Surgical Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 350)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

69 months ago

No; I have my resume up on 70 sites , tried all the craigslist , employment development etc. etc. , went to the hospitals - very few will even talk in person now.... they say to send them your resume but , as you know they just ignore them if you don't have at least one year experience in a surgical setting .
What the hospitals seem to be doing is exploiting the free labor provided by the never ending stream of externs , and not offering any of them a chance for real employment . In this economy , I guess it makes perfect business sense... but as a hopeful surgical tech its hard to watch the surgeons making $800k or so a year , the nurses making over $100k while I'm here looking at $30k in debt and and a year and a half of my life invested with few prospects....knowing the more time that goes by the chances of me and my former classmates getting jobs are getting more remote....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Eugene, Oregon

69 months ago

I don't think that the hospitals are taking advantage of the never ending stream of students doing their Internship. A student should never be scrubbing a case by themselves. A preceptor must always be scrubbed with them. Hospitals take on a lot of responsibility when they let a student in.
Im sorry that its difficult for you to find a job. Have you tried teaching hospitals? It doesn't sound like you are willing to relocate to another area to find a job either. They aren't going to just drop one in your lap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I live in southern california , in the LA area . There are a few hundred hospitals and many hundreds of Surgical clinics withing 75 miles of here , my resume is out to all , I get updates from a multitude of job finding websites , spend many hours on the phone . One of the first things I did was try the teaching hospitals , and they like all the others are not taking in recent grads . ONLY people with a minimum of a year experience . You sound like you are already working in the field - any way , maybe you're right about the hospitals not taking advantage of the techs.... its just an observation one of my classmates threw out there...
As far as relocating .... I have heard of only a few recent grads getting hired in the country . They are in the south and the central plains . But really , for a $14 an hour to start job is it really worth it to travel half way across the country just to interview - especially when there are more hospitial jobs within 75 of here than there are in the whole southwestern 1/4 of the country ? Also most of the jobs that say they will consider a recent grad end up hiring people with experience anyway .... I'm going to keep trying around here , believe me I'm not giving up by a long shot .They do need alot of surgical techs around here , they are just not hiring new grads - and somehow I'll find a way . Thats why I did this post to find out if there are others in this area that have found a job around here recently - and how they did it . My best lead so far had just stopped hiring new grads and instead are giving all the jobs to registries . Again back to my original question , Are there any so. cal recent grads out there that have been hired for a paying surgical tech job ? If so where and how did it happen ? I've been doing these posts for a few weeks and have not had One success story - I'd sure like to hear a couple as would the other recent grads in this area.... ANYONE ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jadlpd1219 in Arnold, Missouri

69 months ago

I am finishing up my pre req's and will be beginning my one year surgical tech program in the fall. I know that I will go back to school after I complete my program, possibly to be an ultrasound tech but I change my mind all the time so I figured this was a good way to get my foot in the door in the medical field. I have read on many different blog sites that It can be very hard to find a job right out of school. I believe that jobs are out there, you just have to find them. My only concern is I will be moving to Chicago after I complete school so I won't have the option to travel to another location or to try in get a position at the hospital I do my externship at. Also, since I will most likely go to school to be a sonographer later I was wondering your advice on being an OB tech? Does anyone know about the pay? I have also seen positions for surgical tech in the OB, but I heard that they are hard to come by and it may hurt me in the long run to get into such a specialized field right out of school. Hospitals in stl do not seem to offer the ob tech position but in IL they do. I would love the patient interaction but I do not want to feel as if I'm not utilizing what I went to school for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Oakland, California

69 months ago

OB Techs are expected to scrub C-Sections so, being an O.R. Tech is advantageous however, some hospitals do their C-Sections in the O.R. anyway. OB Techs make less money than O.R. Techs and their jobs are more like a nursing assistant position. The hospital I worked at simply trained ancillary staff from housekeeping or medical assistants for the OB positions unfortunately. It got them into trouble on a few occasions by these personnel not understanding aseptic technique or how to recognize sterility indicators. You get what you pay for in other words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

Does anyone know of some good clinical sites in the Sacramento area? I know a couple people that have posted on this forum live in Sacramento. How many hours a week during the program are you working at your clinical site?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

69 months ago

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon said: the program is about $55/credit hour, so it was about $5k for the whole thing. I would add in my student loans, fuel, costs of living,etc in also.

www.southeast.edu is the website
kuribe@southeast.edu is the program chairperson

Thank you for the info. Kathy has contacted me and is going to mail me the information to get started. What was the hardest thing that you encountered doing this online?

