Surgical Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 350)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Julie in Sacramento, California

70 months ago

Barbara S in Maryville, Tennessee said: Hi Jill:
I read your post about the online ST program you are in? How did you find out about this school and how do you like it? I live in Tenn and am also looking for a online ST program since I work F/T but wanted to change careers (in my 40's) LOL. But I am very interested in this field. I also have a AA degree in Business.

Barbara

Hello,

Since the program is accredited, would I be able to do everything online.. but just have to find a hospital that will let me do my clinicals? Hopefully here in CA, they would be willing to work with me? I always thought the college had to have a relationship with the hospital to schedule the clinical sites.....but if it's something I could do myself, count me in! The only school here in Sacramento thats accredited is 35K!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara S in Maryville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Thank you Jill. I will contact them tomorrow. You have helped me a ton. Happy Holidays to you !

Jill in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

Julie in Sacramento, California said: Hello,

Since the program is accredited, would I be able to do everything online.. but just have to find a hospital that will let me do my clinicals? Hopefully here in CA, they would be willing to work with me? I always thought the college had to have a relationship with the hospital to schedule the clinical sites.....but if it's something I could do myself, count me in! The only school here in Sacramento thats accredited is 35K!

Hi Julie, yes the key to the online program is getting a contract between the college and a hospital so you can do clinicals. This was pretty easily established with my hospital though and there may already be an existing contract with a hospital near you, who knows?!? I would start by contacting the program director and go from there, it's worth a try! Yikes, 35K?!? That seems pretty steep to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Jill in Eugene, Oregon said: Hi Julie, yes the key to the online program is getting a contract between the college and a hospital so you can do clinicals. This was pretty easily established with my hospital though and there may already be an existing contract with a hospital near you, who knows?!? I would start by contacting the program director and go from there, it's worth a try! Yikes, 35K?!? That seems pretty steep to me!

Thanks Jill, I know 35K-ridiculous...I will definately contact the director to get more info. Its amazing how many schools are out there that are not accredited but most jobs where I am at prefer that you go to one. I am excited and I really hope it works out! I have been deciding between ST and LVN for awhile. There is a 2 year wait at my local CC to get into the LVN program! They don't make it easy to get into the medical field! Merry Christmas and thank you for the priceless=) info!

70 months ago

I found this great listing of all the surgical tech programs out there that has the degree or certificate offered and the link to the school. There does seem to be a huge difference in the education offered.

www.surgicaltechsuccess.com/surgicaltechschools.html

ngreely in Beaverton, Oregon

70 months ago

I love hearing all these pros and cons. It gives me a lot of perspective. I have wanted to be in the OR for years. My kids are getting older and I think I am ready to start pursuing this. My only concern is that I have a "bad" back. What if I can't handle standing for 10 hrs? I feel totally confident besides that. Has anyone attended Mt. Hood Community college? If I do this, it would be there. Also, I was wondering about the hours worked. Is 40/wk. average or is it more than that, realistically?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Roseville, California

70 months ago

Julie in Sacramento, California said: Thanks Jill, I know 35K-ridiculous...I will definately contact the director to get more info. Its amazing how many schools are out there that are not accredited but most jobs where I am at prefer that you go to one. I am excited and I really hope it works out! I have been deciding between ST and LVN for awhile. There is a 2 year wait at my local CC to get into the LVN program! They don't make it easy to get into the medical field! Merry Christmas and thank you for the priceless=) info!

Dear Julie,

I am a Surg Tech in the sacramento area. Most tech that are intering in to the field in this are are going to either Hightech or Western Career. I would say that most of the techs that I work with have graduated from Hightech. That is where I went also. i can highly recomend them. The hands on lab they have there is outstanding. I also know the surg tech dircetor at Western, he is an outstanding instructor and director. I know that neither one of these schools cost 35k unless they have increased that much in the past couple of years. They should be more like around 20k to 25k. But both schools have lots of ways to pay for your education. I would recomend ST over LVN. It is a quick way into the hospitals. And most hospitals have a fast track to RN program. Good luck

Steve

70 months ago

Thanks Steve,

I just went to Western Career last week and the girl that did my consultation quoted 35k....???? I was told High Tech is abouth the same but its not accredited. I would love to go somewhere local, but it seems ridiculous to spend so much....I am still not sure. Maybe they raised it because of the economy and more people are entering the medical field?

