Questions about working as a surgical tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Aimee in Indianapolis, Indiana

112 months ago

Is anyone available to anser a few questions for me? I am pursueing a career as a surgical tech and have been given an assignment to speak with one.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Aimee in Indianapolis, Indiana

112 months ago

Maybe I could just ask the questions and anyone who has a moment to reply.......

If you do reply, could you please leave your fist name, your career title and where you work? I REALLY appreciate it.

1. Why did you decide to become a surgical tech?
2. How would you describe what you do?
3. If you have complaints about your job, what are they?
4. What is the easiest part of your job?
5. What is the hardest part of your job?

Thank you soooo much. I really appreciate it.

Aimee

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Efunlola Ogunseye in Brooklyn, New York

111 months ago

I am also interested in pursuing this feild, how does one go about finding these types of jobs in New York? ( Brooklyn )

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Efunlola Ogunseye in Brooklyn, New York

111 months ago

One other question....Is the training for "Surgical Technician" provided by the hospital?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Missoula, Montana

93 months ago

Hey all! I am getting married soon and am SO worried about losing my ring! I would be fine if I could wear it all the time, but since I have to take it off every day, several times a day..I'm not sure if I should just leave it at home and not wear it, or if there is a good way to clip it to my scrubs in a way that I wont forget it there and have the laundry department score a 2 ct rock....any advice???

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

lucky312 in Altoona, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

Mario,

I'm 43, and have been a CST for 16 years. How hard it will be is based on you.
You need to realize that obviously the book work is important, but your skill in
the OR is the most important thing. I won't lie to you, at our age it's harder
than when you start out young BUT age doesn't mean a lot. I have had days that I worked 12 hours and felt great when I left and days I worked 8 and felt like I went
through a war. You need to keep in mind you are working under stressful conditions,
with sometimes very tired cranky surgeons,understaffed ORs. and honestly some lazy
co-workers, doesn't matter what job it is lazy,mean people work everywhere. I LOVE
doing what I do don't get me wrong, but don't go into this thinking it's all fun.
I have had some of the most fun in my life while doing a case,and I have seen things done to children that I wondered what has happened to the human race. depending on what type of OR you end up in can change your experiences. Also
I'm in PA. and the pay here sucks .

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mysty in Randolph, New Jersey

93 months ago

Mario Russo in Caldwell, New Jersey said: Hello everyone! I'm forty five, forty six in October, and I'm starting Dover Business College in NJ for Surgical Tech. I wanted to go into Radiography, but I couldn't find any night schools in this field. I have to work during the day to support my family. Can anyone fill me in on what to expect as far as study time and how hard it is? I know it depends on the person, but on average I'd like to know. Also, anyone have an opinion on what kind of discriminations I may run into coming into the field at the age of forty eight. That's how old I will be when I graduate.

Thank you,
Mar

Hello Mario, Funny small world I used to live in Caldwell. I can't help you with ST but I was considering going to Dover Business School and would like to know about the financial aid, is it a student loan or a grant? I am looking to go for LPN.

Thank you and oh good luck in school - be prepared to study, study, study

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariorusso in Caldwell, New Jersey

93 months ago

mysty in Randolph, New Jersey said: Hello Mario, Funny small world I used to live in Caldwell. I can't help you with ST but I was considering going to Dover Business School and would like to know about the financial aid, is it a student loan or a grant? I am looking to go for LPN.

Thank you and oh good luck in school - be prepared to study, study, study

Hey, Randolph,

Beautiful town, I love it. Actually both Randolph and Caldwell. I went to Dover Business College in Dover back in 93-94 and took Computerized Accounting and I loved the whole faculty and the way I was treated. My wife and I are going to DBC in Clifton. I haven't went through the process for the finances yet, but she got a combination of grants and a student loan. For her, she will only have to pay about three grand on the loan. I was considering LPN as well with an eye on RN in the future. Did the college say that you could continue your education with no problems? I haven't looked into that.

