Surgical Technologist With Felonies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Marlon White in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

I am currently in mod 2 of my program and I recently caught a marijuana related felony will this hurt my chances of becoming a tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York

60 months ago

Hey marlon. Only u can hurt ur chances of becoming a tech don't let a felony stop u!! Get a certificate of relief from disabilities google it. Walk in the right path don't do anything illegal again. Get good grades stay focused. Learn from this mistake but don't cry over spilt milk... u will still b a tech, just do ur best, never let a felony stop u from ur goals in life!! Best wishes!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia

59 months ago

felony you need do research because you cant have no type of felonies if you are thinking about the health field. one more thing ST program do your research on that too. its already hard to found a job the plus a felony. think about a other career.need to get that felony off your record. think about nursing. great career. i completed the st program and have hospital experience still no job. dont believe what your school is telling. i know people who have graduated 2 years ago still no job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shirley in Memphis, Tennessee

59 months ago

If you have a felony, you will not be able to get a position in the medical field. You may try going to work in a vet hospita, some of them are not as strick as a medical hospital. The only other thing you can do is to hire a lawyer and have the charge removed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: YOU "CAUGHT" A MARAJUANA RELATED FELONY? I HOPE YOU ARE BEING CAREFUL SO THAT NOBODY ELSE CATCHES THAT! THIS SIGHT IS JUST AMAZING. I PRINTED THE COMMENTS OUT AND TOOK THEM TO WORK SO EVERYONE ELSE COULD ACTUALLY SEE WHAT I WAS READING. LIKE MYSELF, THEY COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I HOPE TO GOD THAT NONE OF YOU IRRESPONSIBLE AND DISHONEST "LOSERS" EVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CARE FOR ANY OF MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS. THAT IS A FACT. YOU ARE ALL PATHETIC! THE ASSOCIATION WILL BE REALLY PROUD OF YOU ALSO AS I HAVE COPIED AND PASTED THEM A COPY OF COMMENTS ON THIS SITE.

Hi Cindy. I just wanted to post a response to your judgemental statements. If a person has a felony on their record do you really believe that they are pathetic and a loser? If so why? If a person has served time and is now on the track to living a decent life do you really consider the person pathetic? In my opinion any person convicted of a felony and choosing to pursue their education and proceed to lead a decent life should not be penalized even further. I commend any person that has chosen to walk in the right path. There are many people that go to prison and do not care to change their behavior. There are some people that are not even ashamed of the crimes they may have committed. For the people that decide to change, shouldn't they be afforded opportunities to live decently? Second, what amazes me is the lack of compassion and empathy you seem to have for people. I would not wish to be in your care if I were on an operating table, if you are calling people names on a forum where people are just asking for suggestions and or support it seems there may be some immaturity on your part. People make mistakes, and people learn from them. Not all convicted felons are bad people, people can change and do good in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: YOU "CAUGHT" A MARAJUANA RELATED FELONY? I HOPE YOU ARE BEING CAREFUL SO THAT NOBODY ELSE CATCHES THAT! THIS SIGHT IS JUST AMAZING. I PRINTED THE COMMENTS OUT AND TOOK THEM TO WORK SO EVERYONE ELSE COULD ACTUALLY SEE WHAT I WAS READING. LIKE MYSELF, THEY COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I HOPE TO GOD THAT NONE OF YOU IRRESPONSIBLE AND DISHONEST "LOSERS" EVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CARE FOR ANY OF MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS. THAT IS A FACT. YOU ARE ALL PATHETIC! THE ASSOCIATION WILL BE REALLY PROUD OF YOU ALSO AS I HAVE COPIED AND PASTED THEM A COPY OF COMMENTS ON THIS SITE.[/QUOTE

Just a reminder, I'm quite sure that maybe some of the people working where you do, as well as other hospitals, have problems such as drug addiction (criminal act), stealing drugs from hospitals (criminal act), have done things in their past they are not proud of and are ashamed of, the only difference unfortunately is that they are/did not get caught. You may never know who you are surrounded by and what things people have done. There are very sinister evil people out there with no criminal record, and don't care to seek help for the problems they may have... in saying this keep in mind that no one is perfect, and that everyone has skeletons in their closet.. I'm sure you have a bone or two in yours... just like everyone else in the world...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

47 months ago

My name is Denise. Inmaturity and lack of compassion is not something I suffer from. If you read all of the comments I wrote you might understand what I was saying. I fully realize that people make mistakes. I am 48 and I have made plenty of my own mistakes as I am sure I will make more in the future also. What I said is that there is a blatant lack of responsibility and morals and pride when a person chooses to "brag" about convicted felonies they have to start with. The worst part is when you know you have done wrong and you try with all of your might to blame it on someone else or claim that the world is out to get you just because you have a felony conviction. If you do not like comments people are making based on your "alleged" facts of a felony conviction then why on earth are you all advertising it.

