soon after you start working in L&D you land a job in the Main OR. GOOD LUCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yolunda in Augusta, Georgia

76 months ago

Thanks!

I have been an OB Tech for over a year now. I had a horrible time finding a job after graduating from ST school. I was told over and over that i didn't have enough experience. I was fortunate to be given a job as an OB Tech. I now have the skills and experience needed to get any ST position I apply for. You will not loose any skills but gain much needed experience to move forward. After a year you will have enough experience to move on to the main OR, they will orient you and go over the intstrument commonly used and so on. While you are an OB tech you will get to know the doctors and their likes and dislike during surgery and will be able to do some networking. I think its a great chance to get your foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gloria Zuniga in Harlingen, Texas

75 months ago

Hello, I agree with all of you. I am currently working in Labor & Delivery and I absolutely love it! I have now been offered a spot in Women's Care OR and I have recently accepted. I am a bit scared since I have forgotten some of my skills, I always thought I made a bad decision in accepting my Ob tech job since what I studied for wasn't really being practiced in L&D. We do work different than the techs in OR, but I have been working in l&d for 9mo now and I feel I at least got a foot in and now, God willingly I will be transferring over to WCOR. I hate to leave L&d since my staff really grew on me, but what I believe I benefited is that at least I have gotten to know the OB/GYN doctors a little more which in the long run it is going to facilitate my transfer. These doctors know me and feel I am a potential employee. So my advice is take is take advantage of what is being offered to you and gain some experience to be able to prepare your self for what can be ahead. Have patience like I did and the opportunities will come to you. Training/orientation will be given to you once you have transferred into the OR. So don't worry too much, but don't stay too long in l&d if your heart is still with OR. Keep looking while you're in L&d and just learn a lot and gain that knowledge and experience. Ok well that's it for me, wish me GOOD LUCK as I transfer to WCOR, as I also wish you all the GOOD LUCK in the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

kendra in Roseville, California

74 months ago

Thanks!

I am in the exact same situation and I start tommorrow Il l tell you how it goes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

Sorry I took so long to reply. When I was finished with school I knew I wanted to travel so I contacted all ot the travel companies I knew of and registered with them so when I was ready to travel I could just start. They say you need abaout 1 year experience. I had about 8 months and I was able to travel. I have been traveling as a Surgical Tech for about 5 years now. I stayed in Labor and Delivery because the opportunities were there. If you can find a good hospital to work for as a Surgical Technologist in Labor and Delivery then it is worth it to stay. Just keep in mind that they should be paying you as a Surgical Technologist not an OB Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice in Pascagoula, Mississippi

74 months ago

What company have you been traveling with?

d in Orlando, Florida

74 months ago

Thanks!

I graduated 16 years ago as a surgical tech, I started my career in Labor and delivery as a surg tech and have been doing this ever since. I would never recommend a surg tech staying in Labor and delivery, you will lose your skills, successful surg. techs work main o.r.

Kim in Marietta, Georgia

74 months ago

d in Orlando, Florida said: I graduated 16 years ago as a surgical tech, I started my career in Labor and delivery as a surg tech and have been doing this ever since. I would never recommend a surg tech staying in Labor and delivery, you will lose your skills, successful surg. techs work main o.r.

I live in Atlanta and am thinking about going into this field and I reaaaaaallly need some advice from someone in the field.. and you have done this for 16 years so you look like the best person to ask. First of all, I want to find a part time, and or weekend position.. is that possible in this field. Also, can you tell me about your daily rountines? What kind of salary growth is there? Ive heard that CST make about 15$ on average, is that right? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.. I just want to be sure that this is what I want to do. Im in my 30s and have a family and wanting to change careers. Thanks:)

Kelly in Inwood, West Virginia

74 months ago

Thanks!

Lee,
I am looking for an OB Tech job - it is something that I really want to do. I got the OB Bug when I did my L&D rotation with school. My problem is that these type of positions are very few and far between. I did not like the main OR. I would say - take the job so that you get your foot in the door and then keep scanning the job postings. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Portland, Oregon

73 months ago

i have been an ob tech for about 5 years in california, i moved out to oregon about 2 years, i loved being an ob tech, i work at a busy hospital almost 300 del a mo both vag and c/s, yes it is a foot in the door, and you do get experience, i now work in the main or and it is a whole different ball game, and of course if they need a surgical tech, fresh out of school, sometimes they would love to train you the way they like, so dont give up you will enjoy your job as a surgical tech, ob tech and they dont always change bedding that is what cna's do not surgical tech / ob techs it all depends on where you go, if they have house keepers, cna's but it is a job that will be a get job for the rest of your life and you can learn so much and just maybe youll go on and get your rn and work in the main or as a scrub rn, second assist, or even a or rn.

ob tech in Orlando, Florida

73 months ago

Thanks!