Yes, studying will be difficult, but I think I'm up for the challenge. It may sound corny, but I've just adjusted my diet to have more energy with lots and lots of green vegetables and no bread. I will definitely need energy to work full time days, go to school nights, and study as well.

Good luck to you too MIR, hope all goes fantastic.

Mar

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mysty in Hackettstown, New Jersey

93 months ago

Mario Russo in Caldwell, New Jersey said: Hey, Randolph,

Beautiful town, I love it. Actually both Randolph and Caldwell. I went to Dover Business College in Dover back in 93-94 and took Computerized Accounting and I loved the whole faculty and the way I was treated. My wife and I are going to DBC in Clifton. I haven't went through the process for the finances yet, but she got a combination of grants and a student loan. For her, she will only have to pay about three grand on the loan. I was considering LPN as well with an eye on RN in the future. Did the college say that you could continue your education with no problems? I haven't looked into that.

Yes, studying will be difficult, but I think I'm up for the challenge. It may sound corny, but I've just adjusted my diet to have more energy with lots and lots of green vegetables and no bread. I will definitely need energy to work full time days, go to school nights, and study as well.

Good luck to you too MIR, hope all goes fantastic.

Mar

Hello Mario,

I thought you were going to attend in Dover, for Surgical Tech., which sounds good but how are the jobs out there? Please let me know about the financial aid. Thank You.

Also did you know John or George Krueger? We lived on Gould Place?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mario Russo in Caldwell, New Jersey

93 months ago

mysty in Hackettstown, New Jersey said: Hello Mario,

I thought you were going to attend in Dover, for Surgical Tech., which sounds good but how are the jobs out there? Please let me know about the financial aid. Thank You.

Also did you know John or George Krueger? We lived on Gould Place?

Hi Mysty,

No, I'm going to Dover Business College in Clifton. It's much closer for me than Dover. I lived in Sussex when I went to Dover. I've never met the Kruegers. I don't know how the jobs are for surgical tech to be honest. I went into this assuming that I would have to get a job at a hospital doing something else and bid for the tech job when it opens. DBC has a very good job placement program as well. They also took care of all the financial aid stuff with my wife, who just started school tonight. I'll ask her what the process was.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Media, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

lucky312 in Altoona, Pennsylvania said: Mario,

I'm 43, and have been a CST for 16 years. How hard it will be is based on you.
You need to realize that obviously the book work is important, but your skill in
the OR is the most important thing. I won't lie to you, at our age it's harder
than when you start out young BUT age doesn't mean a lot. I have had days that I worked 12 hours and felt great when I left and days I worked 8 and felt like I went
through a war. You need to keep in mind you are working under stressful conditions,
with sometimes very tired cranky surgeons,understaffed ORs. and honestly some lazy
co-workers, doesn't matter what job it is lazy,mean people work everywhere. I LOVE
doing what I do don't get me wrong, but don't go into this thinking it's all fun.
I have had some of the most fun in my life while doing a case,and I have seen things done to children that I wondered what has happened to the human race. depending on what type of OR you end up in can change your experiences. Also
I'm in PA. and the pay here sucks .

What is the pay scale in PA/NJ?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia

89 months ago

Aimee in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Maybe I could just ask the questions and anyone who has a moment to reply.......

If you do reply, could you please leave your fist name, your career title and where you work? I REALLY appreciate it.

1. Why did you decide to become a surgical tech?
2. How would you describe what you do?
3. If you have complaints about your job, what are they?
4. What is the easiest part of your job?
5. What is the hardest part of your job?

Thank you soooo much. I really appreciate it.