Thanks,
Barbara

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon

69 months ago

The hardest thing was 1) disciplining myself to spend time in front of the computer and 2)letting the comments about taking an online class not bother me.
It is NOT easier, no matter what anyone says. I fell asleep in front of the computer, taken tests with my son in my lap, at 2am, and at the last minute. I've had killer headaches from staring at powerpoint presentations for hours on end. You have to commit to it. It is more convenient, but not easier. I was lucky with finding a hospital to do clinicals, because I already work as a cna in surgery, so I knew everyone and had lots of support. I feel like I've found myself with this career- SO glad I didn't get accepted into the nursing program! every second has been totally worth it.

69 months ago

Thank you for your response. I have taken (2) online courses and they are very hard. They were in Acctg though. I worry about being able to find a hospital that I can do "clinicals" in...Do you think that is a big problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

almost in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

Can someone tell me how much experience you recommend having before becoming a CFA? What is the best thing to get into as far as cardio, neuro??? Is it a bad idea to work in labor and delivery?? Is it easy to get jobs for oral surgeons, plastic surgeons???Thnx

rose in Oswego, Illinois

69 months ago

Miss Michelle in Buena Park, California said: I'm a 37 year old Woman, looking to go back to school to pursue a career as a surgical tech. I am very conflicted about choosing this career due to the fact I have heard so many negative aspects about the job. Can anyone tell me something positive? Can anyone give good solid information regarding schooling, pay and getting hired right out o school? Much appreciated, thank you.

I just graduated from the surgcial tech.program, and looking for a job now. I love the classroom lab and all my clinical rotations. I was lucky that I attended on of the best colleges (COD)in illinois. You can email me at rgaisey@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Congratulations ! Have you found a job yet ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Knoxville, Tennessee

69 months ago

Has anyone had to find a hospital to either do labs or clinicals in? Any advice on what to say to them to help you get your foot in the door?

Steve in Roseville, California

69 months ago

Julie in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know of some good clinical sites in the Sacramento area? I know a couple people that have posted on this forum live in Sacramento. How many hours a week during the program are you working at your clinical site?

A place you might want to try is Sutter General Hospital. They take on students. You will experience a wide variety of surgeries. The person to talk to there is Alan (educational director, a very nice person) I know that they are also hiring right now. Good Luck!

bob in Stony Brook, New York

69 months ago

I must have been spoiled in that we didnt have to do anything to get clinicals. It was handled by the school. This as well as job placement is what I tell people looking for a school.

blahhhhh in Saint Paul, Minnesota

68 months ago

Can someone tell me how much experience you recommend having before becoming a CFA? What is the best thing to get into as far as cardio, neuro??? Is it a bad idea to work in labor and delivery?? Is it easy to get jobs for oral surgeons, plastic surgeons???Thnx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Oakland, California

68 months ago

Physicians will rarely want to pay you themselves. It would be easier for Plastic and Oral surgeons however, oral may not pay as well. A very busy Plastic Surgeon may pay you per case. Few hospitals pay for first assistants either, you would have to bill insurance yourself. Kaiser Permanente Hospitals do hire first assistants...mostly surgical techs. I would recommend a lot of experience first and, a lot of confidence. The patient deserves that.

blahhhhh in Saint Paul, Minnesota

68 months ago

Thanks! This was very informative and helpful! :)

C in Apple Valley, California

68 months ago

My school takes care of the clincals for us, and 9 times out of 10 we get hired at our clinical site. One girl who just graduated got hired at Desert Regional Hospital in Palm Springs (her clinical site) right out of school.

