Comments (301 to 348 of 348)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7   

jlb1191 in Buffalo, New York

39 months ago

Thank you for the info!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nekie in Charleston, South Carolina

38 months ago

julie in Charleston, South Carolina said: When I graduated back in 2002, the place i did my rotation, hired me when i got out. I moved to charlotte with less than a year exp, and i got hired. I moved to Charlestion SC. I work at MUSC, and than I quit, wanted to be closer to home. I had two more job offer. I have been a CST going on 8 years, and I love it! I get paid pretty good, and wonderful benefits.

What school did you attend for your training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rick - ORT in Sacramento, Ca. in Sacramento, California

38 months ago

Miss Michelle in Buena Park, California said: I'm a 37 year old Woman, looking to go back to school to pursue a career as a surgical tech. I am very conflicted about choosing this career due to the fact I have heard so many negative aspects about the job. Can anyone tell me something positive? Can anyone give good solid information regarding schooling, pay and getting hired right out o school? Much appreciated, thank you.

You work under the license of a Registered Nurse. You typically do something different everyday. You will be involved in every surgery by helping the surgeon (and their assistant) heal patients in need of surgery. There are numerous instruments, but the primary ones are mostly used by most physicians...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

msnurse46 in Morrisville, North Carolina

38 months ago

Hi Michelle,
I am a Surgical Tech and I love it! I am not Certified but I have 7 yrs experience in the field. I am an LPN and got on the job training at a hospital while working for a Nursing agency. I find it very exciting and rewarding. It gives me the feeling that I am really doing some good. If you still have doubts just look at the salaries and jobs available in your area. Good Luck and God Bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joanzie1 in Victorville, California

38 months ago

Miss Michelle in Buena Park, California said: I'm a 37 year old Woman, looking to go back to school to pursue a career as a surgical tech. I am very conflicted about choosing this career due to the fact I have heard so many negative aspects about the job. Can anyone tell me something positive? Can anyone give good solid information regarding schooling, pay and getting hired right out o school? Much appreciated, thank you.

I am 50 years old and also a new Surgical Tech. I graduated from Concorde in Oct. 2009 and started my job in Nov. Being an ST is my no means an easy thing to learn, and once you are on the job, that is when the REAL learning begins. It can be stressful, frightening, frustrating, tiring and downright scary at times. Certain doctors are very hard to deal with and have little patience for new techs. On the other hand, you will get to participate in surgery and become an important team member in a meaningful and exciting career. You are often looked down on by seasoned techs and OR nurses, and that can be difficult. I have a bachelor's degree in Zoology as well as my ST certification, so that can be difficult for me at times. However, it is definitely a fast-paced, interesting job. Hopefully you are in good shape and will be able to stand for long periods and handle overtime and call.
As far as getting hired right out of school; that's a tough one. Honestly, I totally lucked out when I got my job (it was not my clinical site, which totally sucked). The truth is, your success depends a great deal on how much your teachers like you. A sad but true fact. If the teachers like you, you will get a good clinical site with a greater chance for hire. I saw this happen at my school and have heard that it happenes everywhere. I think the only way to avoid the "favoritism" card is to find a jr college that offers an ST course, but I don't think there are any in So. Calif.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jean

36 months ago

HI, I'm a student tech and i'm in clinicals. Everything was great, until I had to go into Neuro. The Neuro surgeon is a jerk and lefthanded. I'm struggling loading the needles lefthanded and I dont know why. I can't stop stressing about it and he complained to my instructor about me constantly loading my needles wrong. Now I'm embarassed and don't know what to do. Can anyone give me pointers to help me remember how to load a needle lefthanded in a crile and a castro needleholder?

spear101 in Charlotte, North Carolina

36 months ago

If you are loading the needle right hand, the suture should being going off to the right as well; if you're are loading it left hand, the suture should be going off to the left, that is how i look at it. If you are having trouble doing left hand, just load it right and simply flip the needle over while it's still somewhat in the jaws of the driver. Your instructor should be able to show you some tricks...Also see if you can take one home to practice with, if not just practice at your schools lab. Practice really does make perfect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

adrian in Buena Park, California

36 months ago

Jean said: HI, I'm a student tech and i'm in clinicals. Everything was great, until I had to go into Neuro. The Neuro surgeon is a jerk and lefthanded. I'm struggling loading the needles lefthanded and I dont know why. I can't stop stressing about it and he complained to my instructor about me constantly loading my needles wrong. Now I'm embarassed and don't know what to do. Can anyone give me pointers to help me remember how to load a needle lefthanded in a crile and a castro needleholder?

