Surgical Technologist in England

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 120)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

just me in Knoxville, Tennessee

79 months ago

julio in Las Vegas, Nevada said: My family is planning to relocate to London, UK. Does anybody knows if the job responsabilities are the same as in the USA. Are the salaries the same as USA?
How can I findout about jod requirements.

Techs DO work there. they have a different title than we do. And they have different jobs. I think ODRP or ODTP look it up. There was a huge thing that happened in parliment about licensure a few years ago. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

julio in Las Vegas, Nevada

79 months ago

Jennifer in Durham, Connecticut said: I hate to bring bad news but in the UK the position of a surgical technician is done by a certified RN. That means you have to be an actual nurse to do the position over there.I looked into it a few months ago because I wanted to move to London and I'm a surgical technician. And right now we have a travel nurse from the UK that confirmed for me that surg techs over there can only be nurses.

I found out that Surg. Techs in UK are called Operating Room Practicioners (ODP). There is an association www.aodp.org. At the NHS (National Health Service) in UK have more information about it. According to NHS You do not have to be a certified RN only. I hope, I gave you good news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sanaZ in Sheffield, United Kingdom

78 months ago

i live in IRAN and i have 10 years experience in surgical technician, and know i want to move in uk but i want to make sure what i have to do to work as a surgical technician in uk as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vphillips in Glasgow, United Kingdom

77 months ago

Hi,
I am an operating department practitoner in the UK and I am considering relocating to Canada, where I believe the equivalent job is the surgical tech. The ODP training can be diploma or degree but we are not registered nurses. I dont know if you would need to get your qualifications converted though nor how.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sanaz in London, United Kingdom

76 months ago

dear mari, i realy dont know, this is my question as well, if u get some information plz tell me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Vphillips in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: Hi,
I am an operating department practitoner in the UK and I am considering relocating to Canada, where I believe the equivalent job is the surgical tech. The ODP training can be diploma or degree but we are not registered nurses. I dont know if you would need to get your qualifications converted though nor how.

hello, you'r mean i can work as a ODP without having any qualification from uk? i have my certificate & qualification from my home country but not in uk!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rach in London, United Kingdom

75 months ago

hi can you tell me if you need to do any specific courses to practice as an surgeical tech in canada if you are a qualified odp in uk ? do different states have different requirements? can you suggest where to look for this information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

richard Hersey in Columbia, South Carolina

74 months ago

rach in London, United Kingdom said: hi can you tell me if you need to do any specific courses to practice as an surgeical tech in canada if you are a qualified odp in uk ? do different states have different requirements? can you suggest where to look for this information

I am an ODP in England but moved to the USA. I am considered a Surgical Tech. here all I do is Scrub. If you want to talk email me at richardhersey@googlemail.com or call me 803 233 7737 but remember that I am 5 hrs behind you. best to call me at 10 pm your time.

Regards,
Richard Hersey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

julio in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I found out that Surg. Techs in UK are called Operating Room Practicioners (ODP). There is an association www.aodp.org. At the NHS (National Health Service) in UK have more information about it. According to NHS You do not have to be a certified RN only. I hope, I gave you good news.

Call me at 803 233 7737 or email me at richardhersey@googlemail.com as I am an ODP in England and a Surgical tech in the USA

Regards,
Richard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hello,
Why don't you apply as a doctor to the british medical society? More money and a better life styl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

yes i want do that!!but behind that course i want to work as a ODP if they accept my certificate from iran!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

djaber yahia in Leicester, United Kingdom

70 months ago

hi
can any one tell me what to do if I want to practice in canada. i am an ODP in the UK.
thanks

Huw in United Kingdom

70 months ago

Surgical Technicians are Operating Department Practitioners. Here in the UK you must be registered with the HPC(Health Professions Council) which generally require applicants to have a 2 year diploma in operating department practice. In the UK ODPs are Surgical technicians, anaethetic technicians and also work in the recovery department. There is also oppurtunity to work in A&E, special care baby unit, transplant teams, ICU etc.
You'll probably find more info here:

www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=255

Hope this helps

richard in Columbia, South Carolina

70 months ago

Huw in United Kingdom said: Surgical Technicians are Operating Department Practitioners. Here in the UK you must be registered with the HPC(Health Professions Council) which generally require applicants to have a 2 year diploma in operating department practice. In the UK ODPs are Surgical technicians, anaethetic technicians and also work in the recovery department. There is also oppurtunity to work in A&E, special care baby unit, transplant teams, ICU etc.