Rick in Lansing, Michigan

68 months ago

ST is not the only career field where people are having problems finding jobs. Unless you are in Nursing, or a Doctor, this recession is absolutely killing the job market. The jobs are out there, but unless you rise above the rest of the competition, they will succeed and you will have to keep trying. I'm starting back to school this summer to get my CST. I really need a career change and have looked at this path before. Hopefully by the time I test, the economy will have turned back around and there will be more opportunities. There will always be jobs in this field as there will always be sick people who need help. I feel very confidant that I will be able to find a job, but if not, I will do something related to my training and see where that takes me.

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

68 months ago

Rick in Lansing, Michigan said: ST is not the only career field where people are having problems finding jobs. Unless you are in Nursing, or a Doctor, this recession is absolutely killing the job market. The jobs are out there, but unless you rise above the rest of the competition, they will succeed and you will have to keep trying. I'm starting back to school this summer to get my CST. I really need a career change and have looked at this path before. Hopefully by the time I test, the economy will have turned back around and there will be more opportunities. There will always be jobs in this field as there will always be sick people who need help. I feel very confidant that I will be able to find a job, but if not, I will do something related to my training and see where that takes me.

Rick: I think you go to the specific hospital website and look at career opportunities you should see some ST openings. I know here in TN when I checked about 4 big hospital websites they all had ST openings (some had 5 or 6 openings available now) I agree, I don't think you will ever have a hard time locating work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

So these schools make you find a place to do Labs and clinicals yourself? I dont get that. What do you get for your money? and what do you do in labs?

68 months ago

Most of the accredited schools place you into a hospital for your clinical (extern) I would advice before enrolling to make sure they place you at large hospitals and that the hospitals you extern at hire on a good many of their best externs because if you don't get hired on at your extern hospital you will probably never get hired , anywhere - no matter how hard you try . Thats how it is now, last year you still had a chance but now ... forget it !@

68 months ago

yeah I know I did school at a hospital affiliated with a university and got a job there. But I didnt think these other schools made people go find places to finish school clinicals them selves. Yes you wont have a chance in hell of getting a job unless you impress the people you do your cliniclas with. This job is like graphic artist of web site designer these days. and with no lisencing it will eventually be phased out of existance. Only nurses NPs or PAs will be allowed to scrub I predict!

68 months ago

Wanna bet not one of those vacancies will be filled by a new grad ? Wanna bet that not one of those vacancies will grant even an interview to a new grad ?

Steve in Roseville, California

68 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: Wanna bet not one of those vacancies will be filled by a new grad ? Wanna bet that not one of those vacancies will grant even an interview to a new grad ?

I have never heard of someone quite so negitive. It is no wonder why no one will hire you!! You need to find another hobbie besides discouraging people and spreading so much negitivity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Excuse me , I have sent in over 200 resumes in response to online postings for Surgical Tech and SPD jobs . My classmates between them have sent over a thousand resumes to these hospital online job postings and not one of us has had so much as an interview in the past 4 months from responding to these online postings.
I'm not being negative , just warning the new grads that just because they see hundreds of postings for ST's and sterile processing jobs on the internet the truth is as a new grad you will not be hired by them .
People have been hired , new grads have been hired but its only a small percentage and almost invariably they were hired by the hospital they did their internship at - if you think now that you can walk in somewhere and give an actual person a resume for a hospital position you haven't been around - at least not here.....
Again , I'm not being negative about these job postings for everyone , people with experience of over a few thousand paid hours will be considered for these jobs , new grads will not . If between our group of top grads ( I'm not including the flakes from our program ) if we have spent a couple of thousand man hours submitting these online apps and not even had an interview by definition it is a waste of time . Period .

mjames in Seattle, Washington

68 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: Excuse me , I have sent in over 200 resumes in response to online postings for Surgical Tech and SPD jobs . My classmates between them have sent over a thousand resumes to these hospital online job postings and not one of us has had so much as an interview in the past 4 months from responding to these online postings.
I'm not being negative , just warning the new grads that just because they see hundreds of postings for ST's and sterile processing jobs on the internet the truth is as a new grad you will not be hired by them .
People have been hired , new grads have been hired but its only a small percentage and almost invariably they were hired by the hospital they did their internship at - if you think now that you can walk in somewhere and give an actual person a resume for a hospital position you haven't been around - at least not here.....
Again , I'm not being negative about these job postings for everyone , people with experience of over a few thousand paid hours will be considered for these jobs , new grads will not . If between our group of top grads ( I'm not including the flakes from our program ) if we have spent a couple of thousand man hours submitting these online apps and not even had an interview by definition it is a waste of time . Period .