Aimee

first let me tell you its too dam hard to get a job as surgical tech. most places wont you to have 2 years experience. tell your teacher or instuctor to answer these questions. why is it so dam hard to get a job as a ST? how can you get that experience? then tell her or he tell you to ask them questions

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

amy in Round Rock, Texas

89 months ago

what stuff should i know to make it easier for me when i decide to start a surgical tech school. i know i should learn the instruments used in the OR but what are some other good things to know before i start school. and in any ones honest opionion was schooling easy and is, the only way to really drop out is not being able to handle the physical and mental part of the job or can they flunk you out sorry if these are stupid questions just want to know if id be able to handle this class if i have a full time job and wont be able to study 24/7. any feed back would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

maroon in Dallas, Texas

88 months ago

Hi!
I have been a certified surgical tech. for 27 years! I love what I do, and that is why I never persued a degree as an R.N. I was satisfied enough being an integral part of the surgical procedure.
I would like to beocme a Certified First Assistant, and it is my goal for the next 2 years.
I have been a member of this forum for a year now, and I had been inactive because of the lack of feedback regarding comments I have made.
I want to say this:
Stop discouraging and being negative! I have been able to support myself over the past 27 years! I am independent, I have job security, and I have surgeons who respect my abilities and request me for procedures.
Anyone who loves there job, what they do, and take the time to apply and put themselves out there in the job market can and will succeed!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Maddie in New York, New York

88 months ago

How much is the tuition in total for Dover business school in Clifton, NJ?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mario Russo in Caldwell, New Jersey

88 months ago

It is either 22k or 24k. Govt grants paid for 8k, student loan for the rest.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Maddie in New York, New York

88 months ago

Thanks. But do u really think a school costing that much is worth it long term wise. There are community colleges that are way cheaper. Which is better?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mario Russo in Caldwell, New Jersey

88 months ago

That's something that you have to decide for yourself. My wife and I are alumni of DBC from the 90s, and our experience there was fantastic which is why we are going there again. The course from DBC is fifteen months days and twenty one at night. I'm not sure what a community college is, but I would guess its two years? The job placement is extremely good at DBC as well, while I'm not sure if CC's even have job placement. It's a good fit for us because we've gone there and we are comfortable with the school, which is important. For you, you've got a lot of investigating to do and school visiting as well. The CC route just may be the best for you.

I chose to do this because I lost my business in January and I have a family to support, so I needed to get a job and go to school at night. I wanted to go for radiography but I couldn't find a night class anywhere except for Sanford Brown, which I read horrible things about. I also would have had to take required courses that I took too long ago to use the credits for now, so a two year course would have been three years even if I could have swung days. With DBC, I didn't have to take an entrance exam because I'm an alumni, and they had night courses. No brainer for me even with the cost being higher than CC's. The last thing is that my wife (who has been going since March for Meducak Coding and Billing) says that all the surgical techs got placed. The classes are small and the demand is high because of the school's rep. That was the deciding factor for me. I hope this helped you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rochellegibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

88 months ago

Hello, I have been a Surgical Technologists for 8 years. The job does require a lot of standing. I just did a huge heart case on Tuesday in which I was on my feet for 12 hours. If you get a job at an Outpatient Surgery Center the cases are much shorter. I don't mind the long standing. Time goes by really fast because I don't watch the clock. I love my job and I love what I do. I would not change it for nothing in the world. I love helping and assisting to saving peoples lives. Just remember that if you are on call it is not necessary that you will go home after your shift. If a case is running late you will have to stay until its over. Having a small child and no family to keep the child may be a bit of a problem. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rochellegibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

88 months ago

Molly in Missoula, Montana said: Hey all! I am getting married soon and am SO worried about losing my ring! I would be fine if I could wear it all the time, but since I have to take it off every day, several times a day..I'm not sure if I should just leave it at home and not wear it, or if there is a good way to clip it to my scrubs in a way that I wont forget it there and have the laundry department score a 2 ct rock....any advice???