Crystal in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

I attended Mt Hood Community College. I highly recommend the program. The instructors there make sure you are ready to move on to the clinical sites when it is time. If your not ready they won't let you move on. They all have years of CNOR or CST experience. The program is fairly demanding if you don't have all of your pre-req's met. You will get to do a clinical rotation at almost every hospital in the Portland area, and the hospitals in Portland prefer Mt Hood graduates.
Your back issues might be a problem. This field is very demanding as far as standing on your feet for long periods of time. I suggest you call Mt Hood and talk with the program director, Tracy Woodsworth. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeannie

70 months ago

Standing for long hours isn't always the problem. Some cases aren't so long and some are. However, there are other physical aspects to the job like, carrying heavy instrument pans, moving equipment and crawling around on your hands and knees for equipment placement etc. Just positioning an O.R. table can wrench your back if you are not careful. Part of the job, orientation and continuing education in the hospital setting involves learning proper ergonomics and back care. Where I worked, we attended a class on it every year. Preventing back injuries were considered high priority.

Jeannie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ngreely in Beaverton, Oregon

70 months ago

Thank you for your reply. That was really useful information. The rotations sounds fun and I am glad that it is demanding. If I do this, I want to be the best. Again, thanks for your reply. I am so grateful for this website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Marci in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I just finished a Surgical Tech program where I live. I absolutely love it!!! The pay averages around $15 or $16 an hour, but there is usually call pay, and shift differential and other incentives. I had two small children and no money. Look up FAFSA, which is for federal aid and apply. It paid for my school for 2 years and also gave me extra money each semester (a few hundred) to help with other stuff. It is federal aid and not a loan so you do not pay it back. Look into it, it may help. Some schools also have daycare assistance if you apply in time. Good luck.

Just to let everyone know, when you do your FAFSA online, you may or may not actually be able to get federal aid or not. You may get grants (which you don't have to pay back but depending on your income or assets, you may just get a Stafford Loan which is subsidized by the Govt but you DO have to pay it back)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

70 months ago

Barbara S in Maryville, Tennessee said: Hi Jill:
I read your post about the online ST program you are in? How did you find out about this school and how do you like it? I live in Tenn and am also looking for a online ST program since I work F/T but wanted to change careers (in my 40's) LOL. But I am very interested in this field. I also have a AA degree in Business.

Barbara

Having gone thru an associate's degree school (I was 38 when I started), I cannot imagine trying to learn this online. So so much of it was hands on in the lab. I would really think this thru. If you have an opportunity to go to an actual school, I would definitely do that! So much of what you learn if by actually doing it. You can only learn so much from a book. Just my $.02 worth. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynical Panic in Chattanooga, Tennessee

70 months ago

ngreely in Beaverton, Oregon said: I love hearing all these pros and cons. It gives me a lot of perspective. I have wanted to be in the OR for years. My kids are getting older and I think I am ready to start pursuing this. My only concern is that I have a "bad" back. What if I can't handle standing for 10 hrs? I feel totally confident besides that. Has anyone attended Mt. Hood Community college? If I do this, it would be there. Also, I was wondering about the hours worked. Is 40/wk. average or is it more than that, realistically?

I just had to have back surgery after being on the job for a mere 8 months. It is painful if you already have a bad back. On the upside, I had an in at the hospital, got to pick the staff I wanted in the OR, and didnt have to wait months for the doc to see me. Also, my incision went right thru my awesome tattoo but I worked with the 1st assist and he MADE SURE my tattoo lined up and he really took his time to make sure it looked great!

70 months ago

I really know what you mean but there is only some classroom work then you have to do clinicals at a actual hospital. I am finding out about it now from the program director at SE College. What was the hardest part that you found from your studies?

Kamille in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

I'm am a student looking to get into the surgical technology program at my local community college. My question is what would you experienced tech's tell someone wanting to get into this career? And besides becoming a first assistant how else can someone advance their career in this field?