Does that tell you anything? Over 200 resumes and not even an interview?
Maybe have a pro look at your resume... now adays software programs search resumes for "Hot"words... Maybe try some other path into the hospital?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thanks alot for the comments . Just curious , are you a recent grad that was hired onto a hospital position by responding to an online job posting ? Myself and a few of my classmates had professional resume services do our resumes . Its seems that the main criteria they use to screen submitted resumes is how much paid hospital experience that you have - not really anything to do with how well we did in our schooling , clinicals or previous non-medical experience .
Around here the hospitals and clinics do not allow people to walk in and give resumes . Its online or nothing - they have circumvented the ability of the job seekers to have any face to face contact with the human resource people .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

0n line job adds are mostly to get you to suscribe to their job service. I think the jobs they list are just taken from other job finding services and are out of date just used to pad the page so they can charge advertising,

Shari in Conyers, Georgia

67 months ago

I am currently on my clinicals, how do you survive this? My precptor is a good teacher,but very hard(have cried a couple of times). Can some give me some advice? This is my first week of clinicals. Help!!!!!!!

rhonda

67 months ago

Hi, I feel for you. Clinicals are not for whimps as your are finding out! HA! HA! I remember those days! I cried many times, it's a hard profession. A lot of people don't remember their days as a "newbie". You want to remeind them that we all had our first day at some point. Just keep a good attitude and don't wear your heart on your sleeve. Cry on the way home if you have to. Don't ever let them know they get to you! Remember too that even though they are hard on you, you can still learn a lot from them. Just wait unitl a surgeon yells at you (ouch!). Hang in there it is worth it if you love it, it keeps you going. You can make it, don't get overwhelmed, there is so much to learn! Just take one case at a time. Always get your room assignments the day before if you can so you can look over your cases the night before, I did this and it helped me be mentally prepared. I have been a CST for 2 years and I absolutely LOVE my job, all the hard work and tears has paid off. Keep these days as a "newbie" close in mind so when the time comes for you to precept someone you can remember those first days and know what they are going through! Good luck and keep me posted and know that what your are going through is not just your experience, everyone I know as a student went through the same things!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K2008 in Albany, New York

67 months ago

So what are salaries/hourly wages usually like in this profession? Not sure if the salary sites are accurate. Thanks.

gypsy31 in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Miss Michelle in Buena Park, California said: I'm a 37 year old Woman, looking to go back to school to pursue a career as a surgical tech. I am very conflicted about choosing this career due to the fact I have heard so many negative aspects about the job. Can anyone tell me something positive? Can anyone give good solid information regarding schooling, pay and getting hired right out o school? Much appreciated, thank you.

At your age your really going to have to give some serious thought to how long you want to be on your feet, taking orders from others and being awakened in the middle of the night when your on call. I say this from experience, as I became a tech 12 years ago at the age of 30. While I love the job, it is rapidly becoming tiresome. Not due to the work itself, but the environment. RN's, whom you will be working under, often have very little respect for techs and the surgeons can be verbally abusive and often very demanding. Then, though there are many specialties you may chose from, the job does become rather repetative after a while. To justify my comments I must tell you that I have worked at over 12 different hospitals in my career, eight different cities and five different states (I was a traveler for 5 years)and every hospital had the same set of issues. I consider myself a great ST, and have had the opportunity to work at some of the best hospitals in the country and with some of the finest surgeons in the country since I have worked in Houston (home of the largest medical center in the world), but if I could do it over again, I would have become a nurse right from the begining. I recently recieved my LVN and will be continuing with my RN online. Good luck with your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Lynn in Irvine, California