Yes I graduated as a scrub tech 16 years ago and took my first job in Labor and delivery! I have only done L&D and would NOT suggest you do it. Once you stay in L&D you pretty much can not go anywhere unless the facility is willing to train you!!! Go to a main O.R.

Rosie Victor in West Palm Beach, Florida

73 months ago

Hi, I am currently working at the VA medical center in West Palm Beach and want to work in the private sector, but very skeptical. I know there is job sercurity here, what should I do ? PS,I am very interested in traveling.

Jane in El Monte, California

73 months ago

Hi,
I am a Surgical Tech now traveling in L&D. I havent worked for the VA personally but I have a relative that does and she says it is a pretty good job. If you want to relocate somewhere else I would see if they can just transfer you to the VA hospital in that area but I wouldnt leave there.

Rosie Victor in West Palm Beach, Florida

73 months ago

I feel like my srubbing abilites here are limited, and want to experience traveling as a scrub tech. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages that you have experiences in traveling. If possiable, I would like to transfer and take some local assignments.

terri moorer in Encino, California

73 months ago

how do i start being a traveling surgical tech i have sign up with about 3 companies but no one has found anything for me yet, how long did it take to start traveling i have a year and a half exp. In a trauma hospital

kaisertech in Windermere, Florida

73 months ago

Keep calling them. A lot of times they handle so many people they may have forgotten about you. In the meantime you might want to be working somewhere prn until you get your assignment.

kaisertech in Windermere, Florida

73 months ago

Always get your foot in the door.

Tamara1980 in los angeles, California

73 months ago

I am a licensed Aesthetician, have worked in medical spas for about 7 years. I love it, but have maxxed out at about $20 an hour. I was wondering about nursing and surgical techs. I want to work for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. What are the roles and duties of a surgical tech, how much do they make and how is the schooling and exams? I have 40 units completed at a junior college, general ed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Woodstock, Virginia

73 months ago

I am a surgical tech that has recently moved from FL to VA and desperately in need of work. I have about 1 yr. of experience and just can't seem to get my foot in the door any where. Any advice from anyone?

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in North Augusta, South Carolina

72 months ago

Try applying to staffing agency who employ nurses, techs etc. for hospitals in your area. You would work on an as need basis BUT you can get your foot in the door by working at the hospitals the agencies send you to.

Hope this helps!

Deb

Savanda in Kyle, Texas

72 months ago

I have been working L/D for the past 8 yrs and prn at a surgical center. I am looking to travel to one place-Oxnard, CA. Is this possible? It's for my kids to see their grandparents/family more often. For the travelers, where do I start? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

Just start with applying at least 5 travel companies. That way you have more than one company looking out for you.

Try these - RN Demand - Carlos Watson
On Assignment - Anita
Advantage RN - Mylinh
Trustaff - Sabrina
Procel Nurses - Melissa or Stephany

Make sure you let them know I refered you and they will in turn take good care of you.

Deb Freeman

Savanda in Kyle, Texas

72 months ago

Thanks for responding Deb. After talking with my husband, we plan to make a permanent move. I'll be looking for work in Southern Ca.

LaTanya Card in Macon, Georgia

71 months ago

I have been done with school for over two months and certified and I cannot find a job. Either they want more experience or just wont call for an interview. I have an orthopedic tech degree and an associates. I have work for a hospital for 4 years and quit to finish school and now i am screwed I have two kids what can I do I am afarid

Christine in Richmond, Virginia

71 months ago

I Know you are probably burnt out with school right now but you should go back to school to become a scrub nurse....nursing is in demand, it is hard to find a job as a surgical tech. I was fortunate to get a job right out of school but I got a job as an OB Tech and I am not happy. A lot of my classmates are still looking for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cliff in Portland, Oregon

71 months ago

Thanks!

Take the Job and apply to all inhouse positions. The single greatiest Mistake new people make is to hold out for the perfect Job! It does not exist. Get your foot in the door then work towards the dream Job you want

With so Many people comming out of school and so few positions availiable it is very hard to get a Job Much less the One you really want.