I would leave it at home. Once it lost it gone.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

worried in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Just leave your ring at home because if and when you lose it .......and you might, you are going to be crying like a baby, so do everyone a favor and leave it at home.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Anatomy Fanatic

88 months ago

maroon in Dallas, Texas said: Hi!
I have been a certified surgical tech. for 27 years! I love what I do, and that is why I never persued a degree as an R.N. I was satisfied enough being an integral part of the surgical procedure.
I would like to beocme a Certified First Assistant, and it is my goal for the next 2 years.
I have been a member of this forum for a year now, and I had been inactive because of the lack of feedback regarding comments I have made.
I want to say this:
Stop discouraging and being negative! I have been able to support myself over the past 27 years! I am independent, I have job security, and I have surgeons who respect my abilities and request me for procedures.
Anyone who loves there job, what they do, and take the time to apply and put themselves out there in the job market can and will succeed!!

Hi!
I have been reading through the info here trying to decide whether or not this is the right field for me to pursue. I love anatomy. The things I am taking in consideration are the hours...I am a single mother of an eight-year old. I am 30 years old and really don't want to go to school for 8-10 years while my son grows up so I need a stabile career. Also, I would like to know how much ST's make hourly/annually(no disrespect to anyone, I was always taught it was rude to ask people that LOL). I am unsure because I am hearing so many different numbers. I was told here where I live (a small town in NM) ST's make 13.00 an hour(huh?). I would like some genuine honest info on this professional because I am not too far from taking my core classes...

Can anyone tell me about the standing all day? Does it get to you? Does time past pretty fast or slow? I worked in the food-idustry for some years so I can stand on my feet but I don't know if I can stand in one spot that long. I don't know how it actually is in the OR so any useful info would help.
THANKS!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rochellegibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

88 months ago

This question is for all traveling Surgical Technologist. Does anyone have and feedback on working in San Diego or any feedback on hospitals in California. I have been a Surgical Technologist for the past 8 years and now I'm getting ready to travel and would like to go to California on my first assignment. I am open for any suggestions. Thanks, Rochelle.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

junbug in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina said: This question is for all traveling Surgical Technologist. Does anyone have and feedback on working in San Diego or any feedback on hospitals in California. I have been a Surgical Technologist for the past 8 years and now I'm getting ready to travel and would like to go to California on my first assignment. I am open for any suggestions. Thanks, Rochelle.

Rochelle i'm so happy for you. I have never travelled as a tech but I have worked as people who have. didn't do it 'cause of familly obligations. i wish i could say this or that hospital but since this is your first assignment I would not worry about the hospital so much as you having a fantastic experience and it is a way for you to see if you would like to come on staff should you ever decide too and what cites you would like to live in or not. If you don't like a hospital let them know you don't want to continue your assigment should they ask you too. being able to travel is one of the best advantage of being a tech.
I do hear that san diego is a great city.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rochelle Gibbs

87 months ago

Thank you very much. I do look forward to having a good time. I've never traveled and a bit nervous but all will be well. I really would love to thank you for your comment.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

tonyaweathers in Frisco, Texas

87 months ago

maroon in Dallas, Texas said: Hi!
I have been a certified surgical tech. for 27 years! I love what I do, and that is why I never persued a degree as an R.N. I was satisfied enough being an integral part of the surgical procedure.
I would like to beocme a Certified First Assistant, and it is my goal for the next 2 years.
I have been a member of this forum for a year now, and I had been inactive because of the lack of feedback regarding comments I have made.
I want to say this:
Stop discouraging and being negative! I have been able to support myself over the past 27 years! I am independent, I have job security, and I have surgeons who respect my abilities and request me for procedures.
Anyone who loves there job, what they do, and take the time to apply and put themselves out there in the job market can and will succeed!!

Can you offer any suggestions for which programs/training is the best in the Dallas area? I live in Frisco and am trying to decide which program would be the best or offer any advantages over the others? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

amichelle in Columbus, Georgia

87 months ago

Is surgical tech a good field to go for. I currently live in georgia and wanted more information about surgical tech. Can someone please help.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jebster in Seattle, Washington

87 months ago

Hi guys,

It's my first time posting here. I am debating whether or not to persue this career. I live in Seattle. After reading what the experienced members have said, the only thing I'm concerned is how hard it is to get a job. Also do you have any idea how much Serg Tech make in Seattle metro area? I'm thinking about Renton Technical College.