67 months ago

I've been a surgical Tech at Cedar's in Los Angeles for the past five years and I love it! A lot of the adivce that is being giving to people who are interested in becoming an ST is unfair. ST is no different than any other programs that people are going to school for. I have friends who have gone to school and taking up parallegal, medical billing, dental assistant, alcohol and drug counslor etc. and everybody is having a hard time breaking into their field of choice. So it's not fair to discourage people from wanting to pursue their dreams of becoming surgical techs. During this hard economic time all fields are suffering. So to everyone who want to become ST's go for it, it is a awesome field and everyday is different it's not repeative, and great pay..............follow your dreams!

ovstampco in Orange, California

67 months ago

Without a doubt finding a job for almost any career is getting more difficult . I think the schools should start adding a section in their curriculum to teach the ST students how to find a job if they don't get hired by their clinical site , and I believe that the schools are not doing enough to assist in the hiring of the new grads. Making a resume and telling people to apply to online jobs is not helpful advice . The schools director and placement mgr. as well as the instructors with contacts should actively be lobbying the hospitals and surgery centers for opportunities for their best grads. I know alot of the posters are affiliated with some of the schools , and that 70% + of the new grads are still seeking employment after 6 months - the best deserve more assistance from their schools.

erika in Banning, California

67 months ago

C in Apple Valley, California said: My school takes care of the clincals for us, and 9 times out of 10 we get hired at our clinical site. One girl who just graduated got hired at Desert Regional Hospital in Palm Springs (her clinical site) right out of school.

HI! i was interested in becoming a surgical tech and i was wondering what school you went to and how much was it? i'm hoping to find some community colleges in this area so i don't have to pay an arm and a leg!

Surgerygurl in Tustin, California

67 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: No; I have my resume up on 70 sites , tried all the craigslist , employment development etc. etc. , went to the hospitals - very few will even talk in person now.... they say to send them your resume but , as you know they just ignore them if you don't have at least one year experience in a surgical setting .
What the hospitals seem to be doing is exploiting the free labor provided by the never ending stream of externs , and not offering any of them a chance for real employment . In this economy , I guess it makes perfect business sense... but as a hopeful surgical tech its hard to watch the surgeons making $800k or so a year , the nurses making over $100k while I'm here looking at $30k in debt and and a year and a half of my life invested with few prospects....knowing the more time that goes by the chances of me and my former classmates getting jobs are getting more remote....

I have been a preceptor of ST students and believe me, no one is taking advantage of the students. It is a very time consuming a tiring process training a student! ovstampco...you need to give it up and move on. You will never get a job as an ST with your attitude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Surgerygurl in Fullerton, California

67 months ago

Karina in Riverside, California said: Im 24 years old, and I've been a surgical tech for almost five years. I specialize in transplant surgery, and have at least a basic experience in just about every service (meaning peds, neuro, ortho, gyn, ent, plastics, urology and so on). This career has its good and bad things. Surgery is extremely exiting most of the time. Yes you get to see things that most human beings will never get to see in their lifetime, and you get to help people working as a team...for the most part. I really don't mean to sound negative, I really like surgery, but there are many very important things to consider before making the desicion to become a surg tech. Hours are really demanding if you work at a hospital. Eventhough most places can offer you a 3 twelve hour shift week and it sounds great... but try standing on your feet on a single spot for 99% of that time. Our job deals not only with the physical stress but also mental stress because you have to be able to adapt yourself to many different personalities, circumstances and moods at the same time in one single case. You also deal with the stress from surgery and stability of your patient. It really does not sound bad, but when you deal with it on a daily basis it takes a tow on you eventually. Another thing to consider is that you more than likely will be required to take call. As far as pay is considered, you can find places that can give you a "decent" pay. And I really mean it when I say the pay is not usually great considering the physical strain. I do not want to discourage anyone to better themselves through this career, but if you want my honest advice...get a nursing degree. You can still work in the OR doing the same as a teck, but making a lot more money for having a degree. If anyone would like further advice, feel free to e mail me keq6@hotmail.com

Are you serious? How do you think surgical technology was born? It is far too expensive to have 2 RNs in 1 r