70 months ago

Jill in Eugene, Oregon said: Hi Terri, not sure if you're still looking at going back to school but I have some info that may help. I was a stay at home mom for 6 years and decided it was time to go back to school and get a career going. The program I found is entirely online! At least the didactic portion is and then I have been doing my clinicals at our local hospital. With pre-reqs and the program combined I will be done in March after 15 months in school. My hospital has been very flexible with my clinical hours and I am able to study while my kids are in school and in the evenings. The school is Southeast Community College in Nebraska (southeast.edu) and I will have an Associates Degree in Surgical Technology. I agree with most of the posts here, this job is not for everyone. It can be very intense at times. Most of that does have to do with personalities of the team members. I just remind myself why I am doing this and that I love it and I am making a difference in people's lives. So, if you are looking to get into the medical field within a relatively short time commitment, get decent starting pay, and have a rewarding career that has many opportunities to branch out, specialize, or move up, then I say go for it! Hope this helps!

Jill:
I was wondering if you could give me some more info about this program. What was your total cost? What classes did you find the hardest so far? I have left the program director a message but they
are closed for the Winter break.
My email is bstrzykalski@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Barbara

Cnoori in Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

I enrolled in the Pharmacy Tech program at Kaplan college in Las Vegas. I originally wanted to enroll in the Surgery Tech program but one is not offered here in LV; However, the admissions clerk at Kaplan said that surgeons are moving towards training their own techs (similar to dental assistants?) and getting my feet in the door as a Pharm Tech would be a great start.

Anyone agree? I start school 1/12/09

Thanks!

Jeannie

70 months ago

No, I do not agree. Pharmacy Tech has nothing to do with the O.R.
Also, I have never heard of any surgeon training their own Surgical Tech unless, it was in a private Plastic Surgeon's office and then, you will not get the training that you would get through a legitimate program. You will only learn what that physician chooses to teach you and most likely, he/she will only show you what they want you to do. Surgeons will not want to pay to train you nor do they want to pay for your services when the hospital would be doing that. I would opt for a real program if Surgical Technology is what you really want to do.

Jeannie

70 months ago

That person at Kaplan's led you astray and I would file a complaint with their supervisor. They basically lied to you.

70 months ago

I have to agree...Have you checked into these 2 ST programs for Las Vegas, Nevada?

High-Tech Institute

Nevada Career Institute

Barbara

Steve in Roseville, California

70 months ago

That's the crazyist thing that I have every heard. How could you possibly think you are getting your foot in the door as a Pharmacy tech. The two are not even remotely related. That person a Kaplan College doesn't have a clue. A way to get a foot in the door would be possible as a sterile processing tech. But I am sure that there has to be some kind if a surgical tech program in Las Vegas. If being a surgical tech is really what you want to do, do not settle for a Pharmacy Tech. program you will not be happy. Pharmacy tech and Surgical tech are like day and night. I feel you need to really rethink the pharmacy tech program. And really rethink Kapaln College. Isn't there a Hightech in Las Vegas. I just checked and there is a Hightech in LasVegas and they have a surgical tech program. They are at 2320 S Rancho Dr. . Good luck!

Cnoori in Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

I feel so stupid to believe that now that I read your responses :( I just found out about HighTech yesterday and will definately look into into it this week!

Thank you all so much for the advice.

70 months ago

Do not feel bad..that is why these posts and forums are so good. You get alot of good information that you may not normally think of or know at the time.

Misti in Long Beach, California

70 months ago

Reading all of your comments and banter has been very interesting, I myself am a critical care/E.R. nurse at a animal specialty hospital.....yeah I know alot of you may not think that it is quite as demanding as human nursing, and I agree, I am looking into CST schooling. I absolutely love surgery! Being the lovely age of 44, the school that I am looking into is in Orange County, with clinical's at Kaiser, Hoag, Newport Memorial and a few other great hospitals.
Thank you all for your inadvertent information.

Jeannie

70 months ago

Good luck to you!

Misti in Long Beach, California

70 months ago

Thank you Jeannie.............you were actually very helpful

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

69 months ago

I'm sure all the working scrub techs posting here are accurate in their comments about being a surgical tech. After paying $27k for schooling , doing GREAT in my externship I have found that there are NO , I repeat NO Hospitals or surgery centers here in Southern Cal. that will hire for any related position without at least one year experience -though there are many opportunities for those with one year experience .
Having said that I implore anyone wanting to become a surgical tech to read the posts from RECENT GRADS - not from those currently working . The reason is there is a HUGE glut of recent grads and few if any can find a job that will train or start . PERIOD . Read the posts .
I would not attempt to start school and pursue this field unless you have a contact , IN ADVANCE , that will guarantee you a position upon completing your course in good standing. Even referrals from hospital employees are not enough to get an interview now . Even the best externs in the largest hospitals are not getting offers for positions now (unlike even 6 - 12 months ago) . Do not believe the school placement claims - their talk of high graduate employment rates now are hype , they do not state that the employment figures for the last year count ANY employment , while the truth is now over 75% are not even in the medical FIELD ! Again , check the boards , search the employment sites hundreds if not thousands of surgical tech jobs - not ONE will accept a new grad - if you don't believe me PLEASE check for yourself - this applies for the entire country .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