grab the needle holder with your keft hand and load your needle with the tip pointing toward your heart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

spear101 in Kennewick, Washington

36 months ago

The way I remembered is that if you pull on the suture when it is loaded right hand, it is going off to the right, so it would be the same for the left. I always load it right and simply flip or turn the needle over. If you do that it will be left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Justin01 in High Point, North Carolina

36 months ago

The way I remembered is that if you have it loaded right hand, the suture will be going off to the right; pull on it to get a better visual, so the same would go for the left. I always load them right, and simply flip or turn the needle over, this will make it left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

misse220 in Greensboro, North Carolina

35 months ago

are you currently working in charlotte at this time? thanks

spear101 in Charlotte, North Carolina said: If you are loading the needle right hand, the suture should being going off to the right as well; if you're are loading it left hand, the suture should be going off to the left, that is how i look at it. If you are having trouble doing left hand, just load it right and simply flip the needle over while it's still somewhat in the jaws of the driver. Your instructor should be able to show you some tricks...Also see if you can take one home to practice with, if not just practice at your schools lab. Practice really does make perfect.

35 months ago

I'm actually in Greensboro. I'm still a student, but I graduate in July.

amarie

35 months ago

I was wondering about the job market around DFW, TX. Is it decent? Also, are vocational schools good in Arlington? Such as Concorde or Iverson? They are both accredited. I would go to TCC's program but my 3.2 gpa isn't high enough to get in.

35 months ago

Um, I don't know anything about any of those areas; never been there...

misse220 in Greensboro, North Carolina

35 months ago

Jean said: HI, I'm a student tech and i'm in clinicals. Everything was great, until I had to go into Neuro. The Neuro surgeon is a jerk and lefthanded. I'm struggling loading the needles lefthanded and I dont know why. I can't stop stressing about it and he complained to my instructor about me constantly loading my needles wrong. Now I'm embarassed and don't know what to do. Can anyone give me pointers to help me remember how to load a needle lefthanded in a crile and a castro needleholder?

what i do is load it right handed and just flip it over and that is it, i use to feel the same way. you can do it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trxie_1985@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio

34 months ago

hahaha, I always would load the needle for a left handed surgeon when it was typically for a right handed surgeon when I was learning. Eventually I got it down.

34 months ago

Jean, It is very simple. It's hard for me to explain without actually showing you, but just load in right handed, and simply flip it over 180 degrees and it will be good to go, I'm surprised no one has shown you that...

Jasmine Ferdinand in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

Were you able to find a job out of the program?

Sacjobs4u in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

There are a number of options if you are looking to get into this field but it can be very competitive and from what I have heard the credential program is very tough and it is a super competitive job market with jobs in our area (Sacramento, CA) being hard to find.

Anyway good luck and I hope you find the perfect job you are looking for!

Joanzie in Victorville, California

34 months ago

DiamondDave65 in Golden, Colorado said: We are looking for a CST to be part of a dynamic team within a rural hospital in NW Colorado, not Golden Colorado. Experience preferred but will train the right person. Beautiful new, 3 OR facility that specializes in Ortho, General, Endo, Uro, Lap, some Plastic, some ENT and alot of OB/GYN. Call is mandatory and usually works out to 7-8 days per month, usually in a one week block. Unsure about pay but can find out, usually is pretty competitive. I am a CFA, ST and am getting tired of all the call myself and another RN/CST have absorbed. I am only posting here because we are having a hard time finding someone to re-locate to our area to start, or continue their career. Area is big on hunting, skiing, hiking, biking, camping and any other outdoor recreation you can think of. I will check back often to see if anyone has any interest.
Thank you for your time.

Is there any conpensation for relocation? I've only been working for 6-1/2 months as a tech, but I'm certified and the OR I am currently working at has 9 very busy rooms. I am fairly experienced now with general, including lap. I like OB/GYN and can handle most ortho pretty well. Let me know if there is still an opening.
Thanks

mark in Colorado Springs, Colorado

34 months ago

Joanzie in Victorville, California said: Is there any conpensation for relocation? I've only been working for 6-1/2 months as a tech, but I'm certified and the OR I am currently working at has 9 very busy rooms. I am fairly experienced now with general, including lap. I like OB/GYN and can handle most ortho pretty well. Let me know if there is still an opening.
Thanks

Drop me an E mail I may have a position opening that you might be interested in. axgar@msn.com or hornstaffing@yahoo.com
Mark Horn

angel in Hemet, California

34 months ago

C in Apple Valley, California said: My school takes care of the clincals for us, and 9 times out of 10 we get hired at our clinical site. One girl who just graduated got hired at Desert Regional Hospital in Palm Springs (her clinical site) right out of school.

Hi, i was wondering what school did you go to?