Nancy Lynn in Costa Mesa, California

67 months ago

Hi,
I attended Career Colleges of America, in Los Angeles. And It was extremely exspensive. And yes I complained the entire time. The cost was 28,000. However I'm working at Cedar's in Beverly Hills and my hourly rate is 27 dollars an hour. and I work three days a week 12 hour shifts, I also take call. I work in cardio so I assist with open heart surgeries. When you work in cardio you can be on your feet from eight to eight teen hours a day. I get mountains of overtime, but trust me when I tell you, you'll earn every penny. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't succeed in this field, because you can. You just have to be a little patient and it will all come together. good luck............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

julie in Charleston, South Carolina

67 months ago

It is a very rewarding career. I have been a cst for almost 8 years. I get paid 40+ a year. I do just find, and you can always make more money with call or taking extra shift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Eugene, Oregon

67 months ago

I am graduating in 3 weeks from an accredited online Associates Degree program through southeast community college in Nebraska. My clinical site is not hiring right now due to low census and fewer surgeries being performed. I walked over to a brand new surgery center being built next door and they hired me on the spot! I haven't even graduated and I started work last Monday. We're just doing orientation right now and trying to get the surgery center up and running but it is very exciting to be in on the ground floor of a center like this. We get to help in setting it up, ordering instruments, putting things where we want them... plus it's all the same surgeons I worked with during clinicals so I know how they operate! I have to say that all of the hard work is worth it and I am very happy that I made the decision to go back to school. Obviously the program was an excellent one and my hard work in clinicals was worth it too. So to anyone looking to make a career change I say go for it! The jobs are out there, people will always need surgery, the pay is decent, and the job is rewarding. Good luck!

67 months ago

Jill in Eugene, Oregon said: I am graduating in 3 weeks from an accredited online Associates Degree program through southeast community college in Nebraska. My clinical site is not hiring right now due to low census and fewer surgeries being performed. I walked over to a brand new surgery center being built next door and they hired me on the spot! I haven't even graduated and I started work last Monday. We're just doing orientation right now and trying to get the surgery center up and running but it is very exciting to be in on the ground floor of a center like this. We get to help in setting it up, ordering instruments, putting things where we want them... plus it's all the same surgeons I worked with during clinicals so I know how they operate! I have to say that all of the hard work is worth it and I am very happy that I made the decision to go back to school. Obviously the program was an excellent one and my hard work in clinicals was worth it too. So to anyone looking to make a career change I say go for it! The jobs are out there, people will always need surgery, the pay is decent, and the job is rewarding. Good luck!

Good luck !!!
Sounds like you are on your way !!!

james in Olympia, Washington

67 months ago

Jill in Eugene, Oregon said: I am graduating in 3 weeks from an accredited online Associates Degree program through southeast community college in Nebraska. My clinical site is not hiring right now due to low census and fewer surgeries being performed. I walked over to a brand new surgery center being built next door and they hired me on the spot! I haven't even graduated and I started work last Monday. We're just doing orientation right now and trying to get the surgery center up and running but it is very exciting to be in on the ground floor of a center like this. We get to help in setting it up, ordering instruments, putting things where we want them... plus it's all the same surgeons I worked with during clinicals so I know how they operate! I have to say that all of the hard work is worth it and I am very happy that I made the decision to go back to school. Obviously the program was an excellent one and my hard work in clinicals was worth it too. So to anyone looking to make a career change I say go for it! The jobs are out there, people will always need surgery, the pay is decent, and the job is rewarding. Good luck!

hello, since youre from oregon, close to where i live, i was wondering how the job search went for you and your classmates? thnx.

joanne in Danbury, Connecticut

67 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: No; I have my resume up on 70 sites , tried all the craigslist , employment development etc. etc. , went to the hospitals - very few will even talk in person now.... they say to send them your resume but , as you know they just ignore them if you don't have at least one year experience in a surgical setting .