69 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: I'm sure all the working scrub techs posting here are accurate in their comments about being a surgical tech. After paying $27k for schooling , doing GREAT in my externship I have found that there are NO , I repeat NO Hospitals or surgery centers here in Southern Cal. that will hire for any related position without at least one year experience -though there are many opportunities for those with one year experience .
Having said that I implore anyone wanting to become a surgical tech to read the posts from RECENT GRADS - not from those currently working . The reason is there is a HUGE glut of recent grads and few if any can find a job that will train or start . PERIOD . Read the posts .
I would not attempt to start school and pursue this field unless you have a contact , IN ADVANCE , that will guarantee you a position upon completing your course in good standing. Even referrals from hospital employees are not enough to get an interview now . Even the best externs in the largest hospitals are not getting offers for positions now (unlike even 6 - 12 months ago) . Do not believe the school placement claims - their talk of high graduate employment rates now are hype , they do not state that the employment figures for the last year count ANY employment , while the truth is now over 75% are not even in the medical FIELD ! Again , check the boards , search the employment sites hundreds if not thousands of surgical tech jobs - not ONE will accept a new grad - if you don't believe me PLEASE check for yourself - this applies for the entire country .

I don't believe this is for every state. I personally contacted 2 major hospitals in my area of Knoxville, TN and they ARE looking for recent grads. In fact it even says in the job postings, recent grads are ok or ready to sit for the exam. Maybe CA is saturated with ST's and that is the reason?

69 months ago

I have to disagree with not being able to get a job as a new grad. I work at Carolinas healthcare system and there on their posting it does not state anywhere that you have to have any type of experience.

69 months ago

Barbara;
Hello;
Thats great , if its true . I do believe that they may put in their job postings that they would consider recent grads....The important thing to note is while many companies say they will hire recent grads most of those positions are actually filled by experienced techs . I would like to hear of people who have actually been HIRED recently (within the last several months) without nepotism and without experience . Please list the hospitals that are hiring recent grads and any contact info for us that may have to relocate to work in the field . Many of us in the west and large metro areas ( Check the posts) are getting very skeptical and would love to hear recent success (or lack of it...) stories . Thanks for responding , and please follow up .
bill

69 months ago

Again, many responses of heresay and currently employed techs saying there are opportunities for recent grads . Unfortunately , no responses from recent grads that have actually been hired . There is a huge difference between advertising to hire recent grads and the number of recent grads who have actually landed jobs in the last six months or so .
As a matter of reference my best lead so far was at a major hospital here in Orange County ca. I have a good friend that is the manager of the Surgery dept. and said they use alot of techs and are always short . She said it would be no problem with her recommendation - after giving all the info she got back to me and said she didn't understand why but they have stopped hiring recent grads (despite the opposite in the job postings....) they will only hire with over 1 year experience and if the position still can't be filled they use a registry service !!!!

69 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: Again, many responses of heresay and currently employed techs saying there are opportunities for recent grads . Unfortunately , no responses from recent grads that have actually been hired . There is a huge difference between advertising to hire recent grads and the number of recent grads who have actually landed jobs in the last six months or so .
As a matter of reference my best lead so far was at a major hospital here in Orange County ca. I have a good friend that is the manager of the Surgery dept. and said they use alot of techs and are always short . She said it would be no problem with her recommendation - after giving all the info she got back to me and said she didn't understand why but they have stopped hiring recent grads (despite the opposite in the job postings....) they will only hire with over 1 year experience and if the position still can't be filled they use a registry service !!!!

Yes you are right I am a student looking to go into the program. And I have a question that is a bit off subject but when you did your clinicals did you experience any abuse such as talking down to you or attitudes people being rude and nasty?

69 months ago

Iam a student looking to get into this field and I do have a question for anyone wanting to responed. While doing your clinicls has anyone ever experienced the abuse that so many people on this forum are talking about. Is it really that bad, or on an everyday bases?