Hello,
Surgical techs are not ODP's. I am an ODP and also a Surgical tech in the USA. There is a big difference. You can work in the UK doing surgery only but you will not be an ODP. If you are an ODP you can work in the USA in the Federal sector as a Surgical tech but outside the Federal sector you will need to be Nationaly registered now. That means that you have been schooled in a recognize USA accedited school in Surgical tech program.
I hope this has helped

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Can I practice in canada with an ODP qualification in the UK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

mari in Louisville, Kentucky said: Im going to be odp, and i would like to move to london...
So where can i apply for a job?
Do i have to do a "certification" there to be allowed to work there?

hi
there are plenty jobs as ODP in Uk, in fact there is a big shortage.
you can work in the NHS or private sector. for nhs you can fill a form on line before getting an offer. go to Nhs career.
good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anancy1010 in Fort Worth, Texas

70 months ago

Yes they do i graduate from the training program in 87 i am orginally from england back then they went through a number of name change first we were mto medical tecnical officers then oda operating department assistance now i see another name change odp good luck i have been in the states since 91

Jane, in Chesapeake, Virginia

69 months ago

richard in Columbia, South Carolina said: Hello,
Surgical techs are not ODP's. I am an ODP and also a Surgical tech in the USA. There is a big difference. You can work in the UK doing surgery only but you will not be an ODP. If you are an ODP you can work in the USA in the Federal sector as a Surgical tech but outside the Federal sector you will need to be Nationaly registered now. That means that you have been schooled in a recognize USA accedited school in Surgical tech program.
I hope this has helped

Jane, I am surgical tech with 33 yrs. of experience and am very intrested in going to the England to work for 3 months at a time several times. I have a free place to stay and transportation. Can you give me any info that would be helpful in getting a job. Do I need to be part of any organizition of a global sorts? Thanks for ahything you gave give me. Jane

69 months ago

mari in Louisville, Kentucky said: Im going to be odp, and i would like to move to london...
So where can i apply for a job?
Do i have to do a "certification" there to be allowed to work there?

did you get any answer for you question about moving to london and working as a odp? if yes please tell me, and explaine it for me as well, because i want to move in the uk and working as a odp, i have worked about 10 years in iran, so if you get any answer for your question! send it to me too, thank you

n paulose in London, United Kingdom

68 months ago

hi there,
I work as an ITU nurse in NHS,London.Could you please tell me whether there is any fast track course to become an ODA/ODP while working.It would be really great if u can guide me.Thanks.

n paulose in London, United Kingdom

68 months ago

hi there,
I work as an ITU nurse in NHS,London.Could anyone please tell me whether there is any fast track course to become an ODA/ODP in nhs while working.It would be really great if anyone can guide me.Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Franklin, Tennessee

66 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I just graduated and am wanting to move to England. Does anyone know what I would need to do to be able to work as an ODP. Do I have to take another cert. test? I am a Surg, Tech. Please help..... I honestly don't know what to do.

Thank you

scrubperson in Chesapeake, Virginia

66 months ago

I have been looking into working there myself. Google HHC and read about what that is. Form people that I have spoken with have hospitals over there and in order to work in a public hospital you a have too join a organization called the MMC and the application fee is about $600.00 and then you are not assured a job. Your best bet is to join our organzition AST and then find a private hospital to hirw and sponsor you. You can then find out what you will need from them, it usually is not as much and their hospitals are much nicer and more like what your are used too here in the USA.

Lisa in Noblesville, Indiana

66 months ago

Hello all,

I am looking at going to school for a surg tech. In order to do so I have to do a career exploration packet. I need to interview some one in the field as well as interview someone who hires surg techs. Can anyone help me out?

pippa in Kingston Upon Hull, United Kingdom

66 months ago

did u get a reply? i'm in the same position

Eric in Franklin, Tennessee

66 months ago

Thank you so much for the informaion. I will research more and see what I need to do. I really appeciate it a lot.