I notice so many of you live in California or Oregon. I was thinking of pursuing this career (medical transcription has basically evaporated due to electronic medical records) however I am older, my back hurts just from shoveling snow from a few days ago so I won't be pursuing this. Thanks so much to all of you for being so honest in what the job entails. However I am posting to let you know there are jobs out here on the East Coast. There are 3 Surgical Tech jobs listed at Yale New Haven Hospital and when I look at other hospitals in the area there are also one or two positions available. Sounds like California might have been saturated with Surgical Techs. As of now Connecticut has been saturated with X-ray Techs. Go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

joanne in Danbury, Connecticut

67 months ago

joanne in Danbury, Connecticut said: I notice so many of you live in California or Oregon. I was thinking of pursuing this career (medical transcription has basically evaporated due to electronic medical records) however I am older, my back hurts just from shoveling snow from a few days ago so I won't be pursuing this. Thanks so much to all of you for being so honest in what the job entails. However I am posting to let you know there are jobs out here on the East Coast. There are 3 Surgical Tech jobs listed at Yale New Haven Hospital and when I look at other hospitals in the area there are also one or two positions available. Sounds like California might have been saturated with Surgical Techs. As of now Connecticut has been saturated with X-ray Techs. Go figure.

Forgot to mention that Danbury Hospital in Danbury, CT has a Surgical Tech Program that runs from Sept to Sept and costs $3,000 plus $1,500 or so for books. I have heard from an RN, an anesthesiologist and several others that it is an excellent program. It goes from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm every day. They only allow 10-12 in the class and one needs to write a letter and have two reference letters in order to get in. If I were younger I would chose this route over a Tech School because the RN/teacher interviews a person and decides if he/she would qualify. Information can be found on Danbury Hospital.org

ovstampco in Orange, California

67 months ago

There are lots of jobs here for ST's in southern california. Everyday there are new jobs posted . Of the Hundreds that have been posted , none will consider a new grad . Only those ST's with over 1 year paid experience in a surgical setting. The only ST's getting hired around here as new grads are those that get hired by their extern sites. Those that don't get hired on at their extern sites don't seem to get jobs , at least not in the medical field.

Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

67 months ago

joanne in Danbury, Connecticut said: I notice so many of you live in California or Oregon. I was thinking of pursuing this career (medical transcription has basically evaporated due to electronic medical records) however I am older, my back hurts just from shoveling snow from a few days ago so I won't be pursuing this. Thanks so much to all of you for being so honest in what the job entails. However I am posting to let you know there are jobs out here on the East Coast. There are 3 Surgical Tech jobs listed at Yale New Haven Hospital and when I look at other hospitals in the area there are also one or two positions available. Sounds like California might have been saturated with Surgical Techs. As of now Connecticut has been saturated with X-ray Techs. Go figure.

Hello Joanne,
Your right about X-ray techs. That field in general is over saturated and it's difficult to find a job anywhere being an X-ray tech. My buddy graduated a year ago and couldn't find a job and finally gave-up looking and is now back in school going for a totally different degree and field. Even most travel agencies have dropped Rad Techs altogether cause of very low demand.

67 months ago

Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: Hello Joanne,
Your right about X-ray techs. That field in general is over saturated and it's difficult to find a job anywhere being an X-ray tech. My buddy graduated a year ago and couldn't find a job and finally gave-up looking and is now back in school going for a totally different degree and field. Even most travel agencies have dropped Rad Techs altogether cause of very low demand.

I had heard the same thing about X-ray techs.....I heard from a manager at a Medical Staffing Company, they NEVER need a X-ray tech because a nurse or LPN can easily do this job so why hire a specialized person to do it when they are trained also for this job.

lauringale in San Jose, California

67 months ago

Nancy Lynn in Costa Mesa, California said: Hi,
I attended Career Colleges of America, in Los Angeles. And It was extremely exspensive. And yes I complained the entire time. The cost was 28,000. However I'm working at Cedar's in Beverly Hills and my hourly rate is 27 dollars an hour. and I work three days a week 12 hour shifts, I also take call. I work in cardio so I assist with open heart surgeries. When you work in cardio you can be on your feet from eight to eight teen hours a day. I get mountains of overtime, but trust me when I tell you, you'll earn every penny. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't succeed in this field, because you can. You just have to be a little patient and it will all come together. good luck............

Hiya Nancy! How long have you been working in this field? Have you ever heard of places offering per diem part-time hours per week? Thanks!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.