Thank you a lot guy.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

segaa89117 in Las Vegas, Nevada

87 months ago

Molly in Missoula, Montana said: Hey all! I am getting married soon and am SO worried about losing my ring! I would be fine if I could wear it all the time, but since I have to take it off every day, several times a day..I'm not sure if I should just leave it at home and not wear it, or if there is a good way to clip it to my scrubs in a way that I wont forget it there and have the laundry department score a 2 ct rock....any advice???

I do not wear my ring at all to work. If you do cases all day you will have a chance to loose it. I have a special place at home to keep it. and I make sure I let my husband know the reason why i am not wearing my ring. It cost him 5G so i will not take a chances to wear it to work.. even if you use the safety pin to clip to your scrub, believe me, you will forget it or basically loose it. Leave it at home.I am a scrub tech and i wash my hands all the time after cases so leave the ring at home..

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

shelly in Knoxville, Tennessee

86 months ago

Paul in San Jose, California said: If you are a student, expect in the low to mid $20/hour to start. I know of one recent graduate, got hired for $25/hour for his first job out of school.

Where did you do your schooling?
s

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

justinspear in High Point, North Carolina

86 months ago

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina said: Hello, I have been a Surgical Technologists for 8 years. The job does require a lot of standing. I just did a huge heart case on Tuesday in which I was on my feet for 12 hours. If you get a job at an Outpatient Surgery Center the cases are much shorter. I don't mind the long standing. Time goes by really fast because I don't watch the clock. I love my job and I love what I do. I would not change it for nothing in the world. I love helping and assisting to saving peoples lives. Just remember that if you are on call it is not necessary that you will go home after your shift. If a case is running late you will have to stay until its over. Having a small child and no family to keep the child may be a bit of a problem. Good luck!!

Hi Rochelle,
I am a student in a surcial tech program in North Carolina and I'm very cusrious as to what I might start out making. I know that you can't tell me exactly but I just want an idea. Considering you are in South Carolina, the pay should be pretty similar. Could you please give me some insight? Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

justinspear in High Point, North Carolina

86 months ago

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina said: Hi Rochelle,
I am a student in a surcial tech program in North Carolina and I'm very cusrious as to what I might start out making. I know that you can't tell me exactly but I just want an idea. Considering you are in South Carolina, the pay should be pretty similar. Could you please give me some insight? Thank you so much.

Sorry, I forgot something...I plan on getting certified as soon as I'm done with my school, is this going to increase my pay? Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Brentwood, California

83 months ago

I just want to vent and say that I'm very frustrated with the job search trying to find a positon as a Sterile Processor. I went to school and luckily got into my externship in 4 months. Finding a job in this field is simply impossible. I don't have the at least one year experience everyone wants. I know the economy is bad and there are people out of work left and right which leads me to believe that if there is an experienced person looking for the same job, most certainly they'll call them back and not me.

I thought getting training in this field would get me a job in a hospital or surgery center etc. I'm just tired of not hearing anything back from no one. The school won't help-they're still trying to place people in my class for an externship and it's almost a year past.

I'm sorry but I just had to vent my frustration. I'm just trying to get any job at this time.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

angie in Daytona Beach, Florida

83 months ago

im sooo sorry to hear that make sure u call to check the recived ur email / resume it shows ur really interested !!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

doam in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Frustrated in Brentwood, California said: I just want to vent and say that I'm very frustrated with the job search trying to find a positon as a Sterile Processor. I went to school and luckily got into my externship in 4 months. Finding a job in this field is simply impossible. I don't have the at least one year experience everyone wants. I know the economy is bad and there are people out of work left and right which leads me to believe that if there is an experienced person looking for the same job, most certainly they'll call them back and not me.