Here is an example

I am a Retired Nurse

My Daughter graduated from a Surge Tech School in Pensacola Florisda which has a number of Major Hospitals, It also has a large schoolof Nursing but it is a community which is in a Negative growth Market and the Majority of Graduates who do graduate cant find a Local Job.

It is a pitty and shame they spend all that time in school to learn a skill only to discover that they have to leave the area to find real work most likely.

A Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush any day of the week.....

Becca

71 months ago

Jane in El Monte, California said: Hi,
I am a Surgical Tech now traveling in L&D. I havent worked for the VA personally but I have a relative that does and she says it is a pretty good job. If you want to relocate somewhere else I would see if they can just transfer you to the VA hospital in that area but I wouldnt leave there.

Hello. I am very interested in L&D traveling. Where would you recommend starting this process. Completely clueless about the whole traveling thing. Thanks.

darlenedawn in Lafayette, Indiana

71 months ago

roxanne in Denver, Colorado said: what kind of school is needed for ob-tech

I would like to know the same thing. I am wanting to start the schooling I need for this but am not finding much. Where do you do the schooling? Is it just a class/short course? On the job training? Do I have to be going to nursing school to get my nursing license to do this? So many questions so few answers. Please someone advise. Thanks so much!!

Stephanie in Colorado Springs, Colorado

70 months ago

Thanks!

Yes,I work at a Birth Center in a Big hospital in Colorado Springs. You will loose your other skills because all you scrub for is c-sections. It's a really great job, but you will do other things like stocking rooms and preparing charts and putting orders in. If you do not want to specialize in a particular field then you should work in the main OR of a hospital or surgery center. I like specialing in a particular field because you will be great at what you do, but the variety of surgeries is not there!

buckys in Gainesville, Florida

70 months ago

Rosie Victor in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Hi, I am currently working at the VA medical center in West Palm Beach and want to work in the private sector, but very skeptical. I know there is job sercurity here, what should I do ? PS,I am very interested in traveling.

no stay where you are

Lisa in Oakland, California

69 months ago

LaTanya Card in Macon, Georgia said: I have been done with school for over two months and certified and I cannot find a job. Either they want more experience or just wont call for an interview. I have an orthopedic tech degree and an associates. I have work for a hospital for 4 years and quit to finish school and now i am screwed I have two kids what can I do I am afarid

LaTanya Girlfriend go back to wrk and try to manuever school part/time if you don't have any help. Work and hussle your classes one step at a time. Your kids need bread and butter on the table.

no vert in Sumter, South Carolina

69 months ago

Hey folks i just finished my first semster. And i was wondering what is the average pay for st's and also first assitants?

surgtech in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

Do L&D surgical techs make the same amount as OR surgical techs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

upcoming Surgical tech in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Hi I am going to school in pittsburgh pensylvania, I am currently doing my second year I will be done January 2010..I loove this occupation..the school that i go to givs us a quarter where we do clinical and a quarter where we have a mandatory internship..I am so excited to get to that point..but I dont want to stayin pittsburgh forever I have been her all my life..I want to go to South beach and take my career further there..but i dont know what school or hospital has the best program

Quoyah in Kennesaw, Georgia

68 months ago

Thanks!

Lee, Do Not Do it. That was the first job offer right out of school for me 3years ago and I took it because for one I Needed a Job and Because I wanted to work with babies and i thought this would be great. But its not just C/Sections you will Be doing You will Be setting up for Vaginal Deliveries and You will pretty much be and Over Paid CNA and waiting on patients. Right now I feel Like Im Stuck doing it because most places will not give You a chance because of zero experience doing anything else. Also last But not Least You understand when you are PRN You Have Zero Benefits and If The Census(patients) is Low You are The first to be Made to Stay at Home. Yes Hospitals Make You Stay at Home with No Pay Because for One You get Paid More as a PRN Staff Employee. So if You Can Hold Out Stick With The Main OR.

Patricia Medina in Rancho Cucamonga, California

68 months ago

Help, I left scrubbing for 4 years and recently got a job with Kaiser as a OB Tech. The two techs there are really hard on me and I am totally nervous every time they are constantly talking about me. I constantly mess up during surgery and they wont let me just get in their....help. I finallu decided to resign today. I did this so I could eventually come back and not have a termination with my employer. Anything anyone can tell me. I was once a really good tech. Patti

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.