Elena in Deltona, Florida

34 months ago

I am a thirty-something mom, considering a surgical tech carreer. My biggest fear isn't the standing all day. No one has mentioned anything about what happens when you are in the OR and nature calls? I am hypoglycemic and should eat about every three hours.If I don't eat, I get the shakes, followed by a horrible migranie. Are there snack/bathroom breaks for really long procedures? Depriving someone of any food, water or toilet breaks for, say a seven hour procedure appears quite cruel. How does that work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spear101 in Mechanicsville, Virginia

34 months ago

It all depends. Some places will give you a 15 minute break in the moring and an hour for lunch, and some don't give you a 15 min and only 30 min for lunch. However, if you work in a service that is doing minor/short procedures all day, you will usually have time to use the bathroom and eat something really quick between cases. If you are doing cases that last 7 or 8 hours, it usually not a problem for you to step out for a minute to use the bathroom, but if you were to do it a lot, It might be a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sabrina in Orlando, Florida

32 months ago

Can someone tell me What.s the entry level pay an hour for a surgical tech in Georgia working in a urolgy out patient surgery center

azal in Sacramento, California

31 months ago

lindsay in Sacramento, California said: thanks for the email. i actually start my program on sept 22nd...this month! i am very nervous number one to go back to school since i am 30, and have done sales and mortgage my whole career, but i am excited as well! i have one friend who is surgical tech and two best friends who are rn's so i hear alot, i really am interested in plastic surgery centers too, but i will work anywhere when i graduate, but your advice sounds right on!!!!i was worried about the whole"they won't hire you without any experience" thats whats really frecking me out!! some people on this forum have said don;t do it, that they couldn't get jobs after school!!! but everyone has a diff opinion

Hey, i was wondering which school did you go to for ST... i'm interesting in the program but not sure where to go or start...

surgical in Las Vegas, Nevada

22 months ago

Can anyone please tell me if Nevada Career Institute is a good school for Surgical Thechnologist. Also is it hard to find a job as a new grad here in Vegas?

charles shutt12 in California, United States minor outlying islands

21 months ago

If you are interested in becoming a surgical tech, you should have biology, chemistry, mathematics, and health courses in high school. Many colleges have an AS in surgical tech, which typically lasts for 24 months. You can do your AS if you have your high school diploma or a GED. Getting a certificate along with your AS can greatly increase your chances of finding a better job. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage of surgical techs is $39,920. To do your AS, it’s important to look for a school which has been accredited. I have also been interested in healthcare degrees, and looking at several colleges in and around my area. I had looked up CollegeAmerica accreditation on the Internet, and found that the college is accredited by ACCSC. So get your AS from a reputed and accredited school, and coupled with a certificate finding a job should be easy. Good luck!
goo.gl/DuTPM

Brittany in Mineola, Texas

14 months ago

Hi I am considering going to school for surgical tech. However I have a few concerns. I have a 3 year old and a three month old. By the time I get through school they will be 2 and 5. What I'm wondering is my husband is in the oil field so he's gone two weeks at a time and I'm trying to figure out is how demanding is this job. I don't want to go to school and find out it's to many hours away. Also I noticed to get the two year degree in ST it's the same pre-reqs as RN so is it better to just go for RN?

Michelle T_ in Colorado Springs, Colorado

10 months ago

I have many friends who work in surgery and most like their jobs. You become really good fiends with your co-workers because you spend every waking moment next to them in surgery haha!

ArizonaBoy in United States minor outlying islands

8 months ago

K2008 in Albany, New York said: So what are salaries/hourly wages usually like in this profession? Not sure if the salary sites are accurate. Thanks.

salaries/hourly wage of surgical tech is $22.53 per hour, $901 per week, $3,906 per monthly and $46,880 per year, source: www.surgicaltechsalarydata.com/

kmhorey in Phoenix, Arizona

6 months ago

If you do not get a job offer from a hospital during your externship, good luck, I graduated in 11/2011 and can not get hired because I am a new grad without experience. Everyone wants someone with a minimum of 2 years experience. I have read posts from women who have worked in the field for 5 or more years and do not like their job. To them I say, if you do not like the job you are in; get out of the way and let someone who wants and likes the job in.

6 months ago

azal in Sacramento, California said: Hey, i was wondering which school did you go to for ST... i'm interesting in the program but not sure where to go or start...

What ever you do, do not go to Brown Mackie college, they promise to help you find contacts for a position, but once you graduate you will never hear from them again

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

6 months ago

Elena in Deltona, Florida said: I am a thirty-something mom, considering a surgical tech carreer. My biggest fear isn't the standing all day. No one has mentioned anything about what happens when you are in the OR and nature calls? I am hypoglycemic and should eat about every three hours.If I don't eat, I get the shakes, followed by a horrible migranie. Are there snack/bathroom breaks for really long procedures? Depriving someone of any food , water or toilet breaks for, say a seven hour procedure appears quite cruel. How does that work?