I thought getting training in this field would get me a job in a hospital or surgery center etc. I'm just tired of not hearing anything back from no one. The school won't help-they're still trying to place people in my class for an externship and it's almost a year past.

I'm sorry but I just had to vent my frustration. I'm just trying to get any job at this time.


If you are a certified surgical technologist and you are able to move out of your state your living in and to a state that is hiring then I would do that so your able to get the experience you need. Put it like this your home state is not going no were no time soon ….

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Brentwood, California

83 months ago

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could leave California but it's just not feasible at this time. For the time being I kind of have given up on the idea of being a Sterile Processor.

I'm just looking for any job I can get. I'm not certified yet either. I just don't have the funds to pay for the exam. Unemployment in this state is not paying enough to live on let alone extras. Gosh, I don't want to sound too depressing but it's just the way things are right now.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

doam in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Frustrated in Brentwood, California said: Thanks for the replies. I wish I could leave California but it's just not feasible at this time. For the time being I kind of have given up on the idea of being a Sterile Processor.

I'm just looking for any job I can get. I'm not certified yet either. I just don't have the funds to pay for the exam. Unemployment in this state is not paying enough to live on let alone extras. Gosh, I don't want to sound too depressing but it's just the way things are right now.

Well reading what you wrote made me glad I left back in 06 when I did. I understand you not able to leave. I know in due time things out there will get better. Have you thought about volunteering at the hospitals out there so your able to get leads? I know you don’t have the funds to become citified but once you do get it ASAP. Stay strong I’m sure something well come along so don’t give up ☺

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

April in Pasadena, California

82 months ago

I am currently a high school senior, and am interested in the Surgical Tech. field, are there any suggestions as to which are the best school in California. Also, what types of questions should you ask s.t. representatives about their school?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

doam in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

April in Pasadena, California said: I am currently a high school senior, and am interested in the Surgical Tech. field, are there any suggestions as to which are the best school in California. Also, what types of questions should you ask s.t. representatives about their school?

These schools are CAAHEP accredited in California, hope it helps you out...

American Career College - Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA

American Career College-Anaheim - Anaheim, CA

Career Colleges of America - South Gate - South Gate, CA

Career Colleges of America-Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA

Career Colleges of America-San Bernadino - San Bernardino, CA

Career Networks Institute - Orange, CA

Concorde Career College-North Hollywood - North Hollywood , CA

Concorde Career College-San Bernadino - San Bernardino, CA

Concorde Career College-San Diego - San Diego, CA

Everest College-Reseda - Reseda , CA

Fresno City College - Fresno , CA

Glendale Career College - Glendale, CA

MiraCosta Community College - Oceanside, CA

Mt Diablo Adult Education - Concord, CA

Naval School of Health Sciences - San Diego - San Diego , CA

Newbridge College - Santa Ana, CA

Premiere Career College - Irwindale, CA

San Joaquin Valley College-Bakersfield - Bakersfield , CA

San Joaquin Valley College-Fresno - Fresno, CA

Simi Valley Adult School and Career Institute - Simi Valley, CA

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rmagan in Little Falls, New Jersey

81 months ago

Mario Russo in Caldwell, New Jersey said: Hello everyone! I'm forty five, forty six in October, and I'm starting Dover Business College in NJ for Surgical Tech. I wanted to go into Radiography, but I couldn't find any night schools in this field. I have to work during the day to support my family. Can anyone fill me in on what to expect as far as study time and how hard it is? I know it depends on the person, but on average I'd like to know. Also, anyone have an opinion on what kind of discriminations I may run into coming into the field at the age of forty eight. That's how old I will be when I graduate.