69 months ago

Kamille;
Hello , yes my extern was completed the end of november . As far as the attitudes from the co workers , yes alot had attitude and looked down ( it seemed ) on the tech externs . I just let that stuff go and tried to be upbeat and friendly no matter how I was treated. Now isn't the time to confront people with personal differences . Just do the job and get along with the patients , co workers and surgical staff. If you can't handle the personalities how are you going to handle the stress and rejection of trying to actually get a job in the field ? Believe me , thats when the frustration really begins .

69 months ago

Ok thanks I know I can handle the attitudes I am a CNA so being looked down upon comes with that job so thats nothing it just rolls right off, but have you ever had a surgeon throw a tool at you on purpose?

69 months ago

Kamille;
No , I haven't - that is pretty harsh !

69 months ago

Ok good so was it really just the nurses with the nasty attitudes, and will you consider becoming a First assistant?

Jeannie

69 months ago

I have had contact with students in OR Tech programs as well as SPD Tech programs. Most of them take on the responsibility of having to find their own externship sites. My thinking is that, if you are willing to contact O.R. Managers in order to personally arrange your externship, perhaps you could ask about the potential to be hired once the externship is completed, provided that you are successful in it. I think this might alleviate the concern they might have about a Tech that they don't know and are afraid might be too green to take on. This way, they know you, they trained you and you know the surgeon's routines. This is huge. Maybe, look at Careerbuilder and Craigslist for the areas you'd like to work and see if they have O.R.Tech openings. Try to contact the Manager and go from there arranging an externship. It might not hurt. Also, be professional when you meet face to face and have something to say about your aspirations and committment. I once hired an SPD Tech right out of a program simply because his brother and mother were in the field and I knew he would want to succeed. He became my best tech, went on to become an O.R.Tech and now an SPD Supervisor, all within 4 years. Work ethic has a lot to do with it.

69 months ago

Hello ; Thanks for your input . Again , I have already completed my extern . I was placed by my school and while they liked me it was a small hospital with only two full time scrub techs . The two they have are not leaving so there are no positions available . Over the last six months all the techs that went on extern went where the school sent them . None of them received jobs at the facilities where they externed though they all applied . The students have no choice in the matter of where to extern - or at least you are limited to only a couple of hospitals , these seem to use the never ending pool of externs to get free labor and are not giving opportunities for employment in return .
None of the other hospitals even offer unpaid training to get experience ( even after completing an externship in good standing ). As I said before , if you know of any that will hire recent grads , especially here in So Cal. please share the info with us.

Sherlonda in Oceanside, California

69 months ago

Misti in Long Beach, California said: Reading all of your comments and banter has been very interesting, I myself am a critical care/E.R. nurse at a animal specialty hospital.....yeah I know alot of you may not think that it is quite as demanding as human nursing, and I agree, I am looking into CST schooling. I absolutely love surgery! Being the lovely age of 44, the school that I am looking into is in Orange County, with clinical's at Kaiser, Hoag, Newport Memorial and a few other great hospitals.
Thank you all for your inadvertent information.

Hi where in oc for the school in looking into?

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon

69 months ago

Not to be the bearer of bad news, nor to speak badly of anyone who finished the program, but concorde's clinicals are only three months long, so I was told. (I could be wrong). Some people feel they should have had more clnical time, whereas for some, three months is plenty. You should research all of that completely. My program has a 9 month clinical with 24hrs/wk being the max time during the middle quarter. I appreciated every second of it! (Southeast Community College, Lincoln,NE-online program)
I'm currently starting my LAST semester the 7th, looking forward to graduation, associate's degree, and a job! (Oregon starts about $18/hr)

Barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

69 months ago

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon said: Not to be the bearer of bad news, nor to speak badly of anyone who finished the program, but concorde's clinicals are only three months long, so I was told. (I could be wrong). Some people feel they should have had more clnical time, whereas for some, three months is plenty. You should research all of that completely. My program has a 9 month clinical with 24hrs/wk being the max time during the middle quarter. I appreciated every second of it! (Southeast Community College, Lincoln,NE-online program)
I'm currently starting my LAST semester the 7th, looking forward to graduation, associate's degree, and a job! (Oregon starts about $18/hr)

Hello there:
How much did your program cost? What advice can you give for learning this program online, if I get accepted to take it?

