ST's in the Sacramento, CA area I need your help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

snowbird

61 months ago

I am looking for CST's in the Sacramento CA area to talk with. I have some questions I would love to talk with someone in the field and get some more clearly defined answers than what I have seen on the net. I am interested in the viewpoints and facts on ACCSCT & CAAHEP accreditation as well as job market trends in that area. There is so much mis information on the net would love to talk to someone real time. Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NON

61 months ago

AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED, CERTIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATION'S ARE GOOD AS FAR AS MARKETABILITY IS CONCERNS, BUT THEY REALLY DONT HAVE AN IMPACT ON EMPLOYMENT. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE IS WHAT THEY TEND TO LOOK FOR. I HAVE NEVER BEEN CERTIFIED, OR AM A MEMBER OF ANY OF THOSE AGENCIES (TRUTH IS ALL THEY REALLY WANT IS YOUR MONEY) CERTIFICATION IS GOOD, BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN DENIED A JOB DUE TO IT. I HAVE TRAVELED TO CINCINNATI, DAYTON, KANSAS, AND NOW I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, BUT I HAVE YET TO ENCOUNTER A PLACE THAT HAS DENIED ME EMPLOYMENT.THE BEST SPECIALTIES TO GET EXPERIENCE IN (LISTED IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE) IS CARDIAC (HARD TO GET INTO EVEN IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED BY A HOSPITAL THAT DOES THEM), ORTHOPEDICS, EYES, SPINE FUSION(CONSIDERED ORTHOPEDICS), NEUROLOGY, EVERYTHING ELSE IS PRETTY MUCH COMMONPLACE, WHEN YOU MAKING YOUR RESUME "SELL YOURSELF", JUST LIKE A CAR SALESMAN, MINUS THE LIES AND BS. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THE USUALLY, I AM A QUICK LEARNER, BLAH, BLAH BLAH. MOST FACILITIES WANT SOMEONE WHO IS EXPERIENCED AND READY TO GO, WORKS GREAT WITHIN A TEAM ENVIRONMENT, AND WONT MOUTH OFF WHEN THE DOC ACTS LIKE A JACKASS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NON

61 months ago

BTW, PAY IN SAC IS HORRIBLE $18-23 DUE TO THE COST OF LIVING BEING SO LOW, WHILE PAY IN OAKLAND AND SF (25-40) BUT THE COST OF LIVING IS MUCH HIGHER. IF U WANNA MAKE GOOD MONEY, LIVE SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN AND CARPOOL TO THE BAY AREA

snowbird

61 months ago

NON said: AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED, CERTIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATION'S ARE GOOD AS FAR AS MARKETABILITY IS CONCERNS, BUT THEY REALLY DONT HAVE AN IMPACT ON EMPLOYMENT. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE IS WHAT THEY TEND TO LOOK FOR. I HAVE NEVER BEEN CERTIFIED, OR AM A MEMBER OF ANY OF THOSE AGENCIES (TRUTH IS ALL THEY REALLY WANT IS YOUR MONEY) CERTIFICATION IS GOOD, BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN DENIED A JOB DUE TO IT. I HAVE TRAVELED TO CINCINNATI, DAYTON, KANSAS, AND NOW I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, BUT I HAVE YET TO ENCOUNTER A PLACE THAT HAS DENIED ME EMPLOYMENT.THE BEST SPECIALTIES TO GET EXPERIENCE IN (LISTED IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE) IS CARDIAC (HARD TO GET INTO EVEN IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED BY A HOSPITAL THAT DOES THEM), ORTHOPEDICS, EYES, SPINE FUSION(CONSIDERED ORTHOPEDICS), NEUROLOGY, EVERYTHING ELSE IS PRETTY MUCH COMMONPLACE, WHEN YOU MAKING YOUR RESUME "SELL YOURSELF", JUST LIKE A CAR SALESMAN, MINUS THE LIES AND BS. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THE USUALLY, I AM A QUICK LEARNER, BLAH, BLAH BLAH. MOST FACILITIES WANT SOMEONE WHO IS EXPERIENCED AND READY TO GO, WORKS GREAT WITHIN A TEAM ENVIRONMENT, AND WONT MOUTH OFF WHEN THE DOC ACTS LIKE A JACKASS.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but what I am really looking for is opinions or rather facts on the difference between ACCSCT & CAAHEP, because there are only 2 schools int the Sac area and I really prefer one over the other and High Tech only has the ACCSCT, though it does say on the website that you can test for the competency exam AS WELL AS your certification..but I am in a quandry about the accreditation, as I cannot seem to find any definitive answers anywhere! As far as newbies getting employed, I think I have to take the leap and hope that life sees fit to help me out, as I am looking to go to Alaska anyway with my CST to PA...any help on the accreditations would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks

surgical D in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

snowbird said: Thanks for taking the time to reply, but what I am really looking for is opinions or rather facts on the difference between ACCSCT & CAAHEP, because there are only 2 schools int the Sac area and I really prefer one over the other and High Tech only has the ACCSCT, though it does say on the website that you can test for the competency exam AS WELL AS your certification..but I am in a quandry about the accreditation, as I cannot seem to find any definitive answers anywhere! As far as newbies getting employed, I think I have to take the leap and hope that life sees fit to help me out, as I am looking to go to Alaska anyway with my CST to PA...any help on the accreditations would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks

Im attending western career in Citrus heights for Surg tech. Heres the difference between the two schools. Going to western means you can sit to take the certification exam. If you go to High Tech you'll have to pay additional online class to qualify for the exam. trust me my boyfriend went to High Tech and he found all this out recently.