Laura in Cape Girardeau, Missouri

66 months ago

If i'm already certified as a surgical technition in the USA, do I need to get re-certified in the UK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

farzad in London, United Kingdom

66 months ago

i have my certificate as surgical technition in Iran and i have 10 years experience, do i need to get certificate from uk if i want to move uk?

troy joyner in Portsmouth, Virginia

66 months ago

I have 18 years of surgical technologist experience under my belt. I am looking or considering going over the Pond perferably London or Manchester or Ireland. Please point this yank in the right direction with info or whatever will aid making my career path a reality. Thanks In Advance

yvette mitchell in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

Im graduating from an accredited surgical tech program here in ca next month, after externship does anytone onko if there is any realistic possibility of working in England? Birmingham to be exact? Please help??? Can someone point me in the correct direction so I can start working on it now? Much appreciated. What are the immigration concerns as well if it were to be short-term? Im an American citizen.

MattHuffSA in London, United Kingdom

64 months ago

Hi. I have a friend in NY who wants to come to London. He is a Surg Tech and our research has led us to the ODP, for which you need to be registered with the HPC in the UK to practice in the UK. However we think that ODP's appear to be more pre- and post-operating theatre without the focus of actual surgery, as for Surg Techs. We may be wrong on this but it appears that, if anything, ODP's can easily transfer to Surg Tech but Surg Tech CANNOT easily transfer to ODP's. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

It appears that Surg Tech is more close to a Scrub Nurse, which is different to the ODP route and requires registration with the NMC in the UK, and studying a general nursing degree. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I discussed ODP with someone from the CODP, the professional organization for ODPs, and they said that some ODP's continue to study on to become Surgical Care Practitioners in the UK, but you need to be an ODP first.

64 months ago

julio in Las Vegas, Nevada said: My family is planning to relocate to London, UK. Does anybody knows if the job responsabilities are the same as in the USA. Are the salaries the same as USA?
How can I findout about jod requirements.

did you get an feedback on being a surg tech in the UK?

yvette mitchell in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

no, nothing :(

64 months ago

richard in Columbia, South Carolina said: Hello,
I hope this has helped

Hi - I agree that surg tech and ODP are very different. You say that you can work in the UK "doing surgery only but you will not be an ODP"... can you advise how to go about working as a surg tech in the UK? A friend of mine from NY wants to do this.. thanks

64 months ago

Jane, in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Jane, I am surgical tech with 33 yrs. of experience and am very intrested in going to the England to work for 3 months at a time several times. I have a free place to stay and transportation. Can you give me any info that would be helpful in getting a job. Do I need to be part of any organizition of a global sorts? Thanks for ahything you gave give me. Jane

Hi, did you get any more info on this? I have a friend in NY who wants to do the same thing.. thanks.

64 months ago

scrubperson in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I have been looking into working there myself. Google HHC and read about what that is. Form people that I have spoken with have hospitals over there and in order to work in a public hospital you a have too join a organization called the MMC and the application fee is about $600.00 and then you are not assured a job. Your best bet is to join our organzition AST and then find a private hospital to hirw and sponsor you. You can then find out what you will need from them, it usually is not as much and their hospitals are much nicer and more like what your are used too here in the USA.

Hi - cna you explain a bit more please? I have a surg tech friend in NY who wants to work in the UK. Obviously he wants to minimize any re-certification he may be asked to do. Is there a way of transferring to the UK as a surg tech without becoming an ODP?

64 months ago

Laura in Cape Girardeau, Missouri said: If i'm already certified as a surgical technition in the USA, do I need to get re-certified in the UK?

Hi - did you find out more on your question?

64 months ago

troy joyner in Portsmouth, Virginia said: I have 18 years of surgical technologist experience under my belt. I am looking or considering going over the Pond perferably London or Manchester or Ireland. Please point this yank in the right direction with info or whatever will aid making my career path a reality. Thanks In Advance

Did you get any more info? - see my large post on this. It doesnt give clear answers though..

64 months ago

I have joined their organization for odp's and I am waiting to get my card. Once I get my card Iwill inqury about getting a 13 week holiday working visa. Once I get that then I can get employment. However Iam going to England hopefully this fall and will really check out things and post whatever I find out on this site. Hope this will help. I do know that they are in direneed of medical personnal.

richard in Irmo, South Carolina

64 months ago

Join the HCP you don't need to join anything else

64 months ago

scrubperson in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I have joined their organization for odp's and I am waiting to get my card. Once I get my card Iwill inqury about getting a 13 week holiday working visa. Once I get that then I can get employment. However Iam going to England hopefully this fall and will really check out things and post whatever I find out on this site. Hope this will help. I do know that they are in direneed of medical personnal.