To say that hospitals and the Surg. Tech. Assoc. said it would not matter if she had a felony conviction is absolutely obsurd. There are too many unemployeed, hard working, compassionate and professionally driven people that will be hired before someone with a felony conviction. If you cannot accept that then that is too bad. Life can be tough. People do make mistakes and end up in crimes that they would later wish they did not get involved with.I am not saying you should quit or throw your hands up and sale crack or marajuana on the street corner.I am saying again, the operating room and patient care is not a job that can chance uneccesary errors due to someone being "a little stoned, drunk or buzzed".If you or anyone else disagrees then you all need to think about another career.Healthcare and Patient care is not a joke!It is a career that you have to have your full heart and mind into. You cannot be in it for the pay or the hours.A persons life is and should be extremely important to everyone.
If you think I am being harsh, you should try submitting these questions and comments to your local paper.You will see that the majority agrees with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

47 months ago

You are correct and unfortunately that is the world we all live in. Yes, I have bones and so does every other person over the age of 10. One thing I can say with the utmost confidence is that I do not have anything on a record, "in the closet" or any other place that I would be concerned about the Association or my employers or any of my patients as far as that goes.

Just a little extra information: I raised two children on my own without child support.I went to college full time and worked close to full time and stayed on the Deans list during the entire Surg. Tech. Program except the first Quarter. My son is now 31 and he is a Firefighter and Paramedic. My daughter will be 25 in Nov. and has her Master's Degree in Physical Therapy and is in a large Rehabilitation Group. Both of my children saw me work my rear end off, go to school, come home and study together, graduate and get two different wonderful jobs that we all were proud of. I was the first person in my family to go to college let alone graduate.I am so proud of my two children.They both worked at least 20 hours a week while they were going to school and never once thought of quitting.You have to love yourself and have pride in who you are and what you do.Your past actions will bear their faces sooner or later so now is the time to turn your life around for the good.Don't live life thinking or saying that the world owes you something.The world owes you nothing.You owe it to yourself.Education and work experience(especially patient care)is the only thing on earth that no one can take away from you once you get it.Value it with all your might. Just always take pride in all you do and say and you will be on the top of the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

47 months ago

There is where you have a problem. You go to work to behave in a professional and compassionate manner. You ultimately are suppose to be there to provide excellent patient care not divulge all of your garbage. It there are personal issues you need to share and you do not have a family member or friend to talk to maybe you should try talking to a counselor. If you find a good one, they will be your best friend and salvation at times. I know mine was when I was back and forth in court for custody issues while I was trying to work in the operating room. I needed a neutral person to vent to and that is what they are there for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

47 months ago

shirley in Memphis, Tennessee said: If you have a felony, you will not be able to get a position in the medical field. You may try going to work in a vet hospita, some of them are not as strick as a medical hospital . The only other thing you can do is to hire a lawyer and have the charge removed.

You cannot get a job with the VA, or any other Government agency with a felony anymore. Look up USAJOBS and pull up their questionaire, application and also in the job requirements of most every single job listed. During the Vietnam Era, unfortunately the VA hospitals hired the crappiest nurses and doctors because the people and the government could care less about those poor men and women back then.

Expunging a record is literally like a act of congress and is going to be extremely expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CA-TZA in Lubbock, Texas

23 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cisco in San Leandro, California

13 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: My name is Denise. Inmaturity and lack of compassion is not something I suffer from. If you read all of the comments I wrote you might understand what I was saying. I fully realize that people make mistakes. I am 48 and I have made plenty of my own mistakes as I am sure I will make more in the future also. What I said is that there is a blatant lack of responsibility and morals and pride when a person chooses to "brag" about convicted felonies they have to start with.
To say that hospitals and the Surg. Tech. Assoc. said it would not matter if she had a felony conviction is absolutely obsurd. There are too many unemployeed, hard working, compassionate and professionally driven people that will be hired before someone with a felony conviction. If you cannot accept that then that is too bad. Life can be tough. People do make mistakes and end up in crimes that they would later wish they did not get involved with.I am not saying you should quit or throw your hands up and sale crack or marajuana on the street corner.I am saying again, the operating room and patient care is not a job that can chance uneccesary errors due to someone being "a little stoned, drunk or buzzed".If you or anyone else disagrees then you all need to think about another career.

I dont think anyone is BRAGGING about a felony conviction. To be quite honest getting any decent job is very rare for a felon. To me these individuals deserve a second chance if theyve demonstrated that they are on the right path. You in the field of helping people through science and compassion regardless of who they are. Dont act so high and mighty and call us all pathetic, i dont have any felonies myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cisco in San Leandro, California

13 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: You cannot get a job with the VA, or any other Government agency with a felony anymore. Look up USAJOBS and pull up their questionaire, application and also in the job requirements of most every single job listed. During the Vietnam Era, unfortunately the VA hospitals hired the crappiest nurses and doctors because the people and the government could care less about those poor men and women back then.

Expunging a record is literally like a act of congress and is going to be extremely expensive.

Not entirely true, In CA it can cost around $100. You must complete your probation or whatever punishment was given jail, fine whatever. In this state you cannot expunge a felony...im almost certain of that. misdemeanors you can expunge. Expunged means you screwed up and were guily but you did what you were supposed to and then your guilty plea is turned into a not guilty or no contest plea and per 1402.2 the conviction is set aside and dismissed. However your record may show you were charged,arrested put in jail etc on the record even though it will say dismissed at the end. Its important you print out a copy of your own record to review it if you have one. If you were never convicted meaning your were never charged with guilty, you can get your record sealed and after 3 years the record will be destroyed. We dont live in North Korea, good people deserve second chances. Not everyone gets alot of help or any at all in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Atp4455 in Paterson, New Jersey

9 months ago

Can you get a job as a surgical tech with a dismissal case??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.