You answered your own question. You can't walk out to use the bathroom or to go eat when your blood sugar is low.
Would you want someone, if you were a patient, in your operating room, who had limitations?
Why would you want to go into this field, anyway?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

kmhorey in Phoenix, Arizona said: What ever you do, do not go to Brown Mackie college, they promise to help you find contacts for a position, but once you graduate you will never hear from them again

Because there aren't many jobs out there.

6 months ago

Justin01 in High Point, North Carolina said: The way I remembered is that if you have it loaded right hand, the suture will be going off to the right; pull on it to get a better visual, so the same would go for the left. I always load them right, and simply flip or turn the needle over, this will make it left.

You are correct.

6 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: You answered your own question. You can't walk out to use the bathroom or to go eat when your blood sugar is low.
Would you want someone, if you were a patient, in your operating room, who had limitations?
Why would you want to go into this field, anyway?

Who are you to tell someone that, I am a disabled Vet and I also have some limitations, so you are saying that because I was injured in combat serving you that I should not be a Surgical Tech?

6 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Because there aren't many jobs out there.

Have you done an internet search lately, their are lots of outpatient hospitals looking for Surgical tech's, but they require 2 years or more experience.

6 months ago

Brittany in Mineola, Texas said: Hi I am considering going to school for surgical tech. However I have a few concerns. I have a 3 year old and a three month old. By the time I get through school they will be 2 and 5. What I'm wondering is my husband is in the oil field so he's gone two weeks at a time and I'm trying to figure out is how demanding is this job. I don't want to go to school and find out it's to many hours away. Also I noticed to get the two year degree in ST it's the same pre-reqs as RN so is it better to just go for RN?

Yes go for the RN, it is a much better idea, I had completed the ST program in 11/2011 and I am know attending college for the RN program. I fill as though I wasted 2 years in the ST program.

jlb1191 in Centerville, Iowa

6 months ago

Not too much good about the job. Graduated over 3 years ago...certified...never found a job and I moved out of state to do so. Wasted time and money!!! Go to RN school or you will regret it!

misse220 in Lafayette, Louisiana

6 months ago

I am a traveling surgical tech who went back to school around your age but, if I knew then what I know now I would have done the ultra sound tech or x-ray tech, they make just as much as rn's do if not more. I love what I do but just do your research first. Hope this helps

6 months ago

I am a traveler and there are jobs out here but, you just have to let employers out here know that you are a clean slate and they can form you into the employee they are looking for.

6 months ago

Barbara S in Maryville, Tennessee said: Hi Jill:
I read your post about the online ST program you are in? How did you find out about this school and how do you like it? I live in Tenn and am also looking for a online ST program since I work F/T but wanted to change careers (in my 40's) LOL. But I am very interested in this field. I also have a AA degree in Business .

Barbara

look into ultra sound tech also they make more than rn's or x-ray tech

6 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Because there aren't many jobs out there.

It's funny how you say there are many jobs there but I am a traveling surg tech and always see jobs there for those of us that are travelers???????????

6 months ago

misse220 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: look into ultra sound tech also they make more than rn's or x-ray tech

No jobs in that, bad advice for anything radiology.

6 months ago

misse220 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: It's funny how you say there are many jobs there but I am a traveling surg tech and always see jobs there for those of us that are travelers???????????

If that's what you want to do, but maybe some day you will want to settle in one place and not be traveling all of the time, so what will be your options then?
Look at all of the people posting who cannot find jobs.

6 months ago

kmhorey in Phoenix, Arizona said: Have you done an internet search lately, their are lots of outpatient hospitals looking for Surgical tech's, but they require 2 years or more experience.

Places post jobs, because they are looking for registry or pool techs. They are always looking for those. If you can live off of that, then do it.

Crazyscrubtech456 in Montgomery, Texas

5 months ago

Look, as far as jobs go, it all depends on the area and how you present yourself, I understand that it is very hard finding a place to work right out of school, but there are jobs out there. I just recently got out of the Army and I am 27 have 8 years exp. in all aspects of surgery and my CST and I got about 7 months left at Meridian till I get my CSFA. I moved with my family to Houston and started looking for a job a week ago, I started looking in Houston and holy crap there are jobs everywhere! It is raining ST jobs! I have been on 6 interviews at surgical centers and hospitals and medical centers. Got offers from everyone of them, not just because of my experience but also because I am very professional and know what to say at interviews. There are so many I currently turned down 5 offers and was able to driving my starting salary from $24 an hour to $29.75. And I start in a week. There are jobs, it depends on area, look at many websites and the hospitals in your areas websites. But again, it depends on WHERE you are..... There are tons here.... Going to school is also a good idea, keep furthering your education!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.