Hi - yes joining the HPC as an ODP seems to be the way forward. How did you find the application process with the HPC? We are concerned that Surg Tech's would struggle to get registered as an ODP because Surg Tech's training and experience tends not to be as broad as an ODP. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your time on this..

64 months ago

richard in Irmo, South Carolina said: Join the HCP you don't need to join anything else

Hi - Join the HPC as what? As an ODP? Does a USA Surg Tech easily register with the HPC without need for further study or training?

64 months ago

Huw in United Kingdom said: Surgical Technicians are Operating Department Practitioners. Here in the UK you must be registered with the HPC(Health Professions Council) which generally require applicants to have a 2 year diploma in operating department practice. In the UK ODPs are Surgical technicians, anaethetic technicians and also work in the recovery department. There is also oppurtunity to work in A&E, special care baby unit, transplant teams, ICU etc.

Hope this helps

H- thanks for this information. From my research I agree with what you are saying. I have a friend in the US who is a Surg TEch and wants to come and work in the UK. We are getting conflicting advise on how he would practice in the UK - going toe ODP route seems to be a common answers but we are unsure if this will involve further education/training given that Surg Tech's are only 1 aspect of what an ODP is. Do you have knowledge/advise on how a Surg Tech from USA would practice in the UK? thanks...

Matthuffsa in New York, New York

64 months ago

scrubperson in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I have joined their organization for odp's and I am waiting to get my card. Once I get my card Iwill inqury about getting a 13 week holiday working visa. Once I get that then I can get employment. However Iam going to England hopefully this fall and will really check out things and post whatever I find out on this site. Hope this will help. I do know that they are in direneed of medical personnal.

Hi - yes joining the HPC as an ODP seems to be the way forward. How did you find the application process with the HPC? We are concerned that Surg Tech's would struggle to get registered as an ODP because Surg Tech's training and experience tends not to be as broad as an ODP. What are your thoughts/experience on this? Thanks for your time on this..

Shirley in Madras, India

63 months ago

Hi,

I am surgical technician, have 3 years of experience in this field.
I am searching job England or Canada. If anybody know how to search and apply jobs in these two contries. Please help me.

regards,

shirley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angelina Jackson in Glasgow, United Kingdom

63 months ago

Hi

I am a UK Registered ODP and want to know if its possible to get visa sponsorship to work in the USA

Many thanks

Angelina

63 months ago

I can't see why not. I think it would be better to have a job already in place though. ODP's are like our LPN's and only do scrubbing in the OR. I am an operating room tech and would like to work in England can I? If you anything it would help. I'm going over there in Sept. to look but don't know where to start. As for you you might try to google hospitals in the area you want to work and call or e-mail them.

ruthie in Auckland, New Zealand

61 months ago

Hi Guys,

i am a odp that is presently working as a anaesthetic tech in new zealand. I have had a look on line at the job discription for a scrub tech and it would be the same as the role of a ODP in the Uk. But like nurses we are registered, this means you have to gain registration with the HPC.
Only people holding the Uk qualification can register and work as a ODP. On the up side you could work as perioperative assistant, they need no registration and hold no quailifaction. You would work in the circulating role or scout role in theatre. In some places you can under go in hospital training which allows you to scrub. I know that as a scrub tech you would get a job as a periop in New Zealand but only in the private hospitals. Good luck with finding work guys.

Wilm in London, United Kingdom

61 months ago

Jennifer in Durham, Connecticut said: I hate to bring bad news but in the UK the position of a surgical technician is done by a certified RN. That means you have to be an actual nurse to do the position over there.I looked into it a few months ago because I wanted to move to London and I'm a surgical technician. And right now we have a travel nurse from the UK that confirmed for me that surg techs over there can only be nurses.

This is now incorrect there is a qualifiaction known as DipHE Operating Department Practioner

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

334 in Glenwood, Georgia

61 months ago

Thats not true, I am surgical tech in the USA and an ODP in the UK. You need to speak to the department head and send your CV. I new a surgical tech that worked at Torbay hospital for a few years. He was not an RN he was jst a surgical tech trained in the USA. So do believe everything you hear and just do your own homework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.