Surgical Tech School...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Stephanie in Hacienda Heights, California

93 months ago

Hi. i'm interested in learning all about being a surgical tech..anyone know of any schools in the los angeles area?? i went to a school today & they wanted $19000...is that how much it would cost????pppppllllleeeeeaaaaaassssssssse let me know...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

alex in Orlando, Florida

93 months ago

i read somewhere online that high tech institute charges around 26,000 for their program. something like that. pretty expensive if you ask me.

Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

Hi Stephanie, first of all dont just think about the price, think about how easy it will be for you to get a job with the education you will receive and how much your starting salary will actually be. These schools are private businesses who care very deeply about their bottom line, so don't just take what the admission rep tells you for granted. Go to careerbuilder and search the whole country for surgical tech jobs, check hospital websites too. Look at how many openings require at least 1 year of experience. If all you have is a cute $20,000 diploma or AS they wont even consider you, trust me. I graduated last october, and to this day I have been looking for a job, I keep in touch with 8 people in my class who also havent been able to find employment. The job "placement" at our school is basically worthless, and its downright depressing to be paying $350 a month for a student loan when I havent found a job yet. Just keep in mind what these jobs require, and if you think they might make an exception because they like you remember you have to compete with every new grad from Bryman, Concorde, American Career College, Career College of America, Glendale Career College, Everest college, and wherever else they pump out a new class every few months.

Reply - Report abuse

ST Tech in Jacksonville, Florida

91 months ago

Make sure your program IS CAAHEP accredited and in good standing

Reply - Report abuse

Paul_E_Tech in So Cal, California

91 months ago

Stephanie in Hacienda Heights, California said: Hi. i'm interested in learning all about being a surgical tech..anyone know of any schools in the los angeles area?? i went to a school today & they wanted $19000...is that how much it would cost????pppppllllleeeeeaaaaaassssssssse let me know...

Los Angeles is actually saturated with (private/trade) schools providing (ST) programs. Chris pretty hit the nail in the coffin...or is it head? Anyway, CAAHEP lists all the accredited schools located in CA.

Reply - Report abuse

Alonq in Los Angeles, California

91 months ago

Stephanie in Hacienda Heights, California said: Hi. i'm interested in learning all about being a surgical tech..anyone know of any schools in the los angeles area?? i went to a school today & they wanted $19000...is that how much it would cost????pppppllllleeeeeaaaaaassssssssse let me know...

Maybe this comment is too late but 19k isn't a lot of money for this program, i paid 23k. But my advise to you would be NOT to take the Suergical Tech course because it's hard to find a job after wards and every place requires experience. If I were you, I would go for RN at a community college (which takes about 2-1/2 years full time student) or take the Medical Assisting Program (if you want to get done quickly) Good Luck!!!

Reply - Report abuse

veronicainlosangeles in Los Angeles, California

90 months ago

What ever you guys do!! Do not go to everest on wilshire in the city of Los Angeles, I meet with Jesse Rico and Johnny Areallano so used car sales men. Everest College wilshire campus is very very bad. and Johnny was the presdent of the campus. Dam he said i can start making 15hr to start they should look into all the lies that they are giving

Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Dont waste your time with that program it sucks not jobs out there.

Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

ST Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: Make sure your program IS CAAHEP accredited and in good standing

What are you talking about CAAHEP doesnt Mean nothing!

Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Highland, Indiana

90 months ago

this is so depressing i just finished a 2 year degree and an extern and didnt get hired onto my site. all job listings want experience and surgical jobs are a differant breed. you have to work to get experience because there is so much you need to learn and know. Im thinking about going back and getting a MA certificate and that might help me get a job for now....so sad 20,000 dollars later and nothing to show for it, should of went to nursing school!

Reply - Report abuse

Auntie in Long Beach, California

90 months ago

6/7/09 - ST Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: said: Make sure your program IS CAAHEP accredited and in good standing

6/26/09 - Veronica in Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California said: What are you talking about CAAHEP doesnt Mean nothing!

7/3/09 - Veronica, what makes you say that CAAHEP accreditation is meaningless? In my research it seems CAAHEP accreditation is important to get AST certification -- & most employers want AST-CERTIFIED Surgical Techs. The AST website has a list of schools. Also check the NBSTSA.

Reply - Report abuse

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Hotel, California

90 months ago

Its what you don't say. . . . marinate on that, Auntie in LBC. If my ex's sister, mother, sister, whatever, was hiring, I'd get that job without going to CAAHEP...true/false?

Reply - Report abuse

Auntie in Long Beach, California

90 months ago

7/3/09 Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Hotel, California said: Its what you don't say.... marinate on that, Auntie in LBC. If my ex's sister, mother, sister, whatever, was hiring, I'd get that job without going to CAAHEP...true/false?

7/4/09 TRUE: Nepotism gets around "formal" credentials.

But for the rest of us I'm just stating the Catch-22: More employers prefer AST certification -- AST-approved ST schools are listed with CAAHEP -- and it seems that this trend will only continue and this certification will be a requirement in the future. (Plus we live in a name-brand culture.)

Veronica, I'm especially interested in your response....

Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Whittier, California

89 months ago

no don't go for st go for nursing instead your will have a better chance of getting a job after school. i know i graduated 2007 still looking for st job not fear most of those schools they will promise you the world will help you to get a job. the school i went to in long beach the lady that worked in job placement told me to come in go to the internet not one lead. it sucks good peolple are getting taken advantage of. if doesn't matter what school you go to it is the job exp. needed it doesn't matter if your grade point average is 3.5-4.0 you will not get a job.

Reply - Report abuse

MinhYên in Oakland, California

89 months ago

Annie in Whittier, California said: no don't go for st go for nursing instead your will have a better chance of getting a job after school. i know i graduated 2007 still looking for st job not fear most of those schools they will promise you the world will help you to get a job. the school i went to in long beach the lady that worked in job placement told me to come in go to the internet not one lead. it sucks good peolple are getting taken advantage of. if doesn't matter what school you go to it is the job exp. needed it doesn't matter if your grade point average is 3.5-4.0 you will not get a job.

Do you think that once the recession is over, the demand for ST will increase again?

Reply - Report abuse

HollaGeo in Passaic, New Jersey

88 months ago

Go for nursing. You can still scrub and get paid a nurses salary

Reply - Report abuse

tara in Huntington Beach, California

86 months ago

i have been trying to get into a nursing program for 4 years. this last time 800 students applied for 65 spots....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

Reply - Report abuse

abhes now.... in Santa Monica, California

43 months ago

Now I'm depressed..no jobs? where do they get the 90%placement rate then? heard of CBD? is ABHES accreditation ok, approved by AST but not spoken of as highly as CAAHEP

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

karen p in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

i just went last week to north west and they want 27k for surgical tech program

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

dd in Pomona, California

27 months ago

Im currently going to long beach state and its just taking too long. I read across everyones comments and gives me a second thought of being a surgical tech. I want to finish fast and with good pay.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.