snowbird

60 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to answer, much appreciated. So your bfriend went to the Surp Tech program at High Tech? That is sort of disappointing to hear as I really like High Tech much more. I went to Western last year and toured their facility..I found the staff and admissions people to be very testy and impatient.
How has your experience been there? Do you like it so far? I mean over 30k is a lot to commit to a school that did not in any way give me any warm fuzzies. Buying a used car was more personal than the experience of testing and touring Wester. unfortuantely, it is one of the only programs in Norcal...and light you cold she would be awesome. As I am preparing to make a huge leap from a very comfortable job. Thanks in advance...I wonder if in the end it is worth it to pay the extra for online courses to sit for C-ST certification?? Oh yeah, one last thing..does Western guarantee placement after externship? I supppose that is hard to say in this economy though

Margo in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

snowbird said: I am looking for CST's in the Sacramento CA area to talk with. I have some questions I would love to talk with someone in the field and get some more clearly defined answers than what I have seen on the net. I am interested in the viewpoints and facts on ACCSCT & CAAHEP accreditation as well as job market trends in that area. There is so much mis information on the net would love to talk to someone real time. Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm looking for the same thing... Were you successful in speaking with someone? If so, please share the knowledge... Thanks.

snowbird

60 months ago

I wish I had knowledge to share, I have only had one other person answer me with honesty and not negativity, which seems to be rampant on this forum. As you may know there are only 2 schools in the Sac area, High Tech and Western. Only Western with get you CS-T certified High Tech will only get you as far as being able to sit for the NCCT exam...that is a big problem, so Western may be the only answer for me at this point. What do you know that you could share? This forum has not been helpful at all for me searching for info from those in the field.

Margo in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

I too have searched high and low for info (both positive and negative) but like mentioined the negative out weight the postive by a long shot.... I actullay gave up hope and thought maybe this wasn't for me, but I keep coming back to it. My concerns are not being able to get a job as well as paying off the loan. How much does Western cost? And how long is the program? Have you decided if you are going for it? If so, where? Thank for your time!

oldtech in West Sacramento, California

60 months ago

I am a military trained surgical tech with 15 years experience. I have never been turned down for not having certification, experience is preferred over certification always. New techs should have it if they have no experience.

The big problem is the lack of jobs. Surgical tech Jobs are hard to come by in Sacramento. with 2 tech schools in Sacramento pumping out techs, jobs are scarce. With all my experience working Neuro, Ortho, Spines I can only get a job as an on call tech. I am one of many experienced techs who get called in to pick up shifts when techs call in sick or go on vacation. to be on call there is a pecking order as to who gets called first based on seniority. I am the third in line. I never get called. all of us most of us who are on call are waiting for a full time position. We will have priority over new grades for sure.

I don't mean to be negative but your chances of getting a job out of school are not very good these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Margo in Elk Grove, California

60 months ago

snowbird said: I wish I had knowledge to share, I have only had one other person answer me with honesty and not negativity, which seems to be rampant on this forum. As you may know there are only 2 schools in the Sac area, High Tech and Western. Only Western with get you CS-T certified High Tech will only get you as far as being able to sit for the NCCT exam...that is a big problem, so Western may be the only answer for me at this point. What do you know that you could share? This forum has not been helpful at all for me searching for info from those in the field.

It really looks like we are in the same boat... Have you decided on what you are going to do? I love to like to speak with you more about this outside of this forum....

snowbird

60 months ago

Hi There,

I am all for sharing of knowledge, Margo, feel free to email me at
snowbird_20@hotmail.com my name is Jessica.

I have learned a bit more over the last week since filing for Fafsa is appoaching quickly...

surgtech1168 in North Highlands, California

43 months ago

snowbird said: I wish I had knowledge to share, I have only had one other person answer me with honesty and not negativity, which seems to be rampant on this forum. As you may know there are only 2 schools in the Sac area, High Tech and Western. Only Western with get you CS-T certified High Tech will only get you as far as being able to sit for the NCCT exam...that is a big problem, so Western may be the only answer for me at this point. What do you know that you could share? This forum has not been helpful at all for me searching for info from those in the field.

Just from being in the field with multiple hospitals, Western produces underqualified products. It seems as though they are not up to speed with skills. It might be the instructors...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lldybugg85 in Chico, California

43 months ago

surgical D in Sacramento, California said: Im attending western career in Citrus heights for Surg tech. Heres the difference between the two schools. Going to western means you can sit to take the certification exam. If you go to High Tech you'll have to pay additional online class to qualify for the exam. trust me my boyfriend went to High Tech and he found all this out recently.

I went to High Tech, and that is not true, just took the NCCT and passed. Western is overpriced, it doesnt matter where you go to school. Once your out there you still have to sell your self to get a job. Most important you have to fit in, no attitude....

ST in Bellflower, California

42 months ago

lldybugg85 in Chico, California said: I went to High Tech, and that is not true, just took the NCCT and passed. Western is overpriced, it doesnt matter where you go to school. Once your out there you still have to sell your self to get a job. Most important you have to fit in, no attitude....

Actually Surgical D is correct. What you took was the NCCT's exam for ST-C not CST.

Leanne in Lincoln, California

11 months ago

surgical D in Sacramento, California said: Im attending western career in Citrus heights for Surg tech. Heres the difference between the two schools. Going to western means you can sit to take the certification exam. If you go to High Tech you'll have to pay additional online class to qualify for the exam. trust me my boyfriend went to High Tech and he found all this out recently.

Hi I was thinking of going to the Citrus Heights location for surgical tech but heard a lot of bad reviews etc, Can you tell me anything positive about your experience there? Thank you;)

Leanne in Lincoln, California

11 months ago

Thank you! I heard though after school they don`t help you find jobs or hospitals won`t hire you....so confused

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.