In Tenn I think the starting pay is around $14-16/hour but I guess on call pay is not that bad.

69 months ago

All of you thinking of going to school , or already training are worried about the pay and other things that are not important at this time.... what you should be worried about is FINDING A JOB after you have completed your extern !!! Things have changed DRASTICALLY over the last 6 months and in the major cities there are DOZENS of recent grads applying for every surgical tech opening . NONE are getting hired without 1 yr. exper. I'm sure all the working scrub techs posting here are accurate in their comments about being a surgical tech. After paying $27k for schooling , doing GREAT in my externship I have found that there are NO , I repeat NO Hospitals or surgery centers here in Southern Cal. that will hire for any related position without at least one year experience -though there are some opportunities for those with one year experience .
Having said that I implore anyone wanting to become a surgical tech to read the posts from RECENT GRADS - not from those currently working . The reason is there is a HUGE glut of recent grads and few if any can find a job . PERIOD . Read the posts .
I would not attempt to start school and pursue this field unless you have a contact , IN ADVANCE , that will guarantee you a position upon completing your course in good standing. Even referrals from hospital employees are not enough to get an interview now . Even the best externs in the largest hospitals are not getting offers for positions now (unlike even 6 - 12 months ago) . Do not believe the school placement claims - their talk of high graduate employment rates now are hype , that the employment figures for the last year count ANY employment , while the truth is now over 80% are not even in the medical FIELD ! Again , check the boards , search the employment sites hundreds if not thousands of surgical tech jobs - not ONE will accept a new grad - if you don't believe me PLEASE check for yourself , unless you're in the South or plains states.. your chances are small.

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon

69 months ago

the program is about $55/credit hour, so it was about $5k for the whole thing. I would add in my student loans, fuel, costs of living,etc in also.

www.southeast.edu is the website
kuribe@southeast.edu is the program chairperson

69 months ago

I have tried to call the program director and sent her an email in the last week but I have not heard back....I guess I will just keep calling. lol. I really want to get more info on this program and see if it would work for me here in Sacramento CA.

69 months ago

Again , don't believe a word the school says about placements . A year ago they could place their recent grads.... now if you ask them how many of their recent grads THEY have placed (over the last 6 months ) my they won't answer the question directly- my school has placed or sent 0 students over that time. Most schools probably haven't placed anyone over the last several months - but they make their living off students whether or not you get a job isn't their #1 priority....
But I keep talking to working techs and they say its easy to find work for the new grads ( because they can't believe how things have changed ) but I'm unable to find any actual examples of new grads in this area ( so. cal ) or any other major metro areas . The only place I have heard about hiring a new tech grad is in the south , and the central plains . Let me know if there are any new grads in the area that have actually got a paying job in the surgical tech field (unless your parents are in charge of the hiring.....) thanks for your input .

steineymel in Aliso Viejo, California

69 months ago

ovstampco, where did you go to school? Newbridge college? Or CNI?

69 months ago

I don't want to name the school ( its not the one your planning on attending ) because the school did a good job . The real problem is the changes in hospital hiring practices and the recent scrub tech new graduate glut . Also, less than a year ago many of the best externs were being hired by the hospitals they externed at , this is no longer the case . No one is hiring surgical techs without one year experience now , the schools are basically putting the students resumes on the internet and thats all- they will tell you that if you can't get a job at a hospital try a small clinic or plastic center - I haven't found one that is looking and I have called about 20 all over LA , orange and riverside countys . I suggest you get specific examples of how many RECENT graduates (last few months) have been PLACED by the school .and I'm not talking about a year ago when it was common for the best grads to get an entry position . Also , people are saying that they sometimes start as SPD techs - this will not get you a job as a surgical tech the people that start in SPD don't get the opportunity to change positions - don't believe it - also I'm hearing the same lack of hiring in SPD is occuring.
The extern was great for me I really did well and loved the work but my advice is do not go into this unless you are guaranteed work upon finishing your externship .If you have a close relative thats a surgeon or surgical manager thats fine otherwise I would pass before investing $30k and 16 months of your life . Again , if there are ANY recent grads that have started a job withing the last 6 months or so around here , please let me know where and how . Of the last 8 or 10 grads from my school none have found a paying job as a surgical tech as yet.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sherlonda in Oceanside, California

69 months ago

where u able to find work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.