Thank you,
Mar

Hello.. I am planning to attend dover as well.. How is it going for you with the program?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rmagan in Little Falls, New Jersey

81 months ago

I am in northern NJ.. Dover Business college or Sanford Brown? Feel free to email me at rmagan21@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

DOAM in Houston, Texas said: Well reading what you wrote made me glad I left back in 06 when I did. I understand you not able to leave. I know in due time things out there will get better. Have you thought about volunteering at the hospitals out there so your able to get leads? I know you don’t have the funds to become citified but once you do get it ASAP. Stay strong I’m sure something well come along so don’t give up ☺

DOAM Where do you work in Houston, Texas? I'm Certified with Experience and still cannot find a job.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

doam in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Lisa in Houston, Texas said: DOAM Where do you work in Houston, Texas? I'm Certified with Experience and still cannot find a job.[/QUO

im just a student and im just really here for school plan on moving after im done. Since you have experience have thought about working for agencies???? i know you must have experience to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

doam in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Lisa in Houston, Texas said: DOAM Where do you work in Houston, Texas? I'm Certified with Experience and still cannot find a job.

I forgot to add to have thought about moving to another state that hospital is hiring since you have experience???? because thats a big plus!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Looking in Brentwood in San Carlos, California

70 months ago

Frustrated in Brentwood, California said: I just want to vent and say that I'm very frustrated with the job search trying to find a positon as a Sterile Processor. I went to school and luckily got into my externship in 4 months. Finding a job in this field is simply impossible. I don't have the at least one year experience everyone wants. I know the economy is bad and there are people out of work left and right which leads me to believe that if there is an experienced person looking for the same job, most certainly they'll call them back and not me.

I thought getting training in this field would get me a job in a hospital or surgery center etc. I'm just tired of not hearing anything back from no one. The school won't help-they're still trying to place people in my class for an externship and it's almost a year past.

I'm sorry but I just had to vent my frustration. I'm just trying to get any job at this time.

I was wondering if you ever got a job and what school you went to. i am looking into going to school to be a surgical tech and the cost of the school surprised me.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

lulujatalbachian@*****.*** in Pasadena, California

53 months ago

I need a good school program for surgical tech. in Pasadena Ca.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

raider1 in Missoula, Montana

50 months ago

What are the most exciting aspects of being a surgical tech?

How many surgeries does a surgical tech assist with per day?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Scott in New York, New York

43 months ago

Has anyone been certified by taking the test through national health career association with out going to school for surgical tech?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Paola in Melbourne, Australia

43 months ago

Hi there. i got a question i really don't know if i should persue this career or not because there is another one called forensic autopsy technician? So what i wanna do is basically work in the, let's call it operating room with the doctor watch or help him do the autopsy.. so i dont kow if by doing surgicial tech i will get the chance to do that or like it doesnt matter if i do autopsy technician because they are both similar.. i would like you to inform me more about this if you can.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

johnalong in Sacramento, California

39 months ago

I signed up for the Surgical Technology program. Finished top of the class, got my CST card. They dont tell you that to actually get a job you have to know someone that will hire you as everyone demands at least one to two years of experience. Where you get that experience most of my classmates and myself have yet to find. You will not break into this field cold...period, if ya do then buy a lotto ticket as well cause you have defied the odds of reason.
The majority of our instructors there were horrible,,,good techs, but when it came to teaching they had zero talent in that area...the first slap in the face
The text book and written material were a freaking joke as well. The main text book they finally had to stop using because of all the technical errors in it, not to mention the grammatical errors at every turn. The exam review book they forced us to buy was five years old when there were far better and more up to date books available.
When it cane to lab time to practice hands on they were so short staffed that you only got to do a case once every two weeks, the rest of the time you stood around scrubbed in in a freaking four hour torture session twice a week.
Also the inadequacy of the labs didnt stop there. They trained us on all the outdated methods of doing procedures and virtually nothing recently modern. Our segment on laparoscopic surgery (about half of what you will actually be doing) lasted two days!
Taught us almost nothing on stapling technique/equipment (75% of what you will be doing) showed some pics in the text was all.
After we finished the classroom portion we had to wait ONE YEAR to start our externships!! Some people even longer. When you go to sign up and all through the program they tell you it may be two to four weeks for a site. They also misrepresented during the waiting period what was going on. They lied through their teeth to us basically.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.